Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that someone should really go fix up the Achewood Wiki, the Achewiki, which could serve as a knowledge base for all things Achewood?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: The World Cup 2010 Thread  (Read 36325 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2010, 03:06:51 am »

"USA Ain't Nothin' To Fuck With" is officially the coolest sports chant I have ever heard of. Holy shit. By ten lengths.

There is now no longer any reason for another sport chant to ever be invented. The form is perfected by crossing a fuck*ng pro-wrestling U-S-A chant with the goddamned Wu Tang Clan.

The book is now closed on sports chants.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2010, 09:03:53 am »

Oh, I thought y'all were saying vulvazuela.  Is that some kind of sexualization of Venezuela?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2010, 01:32:48 pm »

Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2010, 01:53:03 pm »

Here is a pro-vuvuzela article: 
http://deadspin.com/5563628/in-defense-of-the-vuvuzela

Does make good points, but it fails to understand that just noise does not make good atmosphere. Noise as a I wittered on about earlier must have some relevance to the game and the fans. Also, the vuvuzela is not some integral part of South African football culture as some imply. It first started to be mass produced in the early noughties, and up until then dancing and chanting was the vogue for football fans.

Clearly though it is fun using them, or people wouldn't.

Also most of the arguments in the one above revolve somewhat around 'cultural imperialists', 'forcing our Western values upon them'. Can't be having with that, just an argument for someone looking for things that aren't there as they don't understand the actual issue.

ANYWAY

Fair play New Zealand. The first last minute dramatic equaliser of the World Cup -ticks list-
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2010, 01:57:20 pm »

Yeah, I tend to agree with your earlier post that the continuous nature of the sound just makes it kind of annoying.  It would be one thing to blast it when something interesting happens, but from the sound of things, there are people who just blow their horns non-stop throughout the match.  How can you actually, you know, watch while you're doing that?
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2010, 02:41:22 pm »

Yeah, I tend to agree with your earlier post that the continuous nature of the sound just makes it kind of annoying.  It would be one thing to blast it when something interesting happens, but from the sound of things, there are people who just blow their horns non-stop throughout the match.  How can you actually, you know, watch while you're doing that?

That's it in one really. I'd have no problem with them if they were contextual.

Ivory Coast looking pretty good. Fake Ronaldo is such a reprehensible sod
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2010, 03:57:28 pm »

Fuck me.

A SHORT fuck*ng CORNER WITH THE LAST KICK OF THE GAME? DOES ANYONE WANT TO ACTUALLY fuck*ng TRY AND WIN THEIR FIRST GAME?

FUCK ME
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2010, 04:15:22 pm »

Here is a pro-vuvuzela article: 
http://deadspin.com/5563628/in-defense-of-the-vuvuzela

The guy that wrote that article comes off like a complete ass.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2010, 04:45:03 pm »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2010, 04:50:28 pm »

America Watches World Cup

Haha, liked that. Never understood NASCAR, it's like a massive Southern thing though isn't it?
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2010, 08:20:21 pm »

Get in North Korea! Great showing..
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2010, 11:18:27 pm »

Haha, liked that. Never understood NASCAR, it's like a massive Southern thing though isn't it?

Generally, although the fans are everywhere.  Plenty of them out of the city in upstate NY, where the ratio of obese people on scooters rises one millionfold.
Logged
ACHIEVE

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2010, 03:04:14 am »

Oh hell yes. If the Lakers lose tomorrow night I'm calling in sick the next day. AND getting into a fight.

Fuck, I'm giving up.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2010, 04:22:28 am »

Generally, although the fans are everywhere.  Plenty of them out of the city in upstate NY, where the ratio of obese people on scooters rises one millionfold.

You are describing where I am right now.

...accurately, of course.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17   Go Up