Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "One of Your Shoes is By the Dog Food: A Tale of Things Not Worth Mentioning During Married Life," is out in September on Harper-Doubleday.

Poll

Favorite Hotdog Condiment

Mustard
Ketchup
Mayonaise
Hotdog Sauce
Ranch Dressing (WTF?)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Hotdogs! (Formerly Tacos!)  (Read 25516 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #90 on: July 20, 2010, 03:35:45 pm »

Ground beef?  That makes 'em tacos, not fajitas.

Yeah, pretty much.  Fajitas are tacos too, but ground beef is not fajitas.  Fajita is a cut of meat.  I suppose ground beef can be made from fajitas (or skirt steak as it was once called), but I've never seen that.  Oh what the hell, you can get chicken fajitas and even shrimp fajitas so why not ground beef.  Obviously the words don't have much meaning anymore.  Shrimp skirt steak, mmm tasty.

It's almost lunchtime.  I've got some leftover sausage, potato salad and a hotdog bun.  I think I'm gonna make me a sausage fajita.

Here's a question that have, why do Americans prefer flour tortillas?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #91 on: July 20, 2010, 03:42:09 pm »

Here's a question that have, why do Americans prefer flour tortillas?

Because they have lard in them? I generally don't like corn tortillas but I also hate cornbread and corndogs.
Logged

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #92 on: July 20, 2010, 04:02:09 pm »

Here's a question that have, why do Americans prefer flour tortillas?

The corn tortillas I've bought always seem to fall apart when I try and wrap a decent burrito with them. Flour doesn't seem to do that.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #93 on: July 20, 2010, 05:27:56 pm »

Two reasons:

1. Because 99.9% of the corn tortillas that the average American can buy are crap;

2. Because Americans prefer food that doesn't taste like much of anything. Flour tortillas just hold fillings together without adding any flavor. Same way that tasteless white bread is preferred - its only purpose is to keep people from getting sandwich fillings on the hands.

Yes, I do have a bee in my bonnet about this. Want to make something of it?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #94 on: July 20, 2010, 05:33:13 pm »

there is a video of my grandparents and parents celebrating right before I was born (or right after? this seems less likely because I can't imagine them making my mom cook for a bunch of people immediately after giving birth...) and the main thing that happens in the video is my grandfather repeatedly teling the camera that he ate FIVE FAJITAS. FIVE WHOLE FAJITAS. Then he pauses, and then shows "5" on his fingers.

it isn't as funny if you can't hear my grandfather's really particular accent. I have never heard anyone else sound like this, i guess my grandmother's is kind of similar?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #95 on: July 20, 2010, 05:35:10 pm »

1. Because 99.9% of the corn tortillas that the average American can buy are crap;

That's certainly not true where I live. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #96 on: July 20, 2010, 06:14:23 pm »

Ground beef?  That makes 'em tacos, not fajitas.

the thing I call "fajitas,"

I know they're not, exactly, fajitas. But they're not quite tacos, either. Maybe we should split the difference and call them tajitas?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #97 on: July 20, 2010, 06:27:16 pm »

Sudden eureka moment while reading this thread:  I must create my own meatloaf taco recipe!  Holy hell.  Now that I've imagine it, it must be done!!!  (I'm sure it's been done before, but I don't want to google it.  This will be a creative process, and I do not want/need input.)  Oh man.  Yes.  It will be done, and it will be tasty as hell!  I'll update on this once I've done it.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #98 on: July 20, 2010, 06:30:30 pm »

I know they're not, exactly, fajitas. But they're not quite tacos, either.

Quote
flour tortillas and enough ground beef, sour cream, shredded cheese, lettuce, sauteed onion, and picante sauce

Nope.  Those are tacos.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #99 on: July 20, 2010, 06:32:17 pm »

Sounds like tacos to me.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #100 on: July 20, 2010, 06:32:59 pm »

Man, you guys are such taco prescriptivists.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #101 on: July 20, 2010, 06:39:02 pm »

Nope.  Those are tacos.

On a flour tortilla? I guess they'd be soft tacos, then. And I thought tacos had fresh diced tomatoes (never picante sauce)? And no onions? I mean, what is the difference between a chicken soft taco and a chicken fajita, then?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #102 on: July 20, 2010, 06:40:39 pm »

That's certainly not true where I live. 

Go on, rub it in. Didn't you live in Utah for a while? Surely you learned there what the rest of us have to endure.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #103 on: July 20, 2010, 06:58:01 pm »

what is the difference between a chicken soft taco and a chicken fajita, then?

Oh what the hell, you can get chicken fajitas and even shrimp fajitas so why not ground beef.  Obviously the words don't have much meaning anymore.

There's no such thing as a chicken fajita.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #104 on: July 20, 2010, 07:02:53 pm »

There's no bodypart on a chicken called the "nugget" either, but that didn't stop us, did it?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14   Go Up