Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that nobody but Wombat notices what is in the News Box?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: The World Cup 2010 Thread  (Read 36286 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2010, 11:01:23 am »

Nice DJVRM. Always leave it to the Brazilians to talk football

Very hungover today. No France-Uruguay report, but it finished 0-0. France are such a disappointment.

12th June

TODAY'S MATCHES

Greece vs. South Korea
Venue: Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium, Port Elizabeth

Despite their unlikely Euro 2004 triumph, Greece are one of the weaker teams in the tournament and will be lucky to advance from the group stages if they cannot pick up any points in today's clash with South Korea, themselves shock semi-finalists in the last World Cup. With group rivals Argentina and Nigeria looking stronger on paper, a win is crucial for both sides today if they are to retain any hope of reaching the knockout stages.

Both teams are well organised and hard working, with the superior strength and height of the Greek team likely to cause South Korea problems at set-pieces. However, South Korea probably have the edge in open play. Hard to call and I can't see it being a high scoring game.

Judy's Prediction - 2-1

Players to watch: Sotiris Ninis, attacking midfielder (GRE), Ji-Sung Park, attacking midfielder (SK), Karagounis, midfielder (GRE)

Argentina vs. Nigeria
Venue:

Despite the madness of Diego Maradona, Argentina are genuine contenders for the World Cup and will be looking to make a statement of intent against a none-too-shabby Nigeria side. With arguably the most exciting collection of strikers and attacking midfielders in the world, Argentina should make great viewing this tournament, and defensive solidity is finally being approximated with a fairly settled back four. Best player in the world Lionel Messi will be looking to finally unleash his superb talent on the international stage, where he has disappointed somewhat in the past.

Nigeria also boast some top attacking talent, with Yakubu being the perfect battering ram to complement the flair and pace of Obinna, Odemwingie and Obasi. A lack of creativity in midfield may be their undoing however, with the mercurial Jay-Jay Okocha still sorely missed after his retirement.

Judy's Prediction - 2-0

Players to watch: Lionel Messi, attacking midfielder/playmaker (ARG), Vincent Enyeama, goalkeeper (NIG), Gonzalo Higuain, striker (ARG), Javier Mascherano, defensive midfielder (ARG)

England vs. USA
Venue: Rustenburg

The first match of Group C pits the might of England against their puny colonial und(enough of this Judy - mod)

England go into this World Cup 3rd favourites, and will have to prove they deserve the tag against the USA today. By no means an easy match, with the Americans hoping for a repeat of the 'Miracle On Grass'. They will be buoyed by a good showing in the Confederations Cup, where they knocked out current tournament favourites Spain, and are certainly capable of beating anyone on their day, allying creativity in Landon Donovan and Clint Dempsey with determination, displaying a professional and hard working ethic throughout the team.

England's major worry is the lack of a defensive midfielder, with Michael Carrick set to start there despite his woeful form this season. However, Rooney remains one of the most effective players in the world and the pace of Lennon on the right should cause no end of problems for the slightly one-paced US defence.

Judy's Prediction - 2-0

Players to watch: Steven Gerrard, midfielder (ENG), Tim Howard, goalkeeper (USA), Wayne Rooney, striker (ENG), Landon Donovan, attacking midfielder/winger (USA)
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2010, 10:04:51 pm »

Judy's Prediction - 2-0

To be fair, it's not the first time you guys have underestimated us.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2010, 02:00:03 am »

1-1  Not a bad match.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2010, 02:56:24 am »

Today [yesterday?] had the most woulda-been-a-goal-if-he-didn't-kick-it-right-at-the-keepers that I've seen, even Messi couldn't elevate the ball.  Messi really got robbed on his first shot on goal, though.  Anyway, I really can't wait 'til Argentina gets in top form, I want to see some explosive play and also I want to see some shots where this new ball knuckleballs around.  I ordered a Maradona jersey.

We really let the Stinklish off the hook, those overconfident nobs.  Going in at half-time I was only afraid of the draw, I knew the US couldn't lose after that blunder, but man, the second half had some pretty threatening shots on goal.  Guess I will have to wait 60 more years for "the retribution for 1812"............. or will I?

Anyway, tomorrow's games are pretty dull on paper but I'll watch them anyway, especially hoping Slovenia and Algeria draw, but it really doesn't matter.  I guess it will be interesting to see the Germans take the pitch.  They've got the nicest jerseys as far as white jerseys go.

