Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Barely passed Oregon driver's test. Lots of rules about Yielding to the Distraught and slow-moving salmon trucks on one-way switchbacks.

Poll

Favorite Hotdog Condiment

Mustard
Ketchup
Mayonaise
Hotdog Sauce
Ranch Dressing (WTF?)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Hotdogs! (Formerly Tacos!)  (Read 25442 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2010, 03:18:36 am »

I love Jim Gaffigan.  He's hilarious.  Love his bit about Bacon.

I watched several clips, I hadn't really seen him before. The little self-heckling bit he does is odd, but effective.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2010, 04:37:04 am »

Of course, there are some things that are black and white, like if you put pineapple on a pizza, you should be arrested.

"its as if you could read what was inside of me!"

I watched several clips, I hadn't really seen him before. The little self-heckling bit he does is odd, but effective.

Jim Gaffigan is a guest on a radio show and attracts the attention of an assertive Christian woman who tries to impose her beliefs on him. Hilarity half-decent laughs ensues.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2010, 12:19:49 pm »

That reminds me of David Cross' bit about morning zoo radio shows
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK9bbLQZ3Bo

Ain't that the truth.  Drive time radio is the worst.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2010, 02:59:50 pm »

Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2010, 12:59:49 am »

oh man, this radio dude from the 90s introduced Pavement. He was a real-life troll.
We really couldn't figure out what he was trying to do. He just said a list of the things guaranteed to piss off the crowd. It was bizarre.

"you've gotta admit, Pitchfork and Lollapalooza are like the minor leagues, we're meant to help bands get better so they can move on to better things"
"wouldn't you all rather be at Lollapalooza? It's way better. Better venue, bigger bands. This festival is pretty lame, like, these bands aren't that famous or anything"
"downloading music is great, because soon all bands will have endorsement deals with products"
"the pavement you're seeing today is a shadow of what they used to be, when I was the first radio DJ to play them."
etc.

we think maybe he was trying to get some sort of "GET OFF THE STAGE, WE WANT PAVEMENT" chant going, but instead everyone just kind of booed and ignored him.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2010, 01:20:23 am »

See, a troll is fine when he's doing something in real life and you can see him and he's just playing the manager of a bad guy wrestler or whatever.

It's when cowardly little nothings snipe in and out playing some idiot game and they're the only one playing it, that's when it is lame as shit.

This DJ sounds like he was just playing the standard Tony Clifton except a hipster Tony Clifton. Which is kind of a brilliant rejuxtaposition of the Clifton.

When we're all equal partners in a shared game with no harm and no foul, that shit's actually pretty fun.

Heckling at wrestling matches and baseball games where there are lines you don't cross and you're looking each other in the eyes as dudes and ladies, that shit is fun as hell.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #82 on: July 20, 2010, 01:24:33 am »

it was just really unclear what the point of this was.

I am really bad at ignoring trolls.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #83 on: July 20, 2010, 01:38:37 am »

The point of it probably was that these hipper-than-thou indie showcases need to take themselves less seriously and, like, some old school dude and one of the bigger older bands there (Pavement was one of the few bands on that list I've heard of) probably thought that a little old school self-mockery would deflate some of the stifling pretense.

Sounds like it didn't work, I guess.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #84 on: July 20, 2010, 03:07:28 am »

it was actually the least pretentious thing ever. i was amazed that 80% of the attendees were like "i am some college-aged dude in a t-shirt and jeans who likes bands." people were having fun and drinking beer and hanging out listening to bands they like.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #85 on: July 20, 2010, 10:12:43 am »

Wait a minute.  I didn't realize it for a second, but I think yous've clicked on the wrong thread... ?
Logged
ACHIEVE

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #86 on: July 20, 2010, 03:00:08 pm »

Wait a minute.  I didn't realize it for a second, but I think yous've clicked on the wrong thread... ?

No, here's a breakdown of the wander.

Tacos > Venison Tacos > Gamey Venison > Tacos vs Tostatas > Bean Tacos > Moe's Restaurant > Bean Tacos are not Tacos > Pineapple Pizza > Jim Gaffigan > Jim Gaffigan on Morning Radio > David Cross lampooning Morning Radio DJs > Morning Radio DJ MCs Pitchfork Festival > Music
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #87 on: July 20, 2010, 03:09:27 pm »

Paul is working on a master's thesis in the field of thread wandering analysis.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #88 on: July 20, 2010, 03:14:00 pm »

I'm laughing out loud. That was a great summary, Paul, and the rest of you are insane.

Back on topic, my brother-in law (this one) is bringing his family to supper this weekend, and I'm going to make the thing I call "fajitas," which is a big stack of hot soft flour tortillas and enough ground beef, sour cream, shredded cheese, lettuce, sauteed onion, and picante sauce to bury a large mammal. Authentic? Not by a long shot. But great for casual dinner guests, especially when kids are involved. Family style, roll your own, I'll be flipping quesedillas on request.

Yum.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #89 on: July 20, 2010, 03:20:16 pm »

Ground beef?  That makes 'em tacos, not fajitas.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14   Go Up