Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Artists need to make money to eat and to continue to make art. Artists used to rely on middlemen to collect their money on their behalf, thereby rendering themselves innocent of cash-handling in the public eye. Artists will now be coming straight to you (yes YOU, you who want their music, their films, their books) for their paychecks. Please welcome them. Please help them. Please do not make them feel badly about asking you directly for money.” -Amanda Palmer

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: There is balm in Gilead (17 Dec. 03)  (Read 7752 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
There is balm in Gilead (17 Dec. 03)
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2003, 09:00:06 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
What's Saturday nights got to do with hangover cure?
I hear that's called hair of the cow.


That's called hair of the self-transforming machine elves, my friend.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
There is balm in Gilead (17 Dec. 03)
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2003, 09:08:59 pm »

Quote from: "Gimpson"
Quote from: "FeeReep"
Any drinkers have a tried and true balm straight outta Gilead?


I'm more of the 1 oz. protection = 1 lb. cure school.  When I truly get my slant on, I make sure to drink as much water as possible early in the evening, usually matching 1 for 1 with beers, and I never fall asleep without drinking at least a liter of water.  As a result, I rarely experience a truly heroic hangover.  

I do still occasionally experience the low grade queasiness of a mild hangover, and I find that Tylenol, V8 and Bananas does the trick.


Dear god, how do you not stay up all night peeing?  Or even worse... but let's not go there.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
There is balm in Gilead (17 Dec. 03)
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2003, 09:33:25 pm »

Quote from: "Limmo"
self-transforming machine elves


Heh.  I'm going to have to keep that phrase in mind.  As for the fluidity of cat thighs, I'll try my hardest not to think of it.
Logged
goose means greedy

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
There is balm in Gilead (17 Dec. 03)
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2003, 10:37:35 pm »

I always seem to get sick when I drink wine, but not beer or liquor.  However, beer tends to bring on horrible attacks of deep, rumbling, manly belching that are often accompanied by the shooting stabbing pain of heartburn.  So it's Jack & Cokes for me.  I still have to watch my water intake with the hard stuff, but with wine it doesn't seem to matter how much water I have -- I always puke.  

Must be the tannins or something.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
There is balm in Gilead (17 Dec. 03)
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2003, 11:24:49 pm »

Speaking of drinking an urine, in my party years my drink of choice was the "Blue Lagoon" and nothing was better than a hangover and neon green pee on a Sunday morning.

I wonder if my liver is perminantly blue tinged?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
There is balm in Gilead (17 Dec. 03)
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2003, 11:45:20 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"
in my party years


According to what you said just one thread over, you are my age. There is no good reason for those years to have ended, unless all your friends grew up to be hipster professional assholes. DURRRR I'M NOW MAKING MORE MONEY THAN YOU EVER WILL AND I STILL SHOP AT THE THRIFT STORE (CRUISING FOR POOR CHICKS, EASILY IMPRESSED HIGH SCHOOLERS)

Quote from: "side_show"
nothing was better than a hangover and neon green pee on a Sunday morning


SCENE: BATHROOM (INT) Soft morning light through window. Maybe fluorescent light, but no more than one bulb. Pan slowly past towel rack, sink, bathtub; the sound of urination is audible. Camera comes to rest on Side Show's face; she is looking down into the toilet with visible relief and delight.

SIDE SHOW: Just what I'd been waiting for.

JUMP CUT to TOILET (INT) - the water is green and swirling.

SIDE SHOW (V/O): Moments like these make it all worthwhile.

PAN UP to her FACE, squinting with PAIN and JOY.

