Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Barely passed Oregon driver's test. Lots of rules about Yielding to the Distraught and slow-moving salmon trucks on one-way switchbacks.

Poll

Favorite Hotdog Condiment

Mustard
Ketchup
Mayonaise
Hotdog Sauce
Ranch Dressing (WTF?)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Hotdogs! (Formerly Tacos!)  (Read 25413 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2010, 04:52:15 am »

I ain't knowing for a Moes, one way or the other, but inauthentic stuff is sometimes awesome.

Baja Fresh isn't authentic at all but a lot of Mexican people in Angeles loved it.

They'd say "Oh, it isn't Mexican at all but it is still great."
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2010, 04:59:51 am »

all's i'm sayin' is i get my tacos outside texas and on occasion there exist such as beans among the fillers
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2010, 03:10:51 pm »

Baja Fresh beats the ##### off of Moe's.  I will fuck*ng FIGHT people over this if necessary.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2010, 03:15:05 pm »

Baja Fresh beats the ##### off of Moe's.  I will fuck*ng FIGHT people over this if necessary.

Baja Fresh is the berries. I like it way better than Chipotle
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2010, 03:58:02 pm »

Baja Fresh used to have a taco with peppers, onions, and cheese, and if you asked them to leave the meat off, you got something that made you believe that someone who worked somewhere in that company actually might have eaten some Mexican food once, at least in Southern California.  And for a while they had an enchilada with an actual red chili sauce. But they have demonstrated an uncanny accuracy in selecting exactly these almost real foods to take off the menu permanently or to change to the point that they're unrecognizable, like they did with the giraffe taco.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2010, 04:21:29 pm »

Baja Fresh beats the ##### off of Moe's.  I will fuck*ng FIGHT people over this if necessary.

It's 'cos they don't put beans on their tacos amirite...
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2010, 08:50:26 pm »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2010, 09:04:20 pm »

He never disappoints us by containing beans, that's for sure.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2010, 11:10:14 pm »

It's odd, I can't remember the last time I've had a taco.  I just always end up getting burritos or enchiladas.  My personal favorite is a local place that puts enchilada sauce right in the California burrito.  This is in no way authentic.  This is in every way awesome.

I take it back, I've had "street tacos" around here.  They're pretty awesome.  They're like a mini sampler platter, just for you.

I went to a Moe's during a visit home to Alabama and ordered a carne asada burrito.  The man across the counter looked at me and said, "You mean steak?"  I was very confused, especially since the man had been speaking Spanish to the other people he worked with.

Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2010, 11:40:16 pm »

Pedro tells me that "carne asada" is a generic term for "grilled meat," depending, of course, on dialect.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2010, 01:52:46 am »

'Cause if you don't like beans, well then whatever, I will put them inside or along side of that folded tortilla delicious delivering device I call a taco. And you may not.

But if it's some strict constructionist thing about what is and what is not a taco?

Riiiiiight

This whole debate reminds me of differing attitudes on pizza in New York (I know, I'm not a New Yorker, but I read about being one on the internet). First, Anthony Mangieri. He shut down his operation in NYC last year and is apparently relocating to San Francisco, but I ate at his place four years ago. Really nice, interesting guy, and the pizza was hell of tasty. But he also believes there is only one way to make pizza, and that no one else in the US or even Italy these days makes real pizza.

Quote
A wiry human doodle pad of Christian and punk tattoos, Mangieri is the unofficial front man for one of the more notable culinary phenomena to grip the city in years: the Naples-style pizza revolution. From Bed-Stuy to the Upper West Side, New York’s quintessential food is being redefined by a cadre of wild-eyed converts to a notion seductive in its romantic certitude: that the best pizza—the one true pizza—comes from Naples and Naples only, and the way to do it right is to obsessively re-create the ingredients, techniques, and all but the street smells of Naples. Everything else is an insult to flour, oil, tomatoes, cheese, and you.

[snip]

Mangieri, for his part, isn’t bothered by the charges that his is an inaccurate representation of the motherland. He’s over Naples, he says. “The best pizza I had there is as good as my pizza on a mediocre day. On a really good day, the pizza I make here blows away anything made in Naples.” He takes a pause. “And it breaks my heart.”

And can be kind of a cock about it.

Quote
Mangieri’s take on his competition is similarly pointed, to say the least: Luzzo’s pizza is “garbage,” Kesté’s “tastes like shit.” “There’s no love,” he says of the latter.

And then there's this kid. In answer to the question: "What one thing should NEVER go on a pizza?"

Quote
As far as I am concerned there are no rules. Some Italian guy in the 16th century decided to get crazy and put tomatoes, something no one had ever seen before in Europe, on a pizza, I applaud people who innovate. Again, don't take pizza too seriously. I vaguely remember topping a pizza during Easter with Peeps and putting it in a wood-fired oven, I don't think that ever needs to happen again.

Also, I have a friend who is a sushi chef, trained in Japan, and he can be kind of annoying about what real sushi is.

The gastronomic descriptivism/prescriptivism debate.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2010, 01:59:07 am »

There is no food that can start an internet flame war faster than pizza. It's actually pretty funny, and I say that as an actual New Yorker and therefore genetically as opinionated about pizza as it is possible to be.

I think it's important to know what's authentic, but it's also important not to confuse "authentic" with "the only thing that tastes good."
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2010, 02:03:19 am »

Authenticity is a pretty nebulous concept to pin down.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2010, 02:13:15 am »

Sure, but just because a concept isn't black and white doesn't mean it's not worth some attention.

Of course, there are some things that are black and white, like if you put pineapple on a pizza, you should be arrested.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2010, 02:29:15 am »

What is the problem with beans, people?

Is it because beans are not authentic or some lame ass thing like that or that you do not like them?

'Cause if you don't like beans, well then whatever, I will put them inside or along side of that folded tortilla delicious delivering device I call a taco. And you may not.

But if it's some strict constructionist thing about what is and what is not a taco?

Riiiiiight

This.

Authenticity is about replicating something or relating it to a particular place or style.  It implies nothing about tastiness.  I suppose it can be an acceptable thing to pursue, but it's nothing to be snotty about. 
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Up