Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Fnord.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Indoor herb garden  (Read 24296 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Indoor herb garden
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2011, 12:43:52 am »

I heard they are delicious too.  You could kill two birds (so to speak) with one stone.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Indoor herb garden
« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2011, 01:10:32 am »

I read that cayenne pepper will discourage them from digging. Gives 'em a real hotfoot, literally.

Gonna try that out tomorrow, I think. We'll see if it keeps them out of the chives before I take the netting off the carrots.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Indoor herb garden
« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2011, 01:15:01 am »

A squirrel attacked me once.

My husband was also once attacked by a squirrel.  He has the cutest little scar from where it bit through his earlobe while he was trying to save it from certain death at the hands of his family cat.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Indoor herb garden
« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2011, 01:40:01 am »

I think. We'll see if it keeps them out of the chives before I take the netting off the carrots.

You want the squirrel and the chives together... in your skillet.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Indoor herb garden
« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2011, 01:49:01 am »

They sell cayenne pepper as a squirrel repellent to mix with birdseed. My recollection is that what happens is that you just get the squirrels who have a taste for hot food. I'd be interested to know if it solves the digging problem.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Indoor herb garden
« Reply #80 on: May 03, 2011, 02:13:49 am »

A squirrel attacked me once.

A moose once bit my sister.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Indoor herb garden
« Reply #81 on: May 03, 2011, 02:52:47 am »

They sell cayenne pepper as a squirrel repellent to mix with birdseed. My recollection is that what happens is that you just get the squirrels who have a taste for hot food. I'd be interested to know if it solves the digging problem.

From what I read, it actually makes their paws burn as they dig. I can't imagine it'd have the same effect in a bird feeder.

Worth a shot? I'll let you know if it works.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Indoor herb garden
« Reply #82 on: May 03, 2011, 03:56:03 am »

"I went to the movie theatre and when I was there, I ate a whole bag of CUNT flavoured Swedish giraffe."

I love you, Filter-Bot, you are the raddest thing.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Indoor herb garden
« Reply #83 on: May 03, 2011, 08:56:49 am »

while he was trying to save it from certain death at the hands of his family cat.

This reminds me of a question I have for cat owners. Do you try to save the lives of the mice that your cats attempt to kill? Also, for vegetarian/vegan pet owners, do your pets have the same diet? I know this is way off topic but I've had some discussions on the topics with friends and want y'all's take.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Indoor herb garden
« Reply #84 on: May 03, 2011, 10:24:15 am »

I am a vegan with about 7 years of professional pet experience (vet and cat shelter) and a vegetarian roommate with a cat.  Our cat eats meat, I am pretty sure all cats have to.  He does dig on tofurky, but I don't really give him that much, cause it can't be good for him (also, I haven't eaten that shit in months, I am kind of off processed foods.)

From what I understand, you can maybe get away with a vegetarian dog, but is not good for them, and you absolutely have to feed your cat meat.  My other roommate (vegan) has rabbits to avoid this whole thing.  If our cat was killing a penis I would stop him if it was just beginning and let him kill it if it was far enough that the penis was just going to die anyways.  Sometimes I cheer him on when he kills moths.  For some reason I fuck*ng hate moths.  They are just so disgusting.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Indoor herb garden
« Reply #85 on: May 03, 2011, 11:56:12 am »

From what I read, it actually makes their paws burn as they dig. I can't imagine it'd have the same effect in a bird feeder.

Worth a shot? I'll let you know if it works.

If they don't care that their mouths burn when they eat the stuff, I am doubtful that their paws are more delicate. But I would love to know what happens.

As for cats, it's the least they can do to kill vermin that gets in the house, it's not like they have any other job, so no, I don't stop them. I'm sure mice would kill me if I got into their house, so I don't feel any guilt about this. And yes, cats MUST eat meat. A vegetarian diet is a good way to kill them.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Indoor herb garden
« Reply #86 on: May 03, 2011, 12:44:05 pm »

My cats eat bugs, but we don't have mice. I don't eat a lot of meat, but what does my cat know? I'm not sure how humanely the animals are treated before they are made into cat chow. Now I'm curious. We do feed them IAMS, so maybe they're kinder about it?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Indoor herb garden
« Reply #87 on: May 03, 2011, 01:43:07 pm »

If our cat was killing a c*ck I would stop him

Well duh.  Who wouldn't?  OW!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Indoor herb garden
« Reply #88 on: May 03, 2011, 02:27:33 pm »

Iams products are mostly made with stuff like "chicken by-products" which is basically what's leftover when they cut away the parts of the animals that people want to eat. So they are regular factory farmed animals, raised and slaughtered in the usual ways.

There are smaller pet food companies that make a competitve point of where they source their meats, whether they are naturally raised, using the whole animal instead of just the by-products, etc, but I am not sure if any make a claim about whether the animals are more humanely treated. Possible, if they are using smaller farms, but I've never looked into it.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Indoor herb garden
« Reply #89 on: May 03, 2011, 03:07:07 pm »

Iams products are mostly made with stuff like "chicken by-products" which is basically what's leftover when they cut away the parts of the animals that people want to eat. So they are regular factory farmed animals, raised and slaughtered in the usual ways.

There are smaller pet food companies that make a competitve point of where they source their meats, whether they are naturally raised, using the whole animal instead of just the by-products, etc, but I am not sure if any make a claim about whether the animals are more humanely treated. Possible, if they are using smaller farms, but I've never looked into it.

I guess I'll just buy a bunch of chickens, giraffe, and rodents and make 'em fight it out - Thunderdome: Two small animals enter. One small animal leaves.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up