Carrots are good for the whole, kids go out and pick a thing and eat it, deal. Sweet potatoes sound like more trouble to grow, and then you can't eat them without cooking them, so they don't work for that.
Here's the other thing: Some vegetables are much tastier when fresh and/or home grown, but others, there's not enough difference to be worth the trouble. I can't imagine sweet potatoes are going to be any better home grown, since they're not the sort of thing where you eat tiny baby fresh raw ones, or anything.
That is a very, very good point. And if I really want cheap, locally grown sweet potatoes, I can go to the farmer's market -- they have them year round.
I bought two plastic tubs and some carrot and scallion seeds today. Dammit. It was only $15 for the whole operation, but now I have to go get more potting mix and some gravel to line the tubs once I've drilled drainage holes in them.
I said I wasn't going to do this...my plan was to start small with one or two plants that I could focus on and learn the basics. Now, with the blueberry bush I ordered today and the strawb
erry plants my mother ordered (she was planning on growing them herself but now she says she wants me to do it, "since you'll be out in the garden anyway"), I'm going to be growing five different things in at least four containers. (I'm going to start one tub of carrots and scallions now and see how it goes before I plant the second one.) That doesn't include the three-pot mini-planter of herbs and flowers in my kitchen window.
I did this when I was learning to knit, too. I would see a pattern I liked, fall in love with it, and think, "Well, I've never done lace before, and I've never done socks, but how hard could lace socks be? They're mostly holes!" (I did finish those, incidentally, and they're beautiful. My mom wears them all the time. But there was a lot of swearing involved before I finally bound off the toes.)
I swear, if I buy another plant this season, somebody come to my house and give me a good swift kick in the ass.