Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TOUAMB: Debating the decline and fall of Chris Onstad since 2003.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: The World Cup 2010 Thread  (Read 36319 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #165 on: June 27, 2010, 04:47:48 pm »

I can't believe the judge didn't call that goal, just by the rotation of the ball and the look of the bounce and spot it hit on the crossbar, it was so obvious.  Whatta frowny weekend.  But at least we get to look at Maradona in two hours, weekend is saved.

As far as the sports coverage argument goes, I've completely boycotted Sportscenter and the rest of ESPN's news and talk lineup forever.  Sick of them plopping shit on my dinner plate a la leading off with some Rothelisburger press conference, analysis of a Tiger Woods press conference, etc.  FUCK OFFFFFFFF fuck*ng CHANNEL GOD DAMNIT.  Sick of their corny catchphrases for every clip, sick of them sucking off college [American] football fans.  Sick of Stewart Scott's porcelain personality.  FUCK.  I hate it so much.

LFM, how could you not like clips of fringe sports?  Nowadays the only entertainment I'm interested in is alternative sports.  Australian rules football on the internet.  Discovering pro rugby on the internet was pretty entertaining for awhile.  Checkin' my phone for Finnish soccer scores, betting on teams that I never even heard the name before.  No one can handle my alternative lifestyle.  Alternative sports lifestyle.
Logged
ACHIEVE

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #166 on: June 29, 2010, 02:19:32 am »

Both games today had the underdogs being aggressive early and producing decent chances in the first fifteen minutes.    Shame it didn't produce anything for either team, but an entertaining day of games.  Tomorrow Paraguay v. Japan could be very interesting.  Japan were one of the hottest teams in the group stage and I'm looking foward to see their momentum carry into the round of 16.  Paraguay... well there are enough sudamerican teams remaining.

If Spain can find their top form they should beat Portugal pretty handily, but if they don't... they should still win after a 2-2 shootout.
Logged
ACHIEVE

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #167 on: June 29, 2010, 02:49:50 am »

Annoyed I'm missing so many good matches this week.

How about that Tevez goal?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #168 on: June 29, 2010, 11:01:36 pm »

I love Carlos Tevez.  Very happy to see him score the most powerful goal of the tournament so far.

Completely uninspired performance by Portugal today, meanwhile Japan fall to Paraguay in penalty kicks.
Logged
ACHIEVE

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #169 on: June 30, 2010, 04:56:13 am »

I saw about 30mins of Spain/Portugal - seemed like Spain held possession the majority of the time.  Scored once too.  I haven't checked on the final yet, but I presume Spain won.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #170 on: July 01, 2010, 01:42:29 am »

John Cleese on Soccer vs. Football. I love football but I think this is pretty funny. I also of course lover soccer. I just enjoy both and don't worry about trying to decide which is better or analyze why I like the sports. I'll leave that to LFM.

But the obvious answer to his question of why Americans persist in calling it (association football) soccer instead of football is because here in America you sound like a douche if you call it football and call American football 'American football.' It's how it is done here. Also, at least in the NFL, two people kick the ball, fucktard.

Also, what about basketball?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #171 on: July 01, 2010, 06:09:33 am »

John Cleese on Soccer vs. Football.

Yeah, that's pretty funny and I'm one of the guys that doesn't like soccer AT ALL! 

However, I do get a chuckle at how he goes on about America's lack of creativity when the whole world plays the same damn sport while only America it seems has the creativity to invent sports of our own.  And to describe the creativity of soccer he compares it to another great American invention, Jazz!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #172 on: July 01, 2010, 11:38:07 am »

And to describe the creativity of soccer he compares it to another great American invention, Jazz!

Ha ha, true. Answer Jazz, England!
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #173 on: July 01, 2010, 04:37:09 pm »

at least in the NFL, two people kick the ball
Technically, any player in possession of the ball can punt it.  American rules state that once a player on the same team as the punter touches the ball, play ends and the ball is dead.  Canadian rules allow anyone to advance a punted ball, so desperation plays involving a receiver kicking the ball downfield actually happen with some frequency.  In American rules the only rational use of the punt is the 4th down play we've all seen.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #174 on: July 02, 2010, 07:37:18 am »

only America it seems has the creativity to invent sports of our own.

Ahem.  Australia and Ireland would like to disagree with you.
Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #175 on: July 02, 2010, 08:06:11 am »

In my somewhat limited experience Aussie Rules is my favorite type of Football to watch.  Excitement of the American version, with a faster paced soccer style time system and no pads.  It is like the best of American and Association Football and Rugby. It was like 7 years ago and only one season on an American soccer channel though, so what do I know.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #176 on: July 02, 2010, 10:05:08 am »

Sorry I've been away for the past few days, been staying at the significant other's place and I've not been able to sneak in the time to chat football via the internet

What I caught of the round of 32 was interesting enough. Obviously massively fucked off with the England result but wasn't expecting anything more than a quarter final place. What an ignominious exit though.

Holland vs. Brazil later should be absolutely mint though
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #177 on: July 02, 2010, 01:01:02 pm »

Not to mention Germany-Argentina. 

Excellent piece on the history of Uruguayan soccer (by Joe Posnanski, the Best Sportswriter in America and I will kick anyone who doesn't agree).  I think they're my team now that the US is out.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #178 on: July 02, 2010, 02:04:26 pm »

I wonder why people don't feel compelled to shit on NASCAR the same way they shit on soccer.

I refuse to acknowledge that NASCAR exists until they either go back to using stock cars or change their name. Lying fucks.

I've been watching the games on my computer at work but I just realized that due to the schedule I may have to, for the first time in my life, find out what channel ESPN is and actually turn it on.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #179 on: July 02, 2010, 02:12:52 pm »

I've been watching the games on my computer at work but I just realized that due to the schedule I may have to, for the first time in my life, find out what channel ESPN is and actually turn it on.

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17   Go Up