Aggressive patriotism in international sporting events is hardly a singly American phenomenon, is it?
Well.. There was the holocaustism displayed by soccer fans in the Balkins before they actually started holocausing. Soccer was used by authorities in say Serbia as a tool to stir up nationalism and jingoism. Sorry I don't have any references or whatever you'll have to google it.
I didn't read the above linked article, but personally, I say FUCK patriotism. People are people, irrespective of what country they come from. A country is such a complex and bureaucratic thing. Allegiance to a country and holding it in high esteem is such a gross over simplification that it can only end (as it constantly does) in tragedy, suffering, and death. You love the flag? Yeah I admit, I respect the flag and it evokes emotions for me. I burn it from time to time too. People died for my right to burn the fuck*ng thing, so if I don't exercise that right from time to time, then they died in vain. Eh. So anyway, congratulations if you feel something for the flag, or the country. It's called branding motherfucker. You might love Chevy cars too, or Apple computer, or Microsoft, or your favorite brand of dildo, or the American Flag, or Jesus - it's all a matter of PR and marketing and
Word Craft.Of course usually
God is mixed in with patriotism, and that's just
bleh...-
edit