Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood The next time you appreciate how nice large titties look, be happy and smile to yourself. You deserve it.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: The World Cup 2010 Thread  (Read 36277 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 01:39:17 pm »

Soccer is what elementary school kids play for exercise, go play rugby.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 01:41:16 pm »

A World Cup primer for confused Americans:  http://theunlikelyfan.blogspot.com/

I particularly like this post, which compares the 32 World Cup teams to American pro and college teams.
http://theunlikelyfan.blogspot.com/2010/05/disclaimer-im-new-to-this-site-and-im.html

(A-Cap slipped in ahead of this.  Whatever, dude.  Go read some Frank DeFord columns.)
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 01:42:21 pm »

Quote
The 2010 FIFA World Cup kicks off on Friday, with the United States slated to play England this weekend. For the 10th time since 1950, citizens of the two countries will square off over a game they call by different names. Given that so much of the world favors football, why do Americans call the game soccer?

http://www.slate.com/id/2255959/
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 01:55:38 pm »

Carlos, are you going to Dupont Circle tomorrow to watch the game? I wanted to sign up to volunteer as the guy who turns the giant screens off during commercials but I'll be out in Leesburg instead going to Home Depot and other non-exciting things
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 01:56:50 pm »

I wish, but I will either be watching from home, or out doing something else altogether and missing the game.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 02:05:02 pm »

11th June

TODAY'S MATCHES


South Africa vs. Mexico
Venue: Soccer City, Johannesburg

The hosts kick-off in the fantastic Soccer City venue, eager to show that in addition to staging a great tournament they can hold their own on the playing field. Despite not having the international experience or raw talent of the big hitters, skilful players like Everton's Steven Pienaar coupled with home support will ensure a strong performance from Bafana Bafana. Mexico will be likely to prove a difficult first match, with their quick, short passing and talented attacking players leaving many teams chasing shadows; South Africa must exploit the relative defensive weaknesses of Aguirre's team in order to kick off their tournament with a win.

Judy's Prediction - 1-1

Players to watch: Stephen Pienaar, attacking midfielder (SA), Giovani Dos Santos, attacking midfielder (MEX), Carlos Vela, forward (MEX)


Uruguay vs. France
Venue: Cape Town Stadium

For all the brilliance of France's players, the theme of their World Cup is likely to be underachievement. A bonkers manager, player's spats in the dressing room and poor form leading into the World Cup all point to an early exit for Les Bleus, though football is an unpredictable game and France wouldn't be the first team to sort out their problems at just the right time and enjoy a decent tournament.

Uruguay will be looking to capitalise on this instability, and with two strikers in red hot form in Diego Forlan and Luis Suarez they certainly have the firepower to succeed. Their 3-5-2 system, currently out of vogue with the majority of international teams, could certainly ask questions of their more illustrious opponents and this should be an interesting game.

Judy's Prediction - 2-1

Players to watch: Yoann Gourcuff, attacking midfielder/playmaker (FRA), Hugo Lloris, goalkeeper (FRA), Diego Forlan, striker (URU), Luis Suarez, striker (URU)
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 02:07:36 pm »

The entire continent of Africa vs Mexico?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 02:14:16 pm »

Soccer is the most popular, most watched and most played sport on the planet

Fix'd

The entire continent of Africa vs Mexico?

Eh?

Jeebus Crackers good...a place for it all to congregate which I then can ignore.

Never say I'm not considerate
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 02:54:17 pm »

How do they decide which team is "home" for matches like these match-ups? Of course I'm assuming that the World Cup even uses the "Visitor at Home" standard for scoring.
Logged

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 02:59:52 pm »

http://www.slate.com/id/2255959/

gold:

"At least one impassioned advocate asserted that if English players were not allowed to hack one another in the shins, they might as well surrender to the French."

Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 03:19:46 pm »

How do they decide which team is "home" for matches like these match-ups? Of course I'm assuming that the World Cup even uses the "Visitor at Home" standard for scoring.

It makes no difference. Who's 'home' depends on the draw/the way the fixture computer drew it up.

South Africa have just scored a cracking goal despite Mexico having the upper hand most of the first half. Get in
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 04:01:01 pm »

11th June

TODAY'S MATCHES


South Africa vs. Mexico


Judy's Prediction - 1-1

Are you posting from the future? Did these games happen while us American lumps were sleeping? I think you're pulling a fast one.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 04:03:34 pm »

South Africa vs. Mexico Result


South Africa (Tshabalala) 1 - 1 Mexico (Marquez)

A good opening game that. Attacking, open game, if Mexico had a decent striker they could have put a few away, if South Africa were a bit luckier they'd have got a couple more.

Tshabalala opened the scoring with a lovely goal resulting from some brilliant South African passing against the run of play. Despite South Africa dominating, Mexico made their way back into it and were rewarded with a good control and finish from veteran Rafael Marquez following some poor South African defending.

South Africa were unlucky to hit the post through Mphele late on.

My earlier prediction: 1 - 1  8)
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 04:03:48 pm »

I know it's going to sound like I'm just firing for effect but...

How can you have an upper hand in a soccer game until you have a goal?

Until someone scores, all that has been concretely accomplished is a bunch of dudes in gym shorts passing a ball around at mid-field. This kills me about hockey too but at least in hockey there's a lot MORE shots on goal and at least a few fights. Without intermediate progressions toward scoring, such as yards or men on-base... it seems silly to say one team has momentum or control.

Is it just whichever team has been passing it amoungst their own guys more? Is it just whichever team has taken more... shots on goal, even if they weren't necessarily good shots?

These don't seem like actual good signifiers of "upper hand". It all seems painfully arbitrary.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17   Go Up