U.S. has the worst, as far as white jerseys go.
Logged
ACHIEVE

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2010, 02:59:44 am »

Predictions, not results:

Slovenia Algeria 1-1
Ghana Serbia 2-1
Germany Austrailia 2-0
Logged
ACHIEVE

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2010, 05:39:43 am »

I wish I had a television or decent internet. It would be fun to watch the matches.
Logged

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2010, 01:34:18 pm »

Haha, sorry, I was going to predict 2-1 (which on the balance of play yesterday seemed about right) but because I copied and pasted the Argentina/Nigeria prediction and forgot to change the score. Honest.

Apologies. I wasn't thinking the match'd be a walkover at all, as indeed it turned out. Bit gutted with the Green mistake but the USA definitely deserved a goal from somewhere for their first half possession. You looked pretty tidy, bar the last 30 minutes you made us look pretty toothless. Rooney was marked out the game (and played terribly really)

Can see USA going far if they get some favourable draws.

Messi was brilliant yesterday, Enyeama properly denied him. Just walked through the Nigerian defence at times, looking forward to seeing Argentina on top form. If only Cambiasso and Zanetti were in the squad.. Reckon Milito should start ahead of Higuain next game.

Really pleased for South Korea. Greece showed no ambition but South Korea played neat passing football really well and have a pretty likeable team. Would love to see them through to the knockout stages ahead of Nigeria who looked a little laboured in attack.

Just watched Slovenia - Algeria. Finished 1-0 but it was a shocking, shocking game. Another keeper mistake the difference, though the sending off was hilarious.

Looking forward to the Krauts vs. the Aussies.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2010, 01:56:58 pm »

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/06/13/england-1-1-usa-tactic/

Excellent article on England/USA from a tactical viewpoint
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2010, 04:04:07 pm »

Looking forward to the Krauts vs. the Aussies.

Caught the second half of Ghana - Serbia. Was looking like it was going to end in a draw, and even after Ghana scored was still looking like it could. Serbia was achingly close to scoring several times even with 10 on the field. Good to see Ghana win.

I'm really excited for Germany - Australia. I'm glad I'm able to watch the first matches for USA and Germany (and most of Denmark tomorrow, at 5 AM!). I won't be able catch anything over the coming week so it's been a great weekend.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2010, 06:34:41 pm »

I`m not a football fan, by the way. I can understand it, and I appreciate a nice lance, or a compilation of scores, but I`m not a follower. All my friends are, though. It seems to be the consensus here with the football crowd, that the matches so far have been pretty boring. Now i`m here at a friend`s place, watching the Germany-Australia match. Lessee...
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2010, 08:26:47 pm »

...



Ouch.
Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2010, 10:48:26 pm »

Everyone seems pretty surprised by Australia's thrashing, but it was pretty well expected.  However Cahill's unfair red card has pretty much condemned the Aussies to go 0-3-0, I safely predict.

Tomorrow, great games, can't wait.  Denmark Dutch.  I'd cream myself if this played to a draw, but it'll go 3-0 or 3-1 Netherlands.  Cameroon Japan I think is the most interesting matchup of the day.  I wouldn't be surprised if Japan upset, but Cameroon should win by a goal.  Italy Paraguay, Italy 1-0.

In other news, the Lakers will go up 3-2 tonight on the road.
Logged
ACHIEVE

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2010, 11:04:18 pm »

In other news, the Lakers will go up 3-2 tonight on the road.

I want the Lakers to lose in the worst way, and not just because I hate them and I hate Kobe. I want to shove it in my cousin's Kobe-dick-slobbering face. He will be so satisfied if the Lakers win.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2010, 11:16:11 pm »

Poor Australia. Germany look a proper prospect though, just the right mix of young attacking talent looking to prove themselves (Ozil) and old heads who've been there and done it. The fact that Podolski has the caps and goals he does at the age of 24 is incredible. Big game player.

Really looking forward to Netherlands Denmark. Just love the Dutch, hope they can show some talent.

On my fantasy team so far:

Casillas NP, Maicon NP, Lahm got a tasty 8 points for his assist+clean sheet today, Johnson got the 1 for the USA game, Lichsteiner NP

Sneijder I'm hoping gets some tasty points tomorrow. Ozil got 3 for his assist today, Xavi NP

Rooney got a poor 1 point, Van Persie and Robinho NP
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2010, 09:02:19 pm »

I'm basically shocked by every result in the last 24 hours.
Logged
ACHIEVE
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17   Go Up