Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wombat changed her avatar back and no one noticed. Her feelings are hurt.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: It's time  (Read 9196 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: It's time
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2010, 02:27:45 am »

See I think some of the disconnect arises from the bit where you guys are adults that can afford houses. My bedroom fits my bed and a small wardrobe that actually makes it so I can't open and close the door fully. The bookcase is by the front door in the living room/entrance because that is where it fits damnit. I'm not trying to make a statement, I'm trying to keep my books in my house in relative proximity to the chair where I like to read them.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: It's time
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2010, 02:45:15 am »

However, I would basically never display my books prominently in my living space. I do not want to seem like the kind of person who puts books out on display to either push their ideas on everyone in that room and/or I do not ever want to seem like the kind of dude who is putting books out on display to tell everyone that I am smart or something.

Ha, I find that a really good way to solve this problem is never invite anyone over. Really, I need the space for books in the living room more than I need to socialize with people in my house as opposed to somewhere else.

Won't work for everyone, I understand.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: It's time
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2010, 02:49:49 am »

I used to frame covers to send to authors when I worked at a publisher. Every author got one.

That is really weird. What is the point of a framed book cover? I mean, you've got copies of books and they have the cover on them, right?

Anyway, I assume that my books are going to have covers that I hate. I had a traumatic experience when my dissertation was published so I look forward only with dread to seeing what the publishers I am currently working with are going to come up with. Basically I expect it is going to make me cry.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: It's time
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2010, 02:54:20 am »

People LOVE having framed proof of their work in the creative fields around their house and I will never in a million years understand it.

Seems to nail both extreme unhealthy ends of the confidence scale at the same time.

I dunno, maybe I'm wrong.

I never understand why a person would have a picture of their self in their house, either.

I don't like looking myself in the mirror to shave, why would I want a static representation as such?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: It's time
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2010, 03:08:14 am »

I never understand why a person would have a picture of their self in their house, either.

I dated a girl who gave me a framed photograph of herself as a gift. Which may not be all that strange, but it wasn't like she went out and had it taken and framed it. She already had it at her place. And it was kind of big, too. Like, I want to say maybe 8 and 1/2 by 11. Bizarre. Photo of the family, or of oneself and some friends, sure. But just a portrait of you? I agree, kind of weird.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: It's time
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2010, 03:14:24 am »

I mean, if you live in a family with each other and so there's pictures of each other in reciprocity of affection, that's fine.

But... yourself yourself, man. I do not get it.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: It's time
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2010, 04:53:07 am »

I dated a girl who gave me a framed photograph of herself as a gift. Which may not be all that strange, but it wasn't like she went out and had it taken and framed it. She already had it at her place. And it was kind of big, too. Like, I want to say maybe 8 and 1/2 by 11. Bizarre. Photo of the family, or of oneself and some friends, sure. But just a portrait of you? I agree, kind of weird.
For the past 2 weddings I've been to, my gift to the couple has been a framed painting of me. I plan to continue this tradition.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: It's time
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2010, 05:05:59 am »

That's not bad. Were you holding a sword or something?

I've got a wedding coming up in a couple of weeks, I wonder how long it would take to get a portrait together.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: It's time
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2010, 05:11:07 am »

That is, by far, the most Objectivist gift you could possibly ever give, A-CAP.

Except that Ayn Rand would never give a gift to anyone, of course.

The COMMUNISTS who didn't ALLOW HER FAMILY TO BE RICH FOREVER were known to give gifts to each other, you see, so gifts must be evil.

But were they allowed to gifts, oh man. Paintings of themselves. Definitely.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: It's time
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2010, 01:12:32 pm »

Once, for the Drunken Santa gift exchange, my brother-in-law included a wrapped, framed 5x7 of himself. In a speedo. Autographed.

Also, I worked with a lady who kept framed photos of herself on her desk. At work. Next to a mirror. She had one photo of her husband with their kids, and two or three pictures of just herself. I found this odd and confusing.

I also worked with a guy who kept a photo of himself in his military uniform, circa 1965, on his desk. He had it angled in such a way that visitors to his office would be sure to see it, I think it was his way of establishing himself as a Person of Authority, even though he was a dude receptionist.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

fanta

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -32
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 128
    • View Profile
Re: It's time
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2010, 06:45:47 pm »

fuck analog!  The Louvre should scan all their paintings, and burn the originals in a furnace to generate electricity for walls and walls of digital picture frames.  High resolution picture frames, of course!

This article makes a compelling case against e-books... that old nagging problem that the people who make user interfaces are, in fact, more often than not... idiots.

"I found that even in a very small font that if the original line is beyond a certain length, they will take the extra word and have it flush left on the screen, so that instead of a three-line stanza you actually have a four-line stanza. And that screws everything up,"

The user interface of a book has a lot to offer over that of any computer program.  There are downsides to books of course... you can't search... but if you have both the physical book and an e-book, then this problem is fixed.

