Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.

Poll

Favorite Hotdog Condiment

Mustard
Ketchup
Mayonaise
Hotdog Sauce
Ranch Dressing (WTF?)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Hotdogs! (Formerly Tacos!)  (Read 25482 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2010, 02:43:21 am »

I'm not saying anything about theory. I just... have never bought or have been given a thing with beans in it and it was called a taco.

As I have experienced the idea of "taco", beans have not been in it.

If I got a ride in a car that also could fly, I would enjoy the hell out of it, but if the dude only called it "his car" I think it would not communicate something very important about the device. In the general shared parlance, a car is a thing that moves on the ground with four wheels. If it also flies, I think we need a modifier at least, if not a new word. If you say "lets go for a ride in my new car" and suddenly we're flying? I would be very surprised. Because you said we were just gonna go in a car.

I'm not talking about constructivism, I'm talking about ease of communication.

If you gave me the greatest taco in the world and that taco included beans, I would love the hell out of it.

I would also say "huh. That was awesome but I never had a taco with beans in it. When you said taco, I was expecting the generally agreed to idea of a taco. Perhaps a little extra language would make this clearer. Tabenco. Or possibly just tell me this is a taco with beans."
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2010, 02:54:11 am »

I have had a refried bean taco, and it was pretty good.  But normally I don't think beans when I think taco.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2010, 06:29:35 am »

I never mentioned taste in my argument.  I'm sure that a bean "taco" is delicious, it's just not a taco.

I will reiterate my position.  When speaking of a crispy deep fried tortilla filled with ingredients, as we were at the beginning of this long pointless discussion, if said crispy fried tortilla is filled with beans it's called a tostada.  If that tortilla is filled with meat it's a taco.  If your taco is filled with beans you are not eating a taco you are eating another well established dish known as a tostada.

When speaking of the more traditional soft tortilla taco, I've never had nor seen one filled with beans, but hey, if you all have, that is awesome, I will concede that to you.  However, to confuse this issue further, if your soft bean filled taco is made with a flour tortilla, again you are not eating a taco, you are eating a burrito.

I hope this helps you better understand the food you are eating.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2010, 01:05:28 pm »

Taco?  Tostada?  You just spell it any old way you want dear and the good lord God will provide.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2010, 02:14:55 pm »

Dammit, people, it's 10:15 in the fuck*ng morning and I am hungry for tacos.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2010, 03:06:01 pm »

at a restaurant they applied to, they asked me what my favorite restaurant is. For some reason I thought a long time, and then named a Thai place.
Later, I told my friends that I thought it was funny that they asked that question, and they said "oh, so you said that taco place that you talk about all the fuck*ng time, right?"
It is weird how I don't know what my own favorite place is.

pineapple on pizza is really good. pineapple in tacos is really good. is this a trend? I have never thought of myself as specifically a dude who likes pineapple.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2010, 03:18:05 pm »

another benefit of pineapple is that it makes your spunk tastier, or so the ladies have told me
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2010, 03:27:43 pm »

but a taco with a pineapple on it is not a taco it is a chalupa

and a chalupa without lettuce is an enchirito


seriously this whole beans/not beans thing is pretty ridiculous, so i've put a very scientific poll on my facebook page and will let you know the results soon
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2010, 03:40:13 pm »

How about you spin the fiesta wheel at Taco Max and it'll tell you what to call your tortilla/bean/cheese concoction.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2010, 03:42:15 pm »

this is reminding me of that "tapdancing about architecture" quote that I hate.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2010, 04:21:19 pm »

Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2010, 04:24:51 pm »

man, I thought I did not think he was funny, but "why don't you say a spanish word and I'll bring you something" made me laugh out loud.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2010, 05:04:08 pm »

I love Jim Gaffigan.  He's hilarious.  Love his bit about Bacon.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2010, 09:51:50 pm »

Hoooooooooooooooooooot Pockets.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2010, 02:28:12 am »

Pineapple is just basically a good thing. I mean, a dude even lives in a pineapple under the sea, y'know?

That is Spongebob's house
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Up