TOUAMB is the obituary page of the internet.
If this is the case, we've missed two big ones.
Well, a smaller one maybe with Gary Coleman's
recent passing.
So I partied with a cousin of Coleman's widow last night, and my friend had some interesting theories on the events leading to his death due to some recent interactions with the widow. Like, CSI: Santaquin interesting. (Coleman has been living in Utah County for a while now and died in the same hospital in Provo in which I was born, apparently).
I linked to that article because I saw Avenue Q only recently and wondered if current/future productions could really go on without him (not that he played the character Gary Coleman obviously, but the joked hinged on him being alive and mostly out of the spotlight, generally in situations inspiring schadenfreude in all of us).
But shit,
Dennis Hopper. Regardless of his tumultuous personal life, how you may have felt about him shilling for financial services companies, among other companies (personally I don't give a fuck), or whatever, Dennis Hopper, man. Dude's an icon. Well, I saw him at a Q&A after a screening of Hell Ride, a fun at times but pretty atrocious biker movie released a couple years back, featuring Hopper, Michael Madsen and David Carradine. A much younger person asked him how it felt to be an icon, and I think Madsen asked whether an icon is just an old Russian painting, so Hopper really isn't one. But still, Dennis Hopper.
My favorite Hopper scene that immediately comes to mind is him facing off with Christopher Walken in True Romance.