Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Dude abides.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]   Go Down

Author Topic: The World Cup 2010 Thread  (Read 36178 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #240 on: July 21, 2010, 12:52:09 am »

Glenn Beck's opinions come from hating everyone who isn't a rich white American male between 28 and 64.
Glenn Beck's episode tonight was all about how much he supported that woman who was forced to resign after a video came out of her supposedly making anti-white statements at an NAACP event.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #241 on: July 21, 2010, 12:52:50 am »

i really doubt he hates any white male over 64 that isn't also his dad
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #242 on: July 21, 2010, 01:31:58 am »

Man Judy, you are gonna really start some shit in here if you bring up Glen Beck.  God, what a Colossal douchebag that guy is.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #243 on: July 21, 2010, 01:37:56 am »

To paraphrase James Lileks* "[Glenn Beck] is scarier than Satan. You can reason with Satan."



*in a way that I'm sure he would hate
Logged

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #244 on: July 21, 2010, 02:50:58 am »

Yikes. Did some further research, and well, sorry LFM mate. That was uncalled for on my part!
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #245 on: July 21, 2010, 03:30:12 am »

Glenn Beck is like if Rush Limbaugh was schizoid instead of meglomaniacal.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #246 on: July 21, 2010, 04:49:32 am »

He's a fuck*ng clown, and sure, possibly emotionally imbalanced. He's an entertainer whose single aim is to make money, with which I have no problem. His hero these days is Tyler Perry.

Quote
Beck says the only major difference between Perry’s product and his is politics. “[Perry] has the luxury of not doing the political stuff, which is really where I want to be as a company,” he says. “I just happen to believe the Republic is on fire and it wouldn’t be as effective if I had Pluto come out with a cartoon fire hose to put it out.”

But many of his ideas are ugly and hateful and he clearly has influence. Half of my maternal family are rabid Beckians. Also, although I've disavowed LDS theology and haven't practiced for years, it's still very important to me culturally. Beck seems to dig up the ugliest of Mormonism of the last half-century or so and champion it. Salon has an interesting piece on Beck and Cleon Skousen, whom Beck claims as an important influence. Most of you may not have heard of Skousen, but he was a paranoid racist, associated with the John Birch Society and generally caused discomfort among LDS church leaders. In fact, I understand that the LDS church distanced itself from Skousen, which is significant because many leaders had fringe conservative views back then. Really, he was, and remains, a thorn in the side of any reasonable believing or non-believing Mormon. And Beck is carrying his torch.

The LDS church has recently been a bit soft, though vague, on immigration. Just this week it released an official statement. I would just love to see the church come out, guns blazing, like it did for Prop 8, criticizing the Arizona bill and calling for amnesty or something like it, and encourage its members to contribute money to politicians and causes that support its views. I'm not arguing here that the church really holds views like that, because I have no idea, or whether that's the correct action to take. I would just love to see some of these self-righteous Mormons on the far right shit their #####, and then scramble to either justify their views or reverse them without seeming to flip-flop (see Mitt Romney for how not to do this). Conservative Mormons look down on their liberal brothers and sisters with the confidence that their political views are supported officially, and I would just love to see the tables turned for once. I haven't been been a practicing Mormon in years and apparently I'm still bitter about this.

This rant brought to you by ambien-resistant insomnia.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #247 on: July 21, 2010, 05:48:02 am »


And on that note, the world cup is over and so is this thread.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #248 on: July 21, 2010, 06:23:20 am »

To be honest, I think if the LDS leadership learned anything from Prop 8... and Romney's run, really... is that if they're gonna have any political power at all, they're gonna have to stand down and hang right in the middle of the American right wing movement and exercise influence behind the scenes. Standing in front, they're fucked from both sides.

Liberals or moderates aren't gonna agree with them 95% of the time, conservatives are going to agree with them 95% of the time but automatically distrust them 100% because the base of the American conservative movement are psychotic fundamentalist Protestants that by the xenophobic necessaries of being psychotic fundamentalists who view the Mormon faith as little more than Mohammedanism for white people.

Romney was the perfect generic cardboard corporate bland Republican and the 'thumpers preferred an all-but-stated-agnostic pro-abortion pro-immigration 90 year old man, almost solely because he wasn't Mormon. Hang toward the middle of the right. Deal with never being a king but helping beget them.

The liberal base will think of LDS as terrible Stepford people for the foreseeable future. The conservative base will think of LDS as polygamous alien worshippers posing as awesome Stepford people for the same. Maybe not fair. Certainly true.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #249 on: July 21, 2010, 06:47:35 am »

This thread really is over now.

LOCKED!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The World Cup 2010 Thread
« Reply #250 on: July 21, 2010, 06:59:47 pm »

But Paul, this thread would have been perfect material for your masters thesis in thread wandering analysis!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 07:03:44 pm by wombat »
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]   Go Up