Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TOUAMB: Debating the decline and fall of Chris Onstad since 2003.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuck summer  (Read 19914 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck summer
« Reply #90 on: July 16, 2010, 09:24:26 pm »

They call it an air conditioner, but it is not an air conditioner.

It's probably cheaper to run than an air conditioner, though.

Also we are currently reaching into the 90s here, and the people are full of panic.  I'm thinking about stepping up the "install a cool roof" plan.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck summer
« Reply #91 on: July 16, 2010, 10:02:23 pm »

I was wondering about that, but then wouldn't the energy spent by the freezer heat the apartment up more than you are cooling it by? I guess if you have the freezer in a basement and the fan/cooler upstairs it can transfer the heat to a cooler part of the house.

Better than doing this in any case.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck summer
« Reply #92 on: July 16, 2010, 10:26:31 pm »

Better than doing this in any case.
+1 for duct tape engineering ingenuity
-10 for failing thermodynamics.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Fuck summer
« Reply #93 on: July 20, 2010, 12:59:45 am »

The a/c in my apartment is out. The a/c in my car works only intermittently. Fuck summer. Fuck summer so hard.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Fuck summer
« Reply #94 on: July 20, 2010, 01:15:54 am »

The a/c in my apartment is out. The a/c in my car works only intermittently. Fuck summer. Fuck summer so hard.

not the way it wants, either.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck summer
« Reply #95 on: July 20, 2010, 01:17:01 am »

Better than doing this in any case.
My friend pulled off this piece of engineering when his computer started blowing up in the heat. There is a tube going from his AC to a fan on the floor which is blowing on his computer. There is a carpet at the tube/fan intersection to reduce moisture blowing into his rig. Look what heat has reduced us to.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Fuck summer
« Reply #96 on: July 20, 2010, 09:57:34 pm »

Well, my parents' deli has a new air conditioner so the summer isn't half as bad as it started out.  And for like seven days straight I've either biked, played handball or soccer or both so I'm getting into decent shape and my endurance is skyrocketing.  Just wish my ankle would heal, and it would if the dudes would let me go a day without playing soccer.

Hey ACAP is the quote in your sig from Duke Nukem or from They Live?  I just watched They Live for no reason like a week ago.  I want to watch The Thing in a really well air conditioned room.  Maybe I should move a TV to the deli for that one.
Logged
ACHIEVE

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck summer
« Reply #97 on: July 20, 2010, 10:02:15 pm »

It is from They Live, which was awesome. The whole movie is on google video, but this is the scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp_K8prLfso
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Fuck summer
« Reply #98 on: July 20, 2010, 10:28:56 pm »

I am tanner than I have ever been, I think. I have the most intense sock tan ever.

Also, my neck is super red.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Fuck summer
« Reply #99 on: July 20, 2010, 10:37:32 pm »

The a/c in my apartment is working again. So I got home last night and noticed it wasn't blowing cold air. Gave it an hour and a half, and then put in a maintenance request. It actually started working again later last night, but I was so busy at work today I forgot to call and let my apartment office know. I got home with a note on my door: "Your a/c is performing very well. I would suggest setting the temp to between 70° and 75° when home." First, now I feel kind of stupid. I almost want to call and let them know I'm not a fucktard who can't operate his thermostat, that it really wasn't blowing cold air, and I gave it some time before I called it in. It doesn't help that I think the maintenance guys already hate me (even though I've only really called in one other maintenance request before) Second, that's way too low. It's pretty fuck*ng hot here right now and I'd like to keep my power bill below $60. 78° has been working fine for me.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Fuck summer
« Reply #100 on: July 21, 2010, 12:32:28 am »

Another pleasantly hot, breezy summer's day predicted for Britain-land tomorrow
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck summer
« Reply #101 on: July 21, 2010, 01:57:30 pm »

I am taking some much needed time off in a week.  I am torn between old school camping and renting up a delux cabin.  Both have their merits.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck summer
« Reply #102 on: July 21, 2010, 02:41:55 pm »

It's past the solstice but it just keeps getting bloody colder. Google tells me it'll be 68/40 F tomorrow. I'm having to wear a jacket every day.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck summer
« Reply #103 on: July 21, 2010, 02:57:15 pm »

I almost forgot that while we're bitching about the heat, Doc's in the dead of winter.

I have an idea -- let's have a TOUAMB convention in Queensland next July! 68F sounds lovely about now.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck summer
« Reply #104 on: July 21, 2010, 03:12:58 pm »

Sounds good. We can ship oball up for the occasion. I only have two couches though so there might have to be sharing.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up