Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Note how white pepper, ground freshly into one's hand, makes it smell as though you've been rubbing your open palm around on a horse's anus.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: The World Cup 2010 Thread  (Read 36162 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #90 on: June 17, 2010, 02:13:08 am »

I don't think I've ever rooted for a team of my ancestry in any international sport ever.

I've been to Italy once for a week. I've never even been to Belorus or Slovenia.

I don't speak a word of any of the languages and have no particular talent in any of those cuisines.

I don't know. I wasn't raised with much of a sense of ethnic identity, I guess, other than when I was a little kid and my dad told me "you can be anything in the world, Mike, except for the president. well, you could even BE the president but as a Catholic they'd blow your head off if you set foot in The South if the pattern holds."

My dad's a weird/awesome guy.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #91 on: June 17, 2010, 01:39:55 pm »

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #92 on: June 17, 2010, 02:47:18 pm »

Nice Aug-dog.

Argentina looked really convincing today. 4-1 win against South Korea is nowt to sniff at. Higuain on his way to be tournament top scorer, bagged a hat trick.

Greece currently drawing 1-1 with Nigeria. Nigeria looked v. comfortable until a really, really stupid sending off
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #93 on: June 17, 2010, 07:53:00 pm »

BWAHAHAHA FUCK OFF FRANCE

Mexico 1 - 0 France, 25 minutes left
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #94 on: June 17, 2010, 11:07:28 pm »

BWAHAHAHA FUCK OFF FRANCE

Mexico 1 - 0 France, 25 minutes left

Oh God that was so satisfying. 1) North American pride! 2) To quote a wise man "FUCK OFF FRANCE"

Turns out I can stream the matches at work so I've been able to watch quite a bit more than I had anticipated. I was actually working most of today so I only caught the last 15 min. or so of this match, but yeah. So good.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #95 on: June 18, 2010, 12:07:10 am »

Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #96 on: June 18, 2010, 01:40:10 am »

Jesus

STAY OUT OF FOOTBALL, RELIGION. YOU ARE NOT WELCOME

In all seriousness, that's pretty fucked up. Poor bloke.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #97 on: June 18, 2010, 02:45:51 pm »

Do many of you US lot support the national team or do you look towards your ancestry? Seems to be a theme with quite a few US soccer fans I know

I would do both, but my ancestors were from Scotland.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #98 on: June 18, 2010, 03:20:59 pm »

This ref is terrible.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #99 on: June 18, 2010, 03:43:50 pm »

Christ this is bullshit
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #100 on: June 18, 2010, 03:53:00 pm »

We was robbed!
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #101 on: June 18, 2010, 04:31:19 pm »

I need to find a replay of that one collision. It looked like the one guy go straight up DDTd. Even the announcers said it looked like pro-wrestling.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #102 on: June 18, 2010, 11:24:19 pm »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/18/usa-foul-call-controversi_n_617364.html

Maybe Judy will have better insight, but to me it's bullshit. Can't believe it.

A crazy day in soccer. England draws, Germany loses, and this bullshit.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #103 on: June 20, 2010, 02:15:27 pm »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/18/usa-foul-call-controversi_n_617364.html

Maybe Judy will have better insight, but to me it's bullshit. Can't believe it.

A crazy day in soccer. England draws, Germany loses, and this bullshit.

A terrible decision, but it's not unusual. When the stakes are high it's understandably galling but it's not uncommon for free-kicks to be disallowed for something only the ref has seen.

However, in this situation it's hard to see any rationale. Shame, quality comeback.

Anyway, I haven't been here past few days, some thoughts:

- France are a disgrace. All kinds of stuff emerging about dressing room cliques, bullying, a shame to see a team of talented players that should be playing good football implode so pathetically.

- England will suffer as long as Rooney remains devoid of inspiration. The attitude emanating from the team is disinterested, and the tactics desperately need to change. Joe Cole/Gerrard behind Rooney, as we desperately need an extra midfielder to counter our lack of inspiration and movement. Possession and relying on a spark from Cole/Gerrard is the only solution for the next game I fear.

- The South American teams have been uniformly impressive. All interesting tactically, all attacking, all playing intense high pressure games looking for quick counter-attacks. Can they keep it up? Hope so. Chile, Uruguay and Paraguay all cementing 'dark hoss' claims with their recent performances.

- FUCK OFF ITALY. Currently losing 1-0 to New Zealand. What the fuck is going on in this World Cup?
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #104 on: June 20, 2010, 03:52:18 pm »

NEW ZEALAND HELD ITALY TO A 1-1 DRAW!

This is absolutely bloody mental.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17   Go Up