Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TOUAMB: Debating the decline and fall of Chris Onstad since 2003.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: The World Cup 2010 Thread  (Read 36309 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2010, 04:05:12 pm »

Just popping in to say, could you make sure you stay on topic so I don't have to read this thread?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2010, 04:08:06 pm »

1954, 1974, 1990, 2010
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2010, 04:13:29 pm »

I know it's going to sound like I'm just firing for effect but...

How can you have an upper hand in a soccer game until you have a goal?

Until someone scores, all that has been concretely accomplished is a bunch of dudes in gym shorts passing a ball around at mid-field. This kills me about hockey too but at least in hockey there's a lot MORE shots on goal and at least a few fights. Without intermediate progressions toward scoring, such as yards or men on-base... it seems silly to say one team has momentum or control.

Is it just whichever team has been passing it amoungst their own guys more? Is it just whichever team has taken more... shots on goal, even if they weren't necessarily good shots?

These don't seem like actual good signifiers of "upper hand". It all seems painfully arbitrary.

Ah LFM, my nemesis.

It's got nothing to do with statistics. Whilst statistics can perhaps indicate who is creating more chances/occupying the opposition half more often, dominance of a game is an objective and mental thing. It's easily noticeable if your team is the next most likely to concede whether playing or watching. It's like boxing. A boxer may be landing more punches or forcing his opponent back more, but the only way to determine who has the advantage (if there is one) is by watching and understanding.

One team/boxer can lure their opponent into a sucker punch by making them/him feel they've the upper hand whilst an observer can see the opponent is being played. Despite clearly playing/boxing better, a momentary lapse could change the balance of things immediately.

Seriously, just pretend statistics don't exist with football. You cannot understand football matches with them, at best infer.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2010, 04:33:04 pm »

Well, maybe that's part of why I'm not that into boxing, either?

I'm not saying that you're crazy to enjoy it, I'm just saying that I can't understand how you can enjoy something so narratively unclear. If I'm going to put three hours into watching something, if there's not a relatively clear story told, I'm going to be bored to tears. Without SOME kind of incrimental milestones in the action, to my eyes, it's just a bunch of dicks kicking the ball around except for the minute or two of aggregate action that's actually shots on goal.

I don't know how to enjoy it. I appreciate your attempts to help me, though.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2010, 04:42:06 pm »

The Onion's interactive guide to football.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2010, 05:05:05 pm »

LFM, try this as an easy (if somewhat ham-handed) metric.  Momentum is with the team that is keeping the ball down by the other team's goal a larger portion of the time.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2010, 05:15:17 pm »

LFM, try this as an easy (if somewhat ham-handed) metric.  Momentum is with the team that is keeping the ball down by the other team's goal a larger portion of the time.

General rule of thumb, though a team can be doing this and winning by playing on the counterattack. But yeah that's probably the easiest way of putting it.

Well, maybe that's part of why I'm not that into boxing, either?

I'm not saying that you're crazy to enjoy it, I'm just saying that I can't understand how you can enjoy something so narratively unclear. If I'm going to put three hours into watching something, if there's not a relatively clear story told, I'm going to be bored to tears. Without SOME kind of incrimental milestones in the action, to my eyes, it's just a bunch of dicks kicking the ball around except for the minute or two of aggregate action that's actually shots on goal.

I don't know how to enjoy it. I appreciate your attempts to help me, though.

That's fine, you don't have to enjoy it. I don't really enjoy plenty of sports. I think I just love football for the reasons you hate it if that makes sense, vice versa for your baseball and gridiron stuff. Pretty much everything about it seems opposable to your sports enjoying nature, same with me and your favourite sports. It's like music or literature or stuff, everyone disagrees no-one is wrong etc.

Football is popular for a reason though.

Hooliganism
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2010, 06:21:17 pm »

Logged

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2010, 01:16:09 am »

Abloo abloo (...)how you can enjoy something so narratively unclear.

Le sigh. Just saying it doesn't make it so.

I think we went through this in another thread, and if IIRC it all boiled down to something like: In soccer, it's possible to appreciate isolated moments - leading or not to a score - that are beautiful or ingenious in their own way. Even if you can't unfortunately, tap that resource of pleasure for yourself, you should be able to concede intellectually that an entire sport was built around the excitement, dread and anticipation that ensue from the physical challenge that is controlling a ball with one's foot; the recognition of these attributes of beauty or ingenuity being possible by having dicked around with a ball long enough to develop an appreciation of how fuck*ng difficult it is to have the thing doing what you want it to do.

The nearest we got from a consensus was that, in soccer, you have to know what to look for, otherwise it's just shouting at apples for not being oranges...
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 01:35:27 am by dejavroom »
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2010, 02:05:48 am »

Oh, I'm certain its hard as hell to do well.

It was fun as hell to play as a kid, it was the sport I enjoyed most playing other than baseball, which I was so embarassingly bad at that I had to become a super nerd to make up for my total lack of talent.

I just can't watch the damn stuff.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2010, 02:39:40 am »

I think we went through this in another thread, and if IIRC it all boiled down to something like: In soccer, it's possible to appreciate isolated moments - leading or not to a score - that are beautiful or ingenious in their own way. Even if you can't unfortunately, tap that resource of pleasure for yourself, you should be able to concede intellectually that an entire sport was built around the excitement, dread and anticipation that ensue from the physical challenge that is controlling a ball with one's foot; the recognition of these attributes of beauty or ingenuity being possible by having dicked around with a ball long enough to develop an appreciation of how fuck*ng difficult it is to have the thing doing what you want it to do.

Can I steal this?  I have a Facebook friend who is posting witty one-liners about how there's no scoring in soccer.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2010, 03:17:19 am »

Be my guest ^^
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2010, 03:18:03 am »

if i'm not gonna get my thousand cans for illegal turtle babies then deja deserves them for that bit above
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2010, 04:28:54 am »

there's no scoring in soccer.

I am hearing Tom Hanks say this, as in, "There's no crying in baseball."
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2010, 07:14:22 am »

At the Iron Maiden show tonight the singer was talking about the upcoming match between US and GB tomorrow evening.  I'm relatively certain that a good 99 percent had no iinterest in the match, but we all broke out in a chant of USA... USA... when he boasted that England was going to kick our arses. 

He mentioned the match again at the end of the concert.  I guess he's a fan or something.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17   Go Up