SIDE SHOW: Nothing is better than this.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
There is balm in Gilead (17 Dec. 03)
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2003, 12:01:31 am »

St_Zartan, please let me have your retarded baby.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
There is balm in Gilead (17 Dec. 03)
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2003, 12:50:02 am »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Quote from: "side_show"
in my party years


According to what you said just one thread over, you are my age. There is no good reason for those years to have ended, unless all your friends grew up to be hipster professional assholes. DURRRR I'M NOW MAKING MORE MONEY THAN YOU EVER WILL AND I STILL SHOP AT THE THRIFT STORE (CRUISING FOR POOR CHICKS, EASILY IMPRESSED HIGH SCHOOLERS)


Actually, I used to be surrounded by a great deal of supposedly passionate artists who have sold out and become comercial, and they tend to be rather uncomfortable around me now as I am still pursing the messy kind of art that lights my fire and pays no bills.  I can't deny I enjoyed the money I got from professional gigs, but the work was so embarassing that I had to beg people to not come and see me perform.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
There is balm in Gilead (17 Dec. 03)
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2003, 01:42:52 am »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
EASILY IMPRESSED HIGH SCHOOLERS)


You rang?
Logged
goose means greedy

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
There is balm in Gilead (17 Dec. 03)
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2003, 02:03:26 am »

Quote from: "side_show"
St_Zartan, please let me have you're retarded baby.


If this ain't a filter thang, consider yourself busted.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
There is balm in Gilead (17 Dec. 03)
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2003, 02:29:05 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "side_show"
St_Zartan, please let me have you're retarded baby.


If this ain't a filter thang, consider yourself busted.


let me give it a try to find out if it's a filter thing:

AugustWest your idea of correcting people's grammer being funny is actually a sign that you're an anal weirdo.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
There is balm in Gilead (17 Dec. 03)
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2003, 03:12:17 am »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"

There is no good reason for those years to have ended...


Mine pretty much have.
I go to the odd party, but they're by no means as much fun or as drug-filled and debaucherous as they used to be. Just people sitting round drinking and smoking and chatting.
But then my body's not up to the old style party like is used to be. And nor is my mind actually...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
There is balm in Gilead (17 Dec. 03)
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2003, 03:17:03 am »

Honestly - drinking to excess now just leads to nodding off either in public or private - I hate the change, but it's how my body works now.

Further to AugWest - I correct people's pronounciation constantly, which is probably even worse.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
There is balm in Gilead (17 Dec. 03)
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2003, 03:24:11 am »

Quote from: "slink"
Mine pretty much have.
I go to the odd party...


Don't get me wrong. By "party years" I did not literally mean "a span spent more or less going to one party after another"; I suppose in that sense of the phrase, my party years are behind me, as I can now buy my own booze and I no longer need to pretend to tolerate stupid people in order to get my drink on.

Most of the (admittedly few) people I enjoy spending time with don't actually drink. But I do, and I do very gleefully and very often, and I enjoy the hell out of it. Being old enough to know better doesn't make it any less pleasurable. Slink's more of a toker than a drinker and that is totally cool with me. You get right on with your own bad self; I've found, in practice, that ordinarily reasonable people actually overdo it in social situations - positive feedback loop?

EDIT: THEM VOWELS YOU LOOK AWAY FOR A MINUTE AND WHAM THEY'RE ALL SWITCHIN PLACES AND SUCHLIKE
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
There is balm in Gilead (17 Dec. 03)
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2003, 04:44:52 am »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
I've found, in practice, that ordinarily reasonable people actually overdo it in social situations - positive feedback loop?

EDIT: THEM VOWELS YOU LOOK AWAY FOR A MINUTE AND WHAM THEY'RE ALL SWITCHIN PLACES AND SUCHLIKE


The edit remark there sounds so gloriously like Beef. Even to the extent of lack of punctuation!

As for overdoing it in social situations, not really. I'm fairly good about it. If I'm with people who don't smoke, I'll have one, if any. And usually only if they're drinking.
If I'm alone, I overdo it regularly. As with groups of people who don't drink but smoke. But that's a whole different wotsit of thingies.

Unfortunately, what I tend to find since I pretty much stopped drinking is how annoying drunk people truly are!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up