I do find that cheap beer goes really well with shellgiraffe. Steamed crabs and cold Boh is pretty much heaven.
I don't doubt it. But his description of the pairing is funny to me, focusing on the sophistication of Bud.
My favorite beers lately have been Belgians. Saison Dupont is an excellent farmhouse ale. Chimay White is a great Tripel that is easy to find. Ommegang is a great American brewery brewing in the Belgian style; hard to go wrong with their brews. And when I want a great, fresh Belgian-style beer I can walk 2 blocks over to a local brewpub that has some amazing house beers on tap.
In the colder weather I tend to drink more holiday ales and stouts. I love the Anchor Steam Christmas Ale. Old Rasputin and Storm King Stout are two of the only Russian imperial stouts that I can actually enjoy more than one of.
I'm a big fan of Quadrupels. Always try to have some Rochefort 10 on hand. The two good beer bars in town tend to focus a lot on Belgians, so I drink a lot of those when I go out.
I imagine part of the reason you can enjoy more than one of those two Russian Imperials is that they come in 12 oz. bottles? I usually have some Old Rasputin on hand. I've been slowly building a collection of last years Abyss from Deschutes, and yeah, can only have one, but that's enough. Two local breweries have released a couple good Russian Imperials this and last year. I'm not really a seasonal drinker, aside from the fact that some beers are only released seasonally. Sure, if I'm going to be outside I'm not going to be drinking an Old Rasputin, but drinking with a meal inside I don't really care what season it is.