Maybe eventually they'll come out with e-paper.  Imagine... the advantages of a book with thin flexible pages, combined with the advantages of electronics.

Maybe instead of electronic displays, they should develop paper that can simply be re-printed an infinite number of times, kind of like a CD.  Then you could have a book that you simply feed into a special printer... wait an hour, and out pops whatever book you want.  Then you could have the world's library stored in a crystal cube, yet still read it on a physical 'book.'

Of course, if you really want to get to the nub of the matter, this question goes far beyond books to the problem of people having too many fuck*ng babies.  The obvious thing to do would be to continue to print paper books, rather than destroy the earth and ourselves in our insatiable quest for oil:

[...] "we all had cars and we burned oil and made computers out of plastic which were made from oil and we just needed so much oil that we eventually couldn’t get enough of it for cheap enough so we started drilling holes into the center of the earth underneath the ocean and one of them erupted that we couldn’t recap and the ocean was destroyed.  And since marine plants in the ocean create between 70-80 percent of the earth’s oxygen, we all died.  "

But that's the rub ... the Earth is becoming over-populated, so there's no way we can kill enough trees to make books for everyone because there just aren't any more trees to kill, so OBVIOUSLY the solution is to step it up a notch and instead kill the entire planet and the entire ecosystem with petrolatium-based e-books!  Problem solved!

 
As far as pictures of the self are concerned, hey, you should see Africans... specifically, African men.  I'm thinking of Nigerians in particular, but this phenomenon is I'm sure by no means restricted to just Nigerians.  Go on Facebook, find a Nigerian, and start clicking from one Nigerian Facebook account to another... You will certainly notice that the FB profiles of men feature an inordinate number of pictures of the self. 

Here's one random one I've clicked on now...  This dude has around 40 pictures of himself, and one that is very telling - a screen capture from some gangster movie titled "Respect The Don."  Self-effacing humor or seriousness?  It's hard to say... 

Again, back to oil.  You can imagine what might happen to many cultures including our own... if you take and dump HUGE quantities of wealth into that culture, and no one really has to do anything of value to generate that wealth, other than sign a lease with some oil company.  A culture that is already rooted in traditions of pride and prejudice, a culture of extended family where social standing and relationships are historically already incredibly important, as we find in many traditional non-western cultures, and what will that culture do, of course, than turn inwards, and lean on these ways of operating even more, so as to ensure, as much as possible, a distribution as wide as possible of all that oil wealth. 

No longer does perception of one's social standing mean the difference between getting the healthy goat or the haggardly goat, now it means the difference between getting a cut of a few billion dollars of oil wealth and an iphone, or starving in the streets and not having electricity to light a lamp to be able to read your old analog book.

Fuck the gift-wrapped present of a framed picture of one's self, the real gift to give is a framed digital picture frame with several GB worth of pictures of yourself, locked so that it can't be erased, ever!
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: It's time
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2010, 07:02:18 pm »

Once, for the Drunken Santa gift exchange, my brother-in-law included a wrapped, framed 5x7 of himself. In a speedo. Autographed.

Also, I worked with a lady who kept framed photos of herself on her desk. At work. Next to a mirror. She had one photo of her husband with their kids, and two or three pictures of just herself. I found this odd and confusing.

I also worked with a guy who kept a photo of himself in his military uniform, circa 1965, on his desk. He had it angled in such a way that visitors to his office would be sure to see it, I think it was his way of establishing himself as a Person of Authority, even though he was a dude receptionist.

One time, when I was in my 20's, my mom decided it was time to take down this huge photo of me at 10 years old.  There I was with my poofy permed bangs, my ugly 80's turquoise and hot pink dress.  It was poster-sized, and for whatever reason, she made me take it.  At the time I was sort of managing this art gallery - this art gallery with paintings worth thousands of dollars, with no security on site.  So when my employees were being lazy, I snuck into the gallery and swapped one of the paintings with this giant photo of myself as a kid. 

As there were two separate gallery buildings, I snuck out into the separate building.

Later that day, I looked out the window, and my staff was holding a mock-memorial service for 10-year-old-me out on the lawn, all flowers and mock-weeping.

I always felt weird about that giant photo, and eventually threw it out.  Pictures of yourself a re weird.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: It's time
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2010, 12:52:23 am »

Quote
See I think some of the disconnect arises from the bit where you guys are adults that can afford houses. My bedroom fits my bed and a small wardrobe that actually makes it so I can't open and close the door fully. The bookcase is by the front door in the living room/entrance because that is where it fits damnit. I'm not trying to make a statement, I'm trying to keep my books in my house in relative proximity to the chair where I like to read them.

This. Normally when I see bookshelves in someone's house, i think, "oh, this is where they read."

I am unapologetic about having my books semi-prominently displayed. I do not give a shit if you think this is stupid. This will be the one thing in my life I will not overthink.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up