Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that Wombat has figured out how to edit the News Box!

Poll

Favorite Hotdog Condiment

Mustard
Ketchup
Mayonaise
Hotdog Sauce
Ranch Dressing (WTF?)

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Hotdogs! (Formerly Tacos!)  (Read 25445 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #105 on: July 20, 2010, 07:13:34 pm »

Next you're going to tell me Bison don't have vestigial wings.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #106 on: July 20, 2010, 07:14:42 pm »

There's no such thing as a chicken fajita.

Wikipedia indicates that the "fajita" is named for the cut of meat from which the dish is made -- skirt steak, as Paul correctly noted. But a "taco" (Wikipedia says) is always made with a corn tortilla (hard or soft), while a "burrito" is made with a wheat/flour tortilla:

Quote from: [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burrito]Wikipedia[/url]
A burrito (pronounced /bəˈriːtoʊ/ in US English, [buˈrito] in Spanish), or taco de harina, is a type of Mexican food. It consists of a flour tortilla wrapped or folded around a filling. The flour tortilla is usually lightly grilled or steamed, to soften it and make it more pliable. In Mexico, refried beans, Mexican rice, or meat are usually the only fillings and the tortilla is smaller in size. In the United States, however, fillings generally include a combination of ingredients such as Mexican rice, beans, lettuce, salsa, meat, avocado, cheese, and sour cream, and the size varies, with some burritos considerably larger than their Mexican counterparts.

So I guess what I'm making is American-style, roll-your-own burritos?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #107 on: July 20, 2010, 07:25:16 pm »

ok people, seriously:

Tacos are small. You eat a couple of them. they are folded over.
Burritos are big. They normally need to have rice and beans, but I have had ones that didn't from places run by actual Mexicans, so maybe it varies. the tortilla is wrapped all around the food to make a little guy with sealed ends.
Fajitas have big chunks of grilled steak. They use medium-sized tortillas.
Quesadillas are more melted and cheese-based. They are folded over.


the one skill I have which consistently impresses people is my ability to roll burritos. Maybe I should be looking into more burrito-related fields.

The real trouble comes when you talk about spanish words that refer to different foods in different places.

see: sopaipillas.

also, there is this chilean food that my mom says means "rags" or "leftover pieces" or something, but apparently in other spanish-speaking countries it means something like "panties" or "thong," i forget what specific word.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 07:32:54 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #108 on: July 20, 2010, 07:30:54 pm »

So I guess what I'm making is American-style, roll-your-own burritos?

No, I'd still call it a taco.  You would need refried beans to make it a burrito.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #109 on: July 20, 2010, 07:37:15 pm »

Can we at least all agree that tacos are good?  Is that a point of consensus?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #110 on: July 20, 2010, 07:38:31 pm »

And here I was looking at that thinking "but where's the beans?"

Now cut that out!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #111 on: July 20, 2010, 07:39:40 pm »

What about red or black beans and rice?

Round these parts we call that a California Burrito.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #112 on: July 20, 2010, 07:41:49 pm »

Can we at least all agree that tacos are good?  Is that a point of consensus?

I know I sure love 'em.

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #113 on: July 20, 2010, 07:43:54 pm »

Today for lunch I had chicken, beans, lettuce, cheese and hot sauce rolled up in a soft taco. I called that sucker "a chicken wrap"
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #114 on: July 20, 2010, 07:46:35 pm »

Quote
California Burrito.

I was literally just thinking about this. I was making a hot dog and thinking about how my girlfriend's dad would make fun of me because it isn't "Chicago Style," and then I thought about all the places that don't have their own styles of hot dog. Then I thought, you can put pretty much anything on anything and call it "California Style."

We got a hot dog cart for one of our parties at the radio station, and the guy was an atlas of hot dog knowledge. He'd ask where someone was from, and then say "oh, central Ohio, so you want sauerkraut and brown mustard, with a pickle on the side? (made up example)" He knew every regional variety.

when the GF's dad makes fun of me for something stupid, I always want to make a joke about fuck*ng his daughter. I have never had such a strong urge to be rude to someone.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #115 on: July 20, 2010, 07:52:14 pm »

You are allowed to put anything on a hotdog as long as it is not ketchup.

Right now I am going to put homemade refried beans, rice, salsa, cheese and sour cream in a flour tortilla and call it delicious.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #116 on: July 20, 2010, 07:54:42 pm »

BUT ALL I WANT IS KETCHUP.

I eat my hot dogs America style: ketchup and yellow mustard.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #117 on: July 20, 2010, 08:02:18 pm »

Hot dogs have ketchup when hot dog sauce is not available. Some people put both ketchup and hot dog sauce but these people are clearly deranged.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #118 on: July 20, 2010, 08:14:27 pm »

I was literally just thinking about this. I was making a hot dog and thinking about how my girlfriend's dad would make fun of me because it isn't "Chicago Style," and then I thought about all the places that don't have their own styles of hot dog. Then I thought, you can put pretty much anything on anything and call it "California Style."

Usually California Style is synonymous with making a dish more healthy; as in the case Ash described by substituting black beans for refried pinto beans.

There are a lot of things done 'California style' that California probably knows nothing about.  Hey Ash, did you know that putting avocado on a hamburger makes it California style?

California style burritos are what you get at Chipotle.

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Tacos!
« Reply #119 on: July 20, 2010, 08:15:41 pm »

WTF is hot dog sauce?

Is it made from a roux and pureed hot dogs?  Cause if it isn't, I don't want to know.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14   Go Up