Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Wife upset because I kept her up all night playing World of Snorecraft.

Poll

Favorite Hotdog Condiment

Mustard
Ketchup
Mayonaise
Hotdog Sauce
Ranch Dressing (WTF?)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Hotdogs! (Formerly Tacos!)  (Read 25389 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2010, 12:46:26 am »

oh man, I really don't like crispy tacos at all. I dont' get it.

I was never a big fan, but working at a mexican place I realized that making hard tacos was what I screwed up the most. For some reason I always put too much stuff, or accidentally crunched the shell, etc.

Also, all of our tacos had beans in them.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2010, 01:02:10 am »

Also, all of our tacos had beans in them.

I guess there's always gonna be an exception that proves the rule.  You say all of the tacos have beans in them?  So if someone orders a beef taco it has beans in it too?  Must have been a cheap ass restaurant trying to stretch the taco meat.  Was this a vegetarian restaurant?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2010, 01:27:14 am »

You worked at Moe's, right? They don't strike me as particularly "authentic." They strike me as, "One step up from Taco Bell."

But then, I don't really like Mexican/Tex-Mex anyway, so what do I know?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2010, 01:30:07 am »

A lot of people are calling bullshit on that tostada.


Ok, got that out of the way.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2010, 01:47:15 am »

You worked at Moe's, right? They don't strike me as particularly "authentic." They strike me as, "One step up from Taco Bell."

Even taco bell doesn't put beans in their tacos.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2010, 01:50:23 am »

oh, yeah, Moe's totally sucks. Everything about that business bugged me.

Mostly that you could have any meat for the same price, but adding LETTUCE made the burrito cost more. this made people SO MAD. Why would you ever price things in this way?? People are used to getting that kind of stuff for free.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2010, 01:56:56 am »

Can I just say that I am amused that a conversation about tacos veered toward talking about ladies private parts, then right back on topic?  You people kill me!

Also, I am fairly certain the meat-like filling in Taco Bell tacos has plenty of soy based meat-like stuff added.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2010, 02:03:04 am »

Onions and peppers and cheese! Why isn't anyone listening! Santa Barbara! You need to go there right now and you will see this whole discussion is nonsense! Nonsense, I tell you!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2010, 02:06:23 am »

Onions and peppers and cheese! Why isn't anyone listening! Santa Barbara! You need to go there right now and you will see this whole discussion is nonsense! Nonsense, I tell you!

There, there wombat.  I believe you.  I will not go to Santa Barbara to find out, but it sounds delicious.  There, there.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 02:43:57 am by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2010, 02:21:23 am »

I ain't never purchased a thing called a taco that contained beans.

I've eaten in a lot of fake white-people Mexican restaurants, a lot of authentic Mexican restaurants and more than a few that blur the line and...

I have never bought something called a taco that has beans in it.

I'm not saying that I think beans in a taco-like configuration would be bad, necessarily, but it would not fit the nomenclature of "taco" as I understand it.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2010, 02:26:11 am »

I make bastard tacos at home regularly, they come in a packet and I add ground beef, cheese, shredded lettuce and tomatoes. There are crispy ones and soft ones, I prefer the soft ones.

All this talking about gamey meat though has made me think I should try a Roo taco, I think I'd need to cut it with something as above though because it's a pretty strong flavour, or load it down with cheese.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2010, 02:44:03 am »

I am pretty sure I remember the place in Santa Barbara offering beans on tacos as well, and the New York Times backs me up:

Quote
Locals argue endlessly about the city’s best taco joint. Julia Child threw her weight behind La Super Rica (622 North Milpas Street; 805-963-4940), ensuring perpetual lines for its homemade tortillas filled with everything from pork and cheese ($3.40) to spicy ground beans ($2.75).

I mean, conceptually, how could there not be tacos with beans? Mexicans eat tortillas, they eat beans, and poor people can't afford meat most of the time, the idea of putting beans in tacos is an inevitable consequence.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2010, 02:45:58 am »

Doc, do not try to fight the gameyness.  That was my mistake.  There is no fighting gamey meat.  Either celebrate it or do not go there.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2010, 02:52:15 am »

I like gamey meat, Roo Roast is freaking delicious. I'm just not sure if gamey tacos are a good idea.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2010, 03:57:30 am »

I like Moe's!  Go on Monday and you get a burrito chips and drink for $5!  They have fresh cilantro and fresh jalepenos!  You can get tofu!  They have the little sauce bar with the green sauce!

Like I should give a crap if it's authentic.  It's GOOD. 
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Up