Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Sssshhh...I'm discovering Sleater-Kinney. This is a special time in a boy's life.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuck summer  (Read 19922 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck summer
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2010, 05:19:25 pm »

If I was in Denver proper it wouldn't be such a bad gig. However, I have been driving between Brighton, Lakewood, and Aurora, which fuck*ng blows. Today, in like 20 minutes I have to go to Castle Rock. It is bullshit.

I did get to go downtown and go to Hamburger Mary's and the Wrangler, which was pretty fun. I get to go to a waxing studio on Broadway next week, which will be nice. Keith, I can't hit any of the dispensaries because a.) I don't have a medical card, and b.) it is not worth losing my job over at the next random piss test.

Logged

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Fuck summer
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2010, 06:38:50 pm »

Sheffield's amazing in the summer. Hot but not boiling due to the northerly clime and surrounding Peak District, the leafiest city in Europe, tons of public money put into keeping the streets clean so it's pretty sparkling and not too smelly.

Shame about the students
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck summer
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2010, 07:49:10 pm »

I did get to go downtown and go to Hamburger Mary's and the Wrangler, which was pretty fun. I get to go to a waxing studio on Broadway next week, which will be nice. Keith, I can't hit any of the dispensaries because a.) I don't have a medical card, and b.) it is not worth losing my job over at the next random piss test.

For reasons unknown, I was hoping "Hamburger Mary's and the Wrangler" was a play or something, or maybe a single location - as they sound like names that go together.  Hamburger Mary's does sound tasty though - there's something about a buxom lady and grilled meats that is just fine with me.  Also, is this The Wrangler you're meaning?  If so, it's interesting to see these clear gender presentations with some alternative sexualities at both venues.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Fuck summer
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2010, 08:14:50 pm »

When I was passing through Denver, heading east, the fact that there was a Hamburger Mary's in Denver was really fascinating to me.

Knowing of the one in West Hollywood from my time in LA, of course, the idea that there would be a hybrid hamburger-stand/gay bar was not so very shocking... in the large and openly-regarded gay community of West Hollywood, gay bar speciation wasn't the oddest thing to happen. I hadn't really CONSIDERED that such a thing would happen but I guess I  put little of my thought onto the notion of gay bars.

However the idea of a hybrid hamburger-stand/gay bar being FRANCHISED... this bespeaks a level of social development that is both encouraging and also kind of weird.

We are at the point where there are chains of gay-themed restaurants and on that level, that is a sign of awesome growing tolerance.

And yet. There is something unsettling about measuring our social progress in these terms. Standardized food service chains. Local businesses moving to a super-regional model.

Progress is progress and progress is great but, I dunno, measuring out progress in such strictly monetized ways is kind of a double-edged sword in a way.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Fuck summer
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2010, 08:28:30 pm »

there is a gay bar in St Louis called "The Loading Zone."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Fuck summer
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2010, 09:02:24 pm »

I am convinced that I remember passing a bar in the suburbs of Utica called "The Manhole" multiple times on the way to the mall as a child.

And, of course, as a teenager, I put two and two together and found it hilariously funny.

But no one remembers this and in the place I remember it being, there is basically just a normal redneck bar, such as would make more sense in, like, Yorkville or New Hartford or so on.

I distinctly remember it, though.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Fuck summer
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2010, 09:15:36 pm »

when I ran cross country in high school, we had this one brutal workout where we ran up and down this really long, steep hill.
People would try to shirk going all the way up, and so our coach stood at the top and demanded that we touch the Manhole at the top every time. TOUCH THAT MANHOLE, DAN. TOUCH IT.

and of course, jokes about "I'm gonna tell my mom coach made me touch his manhole... then we'll never have to do this again."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Fuck summer
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2010, 10:11:55 pm »

My high school's football coach was actually finally drummed out of the school district for molesting his players maybe... ten years after I graduated high school?

It was an open secret that he did but... I don't know. His dad was really well-connected and beyond that, the claims were so over-the-top brutal that I think a lot of parents didn't believe them.

Funny thing was, it wasn't that he was a SUCCESSFUL high school football coach. My high school set and I believe continues to hold the NYS record for the most games without a win, like three or four seasons straight of losses and one or two ties mixed in.

Got away with it for about twenty years straight, I guess. Had been kicked out of his first job for sexual misconduct too, it turned out, but got work at my school because his dad was well-connected.

