Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I haven't had a haircut since July. I'm hoping to, "wait it out."

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: The World Cup 2010 Thread  (Read 36169 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #135 on: June 25, 2010, 11:06:52 pm »

Every single South American nation has gone through, as have Mexico and the USA. The only non-New World nation to fall at this first hurdle was Honduras.

Big props, colonial offspring

Ghana are the only African nation remaining, whilst our Antipodean friends New Zealand and Australia both crashed out. South Korea and Japan meanwhile do Asia proud. North Korea, not so much.

I think this is the lowest amount of teams Europe has had in the knockout rounds ever.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #136 on: June 26, 2010, 08:53:51 am »

Europe suxxxxx
Logged
ACHIEVE

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #137 on: June 26, 2010, 03:53:01 pm »

Uruguay knock out South Korea! Fairly even game as expected, a beautiful goal from Luis Suarez to win it for the South Americans

Next up, Ghana vs. USA....
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #138 on: June 26, 2010, 07:19:29 pm »

USA start the 2nd half 1-0 down... Kevin-Prince Boateng given too much time on the ball before producing a good finish to beat Howard at his near post. USA failing to create much in the way of clear-cut chances while Ghana look dangerous on the break.

Could be interesting...
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #139 on: June 26, 2010, 08:31:04 pm »

1-1, extra time. However within the first few minutes the US defence falls asleep and Ghana score! 2-1!

ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN THE NEXT HALF HOUR
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #140 on: June 26, 2010, 08:33:11 pm »

OR NOTHING. QUITE POSSIBLY. ONLY TWO THINGS HAPPENED IN A WHOLE HOUR-AND-A-HALF.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #141 on: June 26, 2010, 08:37:48 pm »

OR NOTHING. QUITE POSSIBLY. ONLY TWO THINGS HAPPENED IN A WHOLE HOUR-AND-A-HALF.

Don't make me thumb my nose at you.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #142 on: June 26, 2010, 09:02:31 pm »

Quote
George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, General Custer, Al Capone, Jesse James, Babe Ruth, J Edgar Hoover, Franklin Roosevelt, Vince Lombardi, OJ Simpson, Homer Simpson, Michael Jackson, Johnny Cash, Mickey penis, John F Kennedy, Richard Nixon, Bill Clinton, Monica Lewinsky, Colonel Sanders, Jack Bauer, Henry Kissenger, Stephen Spielberg, Andy Roddick, Tiger Woods, Abraham Lincoln, Martin Luther King Jr, Paul Revere, Mark Twain, the guy from the Sopranos, Seth McFarlane, Tom Cruise, that guy with magic underwear who created Mormons, Al Pacino, Tim Howard, Landon Donovan, Bob Bradley, Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, BILL MURRAY. Your boys took a hell of a beating! Your boys took a hell of a beating!

Final score: Ghana 2-1 USA. Unlucky lads
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #143 on: June 26, 2010, 09:03:49 pm »

Ahhhh, I dunno.

It just feels like I can breathe again.

Because... you know... now ABC/ESPN won't have blind nationalism to try and shove this down my throat.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #144 on: June 26, 2010, 09:05:04 pm »

Too bad, I was kinda rooting for the US...
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #145 on: June 26, 2010, 10:21:55 pm »

Ahhhh, I dunno.

It just feels like I can breathe again.

Because... you know... now ABC/ESPN won't have blind nationalism to try and shove this down my throat.

Yeah, it's just hell when somebody enjoys something that you don't.  Luckily you can bitch and whine until it's over.  That increases everybody's enjoyment!

Because... you know... now maybe you'll STFU about how much you hate soccer.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #146 on: June 27, 2010, 02:53:14 am »

To be serious, though. I realize that you guys dig the soccer. I can't stand it on television but I do actually dig playing it (if I were in shape) and it's probably fun if you're actually at the stadium. You couldn't develop a sport less compelling for the purposes of how American sports broadcasting traditionally works if you tried, though, unless you did something ridiculous like having cars drive in circles for four hours while rednecks get drunk and pray for the spectacle of a deadly accident.

Which would just be silly.

What ISN'T comic exaggeration is the strange and disgusting way that ESPN has kind of... insulted everyone's intelligence and started pretending that it wasn't a fringe sport in America, in a really messed-up out-of-nowhere Big Brother kind of way.

"WE HAVE TO MAKE MONEY OFF THIS PROPERTY AND NOW WE ORDER YOU TO HAVE ALWAYS LOVED SOCCER, OR ELSE YOU ARE UNCULTURED AND UNPATRIOTIC!"

That corporate attitude is really what pissed me off. You guys dig a fringe sport, God bless, I mean I grew up in one of those tiny slivers of the world where people understand what the hell lacrosse is all about. But being ordered to suddenly enjoy a fringe sport by a television network that thinks it can determine what I like for me, that really got to me.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #147 on: June 27, 2010, 03:13:48 am »

Which part of STFU do you not understand? 

Seriously, we get it.  You don't like soccer.  There's lots of stuff that I don't care for, but I don't find it necessary to belabor the fuck*ng point to death, especially in a place where people who do enjoy it have come to discuss it. 

I'm sorry the corporate goons held a gun to your head and forced you to watch every minute of every game. 

I'm sorry they quit playing baseball for the duration of the tournament.

I'm sorry you can't conceive of the possibility that a sane, rational person enjoys something that you do not.

Now, seriously, Shut. The. Fuck. Up. about it.



""What" ain't no country I ever heard of.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 03:26:53 am by AugustWest »
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #148 on: June 27, 2010, 03:45:30 am »

You couldn't develop a sport less compelling for the purposes of how American sports broadcasting traditionally works if you tried, though

I don't want to start something, I really don't, but I just have to say....

...I find this really hard to take from a baseball fan.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

linear

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 95
  • Ah keep em cees lookin out
    • View Profile
    • This must be included if you specify a URL below.
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #149 on: June 27, 2010, 03:58:23 am »

You may have a point Linear, but it's sport, it's fun as human being to support your country whether they're awesome or terrible simply for the emotions it provides as they succeed/fail.

just because something is fun and provides positive emotions doesn't mean it isn't also destructive and doesn't come with negative consequences.  you should try to be aware of the consequences of actions.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17   Go Up