Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Barely passed Oregon driver's test. Lots of rules about Yielding to the Distraught and slow-moving salmon trucks on one-way switchbacks.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: We have a moonflower  (Read 7453 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
We have a moonflower
« on: August 04, 2003, 01:51:00 am »

It's right in front of our house.  Mrs. West is quite the little gardener, so I have her to thank.

It's a cool plant.  It's grown to almost three feet high and about four feet across.  It's a good sized bush, and it's covered with these great big white flowers about the size of both of you hands.  The blossoms only open up at night (thus the name).  It's cool.

But the best part is the smell.  It has a very sweet scent, plus it's kinda lemony.  I like it, very much.

That is all.  Commence making fun of me.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
We have a moonflower
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2003, 01:58:17 am »

Can't bring myself too. If I had a garden, I'd do some gardening. I'd want to make it a nice place I could chill out with in the afternoon/evening. But, I'm poor so I don't.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Vinz Clortho

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 27
    • View Profile
We have a moonflower
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2003, 06:23:42 am »

What's to make fun of?  That's outstanding!  I have never seen nor smelled a moon flower, though I have always wanted to.  I've been working toward thinning out a grove of trees at the edge of my property and turning part into a garden.  I reclaimed a 20-foot diameter circle of land from a monsterously overgrown forsythia bush (pretty and smelled good, though), trimming it down to only a foot-and-a-half diameter and 1 foot tall. Now I'm waiting for my clematis to sprout and grow up the thin trees; they're a lovely flowering plant and smell wonderful.

I think that's all I can bring to this conversation before it swings to Sights.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
We have a moonflower
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2003, 08:45:32 am »

That moonflower sounds VERY cool! What climate does it grow in? I'll send you some plumeria sticks to start some trees in trade. The house I just moved out of had 8 plumerias, gorgeous and smelled great. My new house is surrounded by Hibiscus bushes five feet high and pretty long. The flowers are huge.

Living in Hawaii means lots of great smells.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
We have a moonflower
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2003, 03:15:59 pm »

I'm pretty sure it grew from seed, and it reseeded itself from last year's plant.  It makes big ol' seed pods, which I would be happy to share with anybody who wants some.

Of course, I would welcome anything in trade.  We're plant people and we have almost 3 acres of ground, so we have plenty of space for cool plants.

As far as climate goes, we are in Kentucky, which is Zone 6.  I don't know what is recommended for this plant, but it does seem to be flourishing here.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
We have a moonflower
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2003, 06:41:09 pm »

I'd trade you for some seeds of the opium poppies we have in our garden. They're a beautiful purple/very light puprle variagation and quite lagre, and spring up every summer now.
They arrived after I found the seeds in little piles having obviously fallen out of a trailer on one of the farm tracks around here, which I found somewhat odd... But ever since they've sprung up every year. (note, in the North of England chances of anything dodgy becoming off them is minute)
But, I don't know how easy it would be to get them through customs!!
Was difficult enough getting a pair of trousers through last time!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
We have a moonflower
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2003, 05:54:00 am »

I fart on your moonflower.
Logged
[expletive deleted]

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
We have a moonflower
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2003, 06:11:46 am »

everyone should grow canabis so they know what a pain in the ass it is.
Logged
[expletive deleted]

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
We have a moonflower
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2003, 10:06:52 am »

Quote from: "doomglobe"
everyone should grow canabis so they know what a pain in the ass it is.


It's a piece of piss... or do you mean in terms of it being a weed?
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
We have a moonflower
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2003, 02:23:18 am »

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5233a2.htm

I didn't realize that Moonflowers could be abused. I guess they are kin to the old standard, Jimson Weed.

Careful of those seeds, August....
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
We have a moonflower
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2003, 04:16:37 am »

I certainly wasn't aware of any abuse potential for the Moonflower.  I've done lots and lots of chemical things in my day but Jimson Weed is one thing I've always stayed well away from.

Horticultural Note:  Hemp hard to grow?  Are you kidding?  Why do you think they call it weed?  Of course, 150 years ago, a couple of guys from the next county over cornered the world hemp market, so maybe it grows pretty well in these parts....
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
We have a moonflower
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2003, 01:15:16 pm »

Moonflowers are basically a kind of morning glory, whose seeds are poisonous.  It is easy to find the seeds to buy in the spring.  They are very wonderful.

Mine got choked out by the adjacent morning glories this year.  Which is too bad.  I used to have a job where sometimes I got up too late and the morning glories had already closed up.  Now I have a job where I leave for work so early the morning glories aren't out yet.  I should just stick with the moonflowers next year, at least I will always be awake at the time that they bloom.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
We have a moonflower
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2003, 01:54:15 pm »

I wasn't aware that moonflowers were related to morning glories, although, now that you mention it, they do bear a certain family resemblance.

All my reading on the subject of morning glory seeds has indicated that they contain minute amounts of chemical precursors of LSD.  Rather than being toxic themselves, seed distributors often coat them with a slightly toxic substance to prevent abuse.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up