On a slightly different yet related subject, I am under the impression that often in assault or property damage or theft cases in many jurisdictions the Police won't even bother sending a report to the prosecutor and/or the prosecutor won't bother pressing charges in cases where the victim does not express willingness to actively participate in prosecution. Of course it is often more difficult and expensive to prosecute without cooperation from the victim, but that doesn't make a crime any less of an affront to the peace and dignity of the People. I think that Police should devote some resources to lesser crimes, like jaywalking and littering. Focusing on lesser crimes I think goes a long ways towards creating the psychological state of mind in people that anti-social behavior is not acceptable, which in turn will lessen the frequency and extent to which more serious crimes are committed. The USA is kind of strange in that in many jurisdictions we often have almost draconian puritanical social mores backed up by laws, but no actual enforcement.