Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Have you ever woken up to find phrases like "cryogenic baseball player" in your Google search field?

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: What's your area's handball scene like?  (Read 4778 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
What's your area's handball scene like?
« on: July 07, 2010, 08:08:13 am »

Do you have alot of courts?  Did you play as a kid?  Still play?  Have some emotional attachment to the game?

It's pretty big, handball popularity in Queens, probably moreso then Brooklyn, Manhattan and Long Island.  But alot of it stems out of the fact that the handball court was where all the g's hung out when you were a teenager.  Go there to cop trees, blaze trees, sit around, drink 40's at night.  And since the handball court was there, people would play.

It's a big part of people's pasttimes here, really, is what I'm saying, across many generations.

This season I'm gonna do it big, FUCK IT.
Logged
ACHIEVE

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What's your area's handball scene like?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 08:18:59 am »

I do not know what Handball is. So I guess that answers your question in re: Charlotte, North Carolina.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What's your area's handball scene like?
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 08:35:41 am »

I have never seen or heard of someone playing handball, except for Jake Plummer.  That is OKC and Denver, though could conceivably be popular in Denver.

I do know that "burning tree" is my favorite way to describe burning up.  I'm on fire.

Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: What's your area's handball scene like?
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 08:45:45 am »

Logged
ACHIEVE

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What's your area's handball scene like?
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 09:51:37 am »

Oh.

We played racquetball and wall ball.  Seems pretty fun.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: What's your area's handball scene like?
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 10:24:50 am »

Being in an urban school with limited greenery Handball was the choice recess game. I feel old suddenly because I can't remember all the slang associated with it.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What's your area's handball scene like?
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 12:38:13 pm »

This post made an old lady from the Bronx feel very nostalgic. I HATE that. Especially the craving for a jelly doughnut.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What's your area's handball scene like?
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 12:44:23 pm »

Come on people, it's an Olympic sport. With that said, no one in Utah plays it.

We played racquetball and wall ball.  Seems pretty fun.

Wall ball. Hell yeah, that was the best.

Edit:

Jeez guys.  This.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFuMaviVvmU

Whoa, totally different than the Olympic sport. That does seem cool.

Edit 2:

I do know that "burning tree" is my favorite way to describe burning up.  I'm on fire.

I fuck*ng love this song. Mike Watt + Madonna = awesome
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 01:03:20 pm by miles »
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What's your area's handball scene like?
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 01:09:16 pm »

Handball?  Well, it's a free kick for the other team unless it happens in the penalty area...
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: What's your area's handball scene like?
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 01:31:49 pm »

Jeez guys.  This.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFuMaviVvmU

Ok, should have looked at that first, that is way different, and much more competent than the primary school game I knew which was more like 4 way tennis.
This is the best video I could find, there isn't much actual play here but there is lots of guys giving shit to each other, which was possibly the more important aspect.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: What's your area's handball scene like?
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 03:07:28 pm »

i have heard the name, but this is a foreign concept to me.  in middle school and jr high, hackey sack used to be a thing among the wanna-be-hippies, but i never got into it.  you guys can play with your balls all you want, but i wont be joining you.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What's your area's handball scene like?
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 03:10:52 pm »

Looks like fun.

you guys can play with your balls all you want, but i wont be joining you.

Who asked you?  God forbid somebody has fun in a way you don't approve of.

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: What's your area's handball scene like?
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 03:12:33 pm »

Who asked you?  God forbid somebody has fun in a way you don't approve of.

douche-ness was not my intent.

friggin-a........
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: What's your area's handball scene like?
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 03:45:12 pm »

My dad played hell of handball back in the day.  To the point it caused nerve damage in his hands. He went to grad school at Dartmouth and I guess its what you do in New Hampshire during winter, which lasts from October to May.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: What's your area's handball scene like?
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 07:51:52 am »

I played handball hard as hell today.  All of the clothes touching my body got completely soaked through with sweat.  At my current weight, it's the only activity I can go at 100+% and not have any joint pain.  I have a soccer kickaround, medium effort, ankle is destroyed, one day recovery.  I go running, endurance challenge, ankle is destroyed, two days+ recovery.  Handball, I can play until I'm nearly passing out and I'll be ready to do it again the next day.  It's like the miracle sport.

It definitely is a popular game amongst young teen g's because at that age it's the sport you can play without breaking a sweat.  All the kids try to learn a tricky, wrist flick opponent-tricking style so they can hit killers without any effort.  Trying to show off for all the 15 year old, pigeonhead hoes, is all it is.  None of the old vets buy it though.  Once you're willing to sweat, you can return almost any ball.  Also all the kids are afraid to play singles, because it's too much running for them.

If I can lose these ten, fifteen pounds, I can probably step up to the next level of competition.  Play heads that are scary good, killing the ball all time, return aces like crazy, serves that are nasty as fuck.  I like to serve it straight to my opponent for the most part but then they always start pulling out their trick serves and then they force me to show the true face, right corner serves high as shit right in front of the long line, left siders straight down the line.  Left arm better be in shape if you're gonna give me your lame-ass serves.
Logged
ACHIEVE
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up