I know some of you garden, so this is place to share the details.
This is my first year using the garden we built last summer to it's full potential. It's also the first time I've planted root crops, and shortly after that it occurred to me that I have no clue what I'm doing. How do I know when the potatoes, carrots and onions are ready to be enjoyed? I'm getting conflicting info from different sources here.
Also, I am pretty sure I planted way too many potatoes, so I want to dig up a fair amount as small "new potatoes." The plants are on the verge of flowering now - so how much longer do I wait?
We have a fairly short growing season locally. June - September are the guaranteed frost-free months. I got started early this year, as May was warm and mild, however it was cloudy and rainy almost all of June, so some sun is much needed. I'm just about to stake my tomatoes this weekend.
Also I was especially ambitious and planted asparagus (from crowns) this spring as well. Anyone else ever do this? I've read different sources indicating I should wait one, two or three years before harvesting the spears. Any insight there?