Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Alright, America. I'm playing the underpants and pants game. If just for one more day.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: The World Cup 2010 Thread  (Read 36334 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2010, 10:19:19 pm »

Quite happy for Japan. I love a good backs-to-the-wall defensive job, Cameroon didn't really deserve to lose but neither did they deserve to win. Bar hitting the post, at no point in the match did I will the ball to go in for them, they didn't put the effort in and were tactically poor. Japan are boring as anything but fair play to them I say

Bit disappointed with the Nederlanders. Probably deserved something but Sneijder, Van Persie and especially Van der Vaart were pretty disappointing for much of the game. Denmark look alright... Bendtner's a decent lad to have up-top, not much creativity in that midfield but Agger and Kjaers forward runs are fun. Reckon it'll be them two to progress but who knows?

Italy really stepped it up after conceding but were still pretty underwhelming throughout, and Paraguay are South American hatchet-men at their most stereotypical. Some really decent players but not utilised pleasantly. Think they just about deserved that draw though, some of the defending was top class.

Been a lack of goals so far, here's hoping Spain and Brazil smash some in and the 2nd round of games is a belter. Mid to Long range shooting and free kicks have been especially poor so far, wonder if the ball really is causing problems?
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2010, 11:43:12 pm »

The whole ball thing is total nonsense, it has the capability of screwballing/knuckleballing on a free kick from 30m, but it doesn't affect anything else.  Everyone is just nervous and putting too much on their touches.  Only Germany [I didn't see S. Korea] looked comfortable on the pitch at all.

Vuvuzela distraction is a much better excuse than 'bad ball.'
Logged
ACHIEVE

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2010, 11:47:08 pm »

The ball is physically different such that it does unique maneuvers. As an American who likes when shit happens, I approve of this goaltender avoiding technology. That said, clearly no one is gaining an advantage when all teams are playing with the same ball.
Also F the vuvuzela.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2010, 11:52:52 pm »

Yeah, don't really think it's owt to do with the ball, they're all professionals, all have to use it, shouldn't affect anything. Having played with it myself though it has definitely got a different feel on a, say, 10 yard pass. It's hard to tell how much of this is me thinking 'this is going act differently' and I subconsciously play it differently though. Also, if you twat it it does tend to act in an interesting manner. The main problem I found was the bounce is slightly 'off'. Bounces higher and further, screws up the muscle memory.

Like I said though, poor excuse for the world's best footballers to use.

The vuvuzelas get on my tits slightly. Carragher came out and said they're not too much of an issue when you're playing but for a lazy TV viewer like myself I don't really get the individual atmosphere of the games. It's just RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, no variation when a goal is scored, card awarded etc.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2010, 12:28:00 am »

What's the big deal?

Minor league baseball as I grew up understanding it was essentially an exercise in using noisemakers very similar to that.

Blowing big plastic horns and chasing down foul balls. That was the whole POINT of being a kid at a NY-Penn League game.

It is weird to me that they're treating this like a new thing.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2010, 12:48:44 am »

I wouldn't even know how to watch a minor league baseball game on television. The World Cup, however, can only be watched on television as far as Im concerned and it is basically impossible to enjoy at any volume with a hive of fuck*ng wasps blaring into every microphone.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2010, 12:58:17 am »

Yeah plus with thousands and thousands more people doing it, fuck*ng constantly, and as Judy pointed out, with no variation at all. I've learned to kind of tune it out, but it's annoying.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2010, 12:58:36 am »

What's the big deal?

Minor league baseball as I grew up understanding it was essentially an exercise in using noisemakers very similar to that.

Blowing big plastic horns and chasing down foul balls. That was the whole POINT of being a kid at a NY-Penn League game.

It is weird to me that they're treating this like a new thing.

There are two problems: It's not a typical soccer thing like singing or smoke bombs and like Judy said it doesn't vary with the action. It's just a constant drone. I mean, in basketball people don't wave those thunderstick things around when their own team is shooting a free throw, right?
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2010, 01:09:01 am »

Who LIKES the vuvuzelas, then?  I've seen a good dozen or so columns about people who hate them, but I have yet to read anyone in any format saying "Vuvuzelas are fuck*ng AWESOME and I blow mine all game long."
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2010, 01:17:56 am »

South Africans, apparently.