Yeah, yeah basically I grew up in Twin Peaks, I dunno.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck summer
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2010, 10:56:10 pm »

If I was in Denver proper it wouldn't be such a bad gig. However, I have been driving between Brighton, Lakewood, and Aurora, which fuck*ng blows. Today, in like 20 minutes I have to go to Castle Rock. It is bullshit.

Oh, yeah, that absolutely blows.  Also, that bit about the dispensaries was just to show some of the finer parts of Denver, sorry. 

Today I want to the dispensary and then smoked in one of Denver's most beautiful parks with my friends from Oklahoma.  They went home now I am tired as shit after doing cocaine and drinking the past three days after not drinking for a year and only doing cocaine 2-3 times during that time. 

The park is the second best really.  I live in the gay part of town- 3 blocks from Hamburger Marys, and this park is where the "bears" hook up.  One time me and some friends were tripping there late at night and a friend picked up a container of vaseline.  That was probably the grossest thing I have ever seen, though she didn't and maybe never really understood why.  They are from a different part of town.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Fuck summer
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2010, 11:11:34 pm »

I want to tell my favorite story from when I was in Paris, but it isn't funny if I can't imitate this guy's french accent for you.

also it is a story about a picture, but, recently someone said something which makes me not want to link to pictures of my friends. even if they are publicly available?

basically they saw a bar called THE BEAR'S DEN and BEAR'S DEN is the name of the cafeteria at my school, so they took a picture of themselves in front of it.
then a guy came out, who was a Bear, and said, you have to have some bears in the picture! so he and his friends got in the picture.
then my friend explained, in mediocre french, why they wanted this picture.
then he said, in heavily-accented english "you don't KNOW what a bear is... it's... A BIG HAIRY GAY MAN!"

Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Fuck summer
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2010, 12:40:01 am »

Quote from: KeithHernandez
That was probably the grossest thing I have ever seen, though she didn't and maybe never really understood why.  They are from a different part of town.

Oh man. If I was high, I would explain it in SUCH a giddy manner.

"It is so they can have sex! With the ASS! It is so they could have ASS SEX! To lubrciate the asshole, you understand. So... so they could have sex."

Being able to ramble that out would be SO worth having been so utterly grossed out.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

fanta

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -32
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 128
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck summer
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2010, 02:04:12 am »

the downtown area in Denver where they have the MOMA is quite impressive.  I guess it was custom designed for tourists.  The streets are very wide, with few cars.  You really feel comfortable there.  The noise and crowding from excessive traffic and cars parked all over really is detrimental to the experience of many cities.  You maybe don't realize how detrimental cars are to the city experience, until you see an area like this downtown area in Denver, and you realize what a difference a reduction in automobile traffic can make. 

Maybe I just got lucky and visited on a day when there wasn't a lot of traffic, but either way, the streets were wide and you really felt comfortable there.  I guess it was an old warehouse district that had been converted into a downtown area.  It was a mixture I guess of residential lofts and tourist attractions and businesses. 

It seemed like a nicer experience than say, New York or Chicago, but then again, if I had the choice, I wouldn't live in any city I guess.
Logged

schnitzelbank

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 32
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck summer
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2010, 05:10:58 am »

Despite a degree of paleness that makes summer an endless loop of slathering on goop to ward off the burning death orb's cancer rays, the invasion of tourists, and the bugs, I am pro-summer. Lack of sunlight bums me out something fierce.

Summer in New York, however? Fuck. that. noise.
The only difference between neighborhoods is the price of the alcohol that gets turned into vomit and urine; and the dog food into piles of poo on the sidewalk. I'll take DC's stinky gingko trees over NY sidewalks any day. 
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Fuck summer
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2010, 08:03:27 am »

"

Weird, sb.  This is the first post of yours I've seen, guess I've just missed all the threads you've posted in.

Anyway, now that I'm getting into it's groove, I'm starting to enjoy this summer.  But what I said still stands.  NY is summer-awful.  And I'm proud of the anti-summer movement my rambling spawned.

I guess it's just because I played handball a few times and am looking foward to having a hot-handball summer.  Plus all my great superb-quality counterfeit jerseys came in the mail, so that is a summer good.  Then there is the Woodstock trip again comin up.

I'm gonna post a picture on facebook and tag everyone I've ever played handball with or talked about it with and be all like inspiring heads to play.  Hell, I'm about to make a thread to discuss your handball histories.
Logged
ACHIEVE

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck summer
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2010, 12:17:08 pm »

Another day of 100 degrees, I say indeed fuck this.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up