Quote
You either love them or you hate them. We in South Africa love them.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2010, 01:57:16 am »

Fair enough that I've never seen them extensively at a televised event and I suppose I've only been to events where a few hundred people were using them at ballgames or hockey games with a few thousand people in attendance but... I mean... it doesn't seem like it'd be any more or less annoying than thundersticks or cowbells or anything like that. Football games in the Carrier Dome got deafening just from 40,000 jingling their keys.

I dunno. I guess I think of any large sporting event as being necessarily deafening. Isn't that part of the charm of a truly raucous and devoted fanbase?

Maybe we're too used to corporate American sporting events where all the good seats are taken up by non-fans trying to impress business contacts?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2010, 02:01:38 am »

Maybe we're too used to corporate American sporting events where all the good seats are taken up by non-fans trying to impress business contacts?

Well, quoting the article I cited above:

Quote
In France, there's big, big noise about it. Viewers are completely mad by it ... it's very difficult to hear this permanent noise.

But what do the French know?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2010, 02:43:41 am »

Thanks for that, miles. It is good to know, here in the purple and gold heart of Laker-Land, that someone else wants them to fail as hard as I do.

Last nights loss tasted like mint.

Oh hell yes. If the Lakers lose tomorrow night I'm calling in sick the next day. AND getting into a fight.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2010, 02:44:43 am »

Noise is indeed important, atmosphere being one of the most crucial aspects pertaining to the enjoyment of any sport.

In football though, as I said, the constant ebb and flow of games makes crowd noise indicative and indeed part of the fabric of said game. It forms an innate relationship with what's happening on the pitch; if the game's exciting, the crowd make noise, if the crowd make noise, the game's more exciting.

Even if you didn't watch the links above, this is a really simple example, shows why: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifN1wHjcT7E Olympiakos fans, being the away fans, try winding up the opposition fans most of the game, making themselves heard and giving their team a boost. Their team has a free-kick in a threatening position, and you can tell what is happening just by the reaction. Anticipatory mumbling, the rise of voices as the kick's about to be taken, the OOOOOh as it goes narrowly over and clap signifying a decent effort. Then back to the chants.

Just by listening to the crowd, I can work out what's happening roughly on an area of the pitch. Add in the numerous chants and it really is an integral experience to most football matches, crowd noise. Same with your games too, I'd imagine. Apart from the general hubbub, there will be variation depending on the action presented.

Vuvuzelas are far more annoying than your usual extra-curricular stuff at a game. They are constant. They remove everything I have mentioned above as you cannot hear the crowd; if it's the odd bell, rattler or a samba band it doesn't overpower the rest of this. Whilst only a few hundred out of tens of thousands of fans might be using them, it just makes the game a drone and it makes everything curiously flat. You may as well watch the game on mute for all the dynamism they produce. Goal scored? RRRRRR Red card awarded? RRRRRR. At the end of the Japan match today, where they picked up an unlikely win, you'd normally hear the screaming of delighted Japanese as soon as the final whistle went. Preceding this, desperate urging from the Cameroonian supporters and nail biting silence from the Japs. But no, it was just RRRRRRRR.

Whilst I still enjoy the games, a lot of the 'flavour' of a World Cup derives from the individual chants and peculiarities of the teams involved; the Germans mass rallys where a megaphoned supporter directs chants and shouts, our own godawful England supporter band. You can make them out at their loudest, but it's not the same, it all fades away into the RRRRR by the end. The USA match, there was a decent section of the crowd chanting 'USA! USA! USA!' which I quite enjoyed, but it sounded pathetic against the RRRRRR's, as does everything else.

I'm really worried that during penalties, which are the best for this type of crowd reaction, it'll just be the droning. The furious whistles and boos from opposition fans, the encouraging roar or deadly silence of the team taking the penalty, the insane noise that follow a save or a goal. Possibly all gone.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2010, 02:51:33 am »

Judy takes us to school.

I watched the USA - England match at a pretty rowdy bar (an Irish bar, for what it's worth). They had the sound pretty well muted, but the crowd would have drowned out the droning anyway. My favorite chant: USA ain't nothing to fuck with
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17   Go Up