Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

HIDE YOUR SHAME
by wearing new t-shirts from Word Front Wares. Shroud yourself in pure unadulterated awesome.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Really, I write like...What?  (Read 6413 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Asherdan

  • Flavor-Flav's Blinking Tooth
  • Mod Squad
  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 678
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 188
    • View Profile
Really, I write like...What?
« on: July 21, 2010, 04:49:24 pm »

« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 10:37:23 pm by Asherdan »
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Really, I write like...What?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 04:57:09 pm »

Oh man, what a blow, it said I write like Stephen King.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Really, I write like...What?
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 04:59:14 pm »

I got two David Foster Wallaces, a Raymond Chandler and a Cory Doctorow.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Really, I write like...What?
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 05:03:20 pm »

I did this the other day. One of my video game reviews and my most recent post in the "Tacos!" thread both came out as Dan Brown. I don't know how to feel about that; I've never read any of his stuff.

The main page of my professional blog came out as Cory Doctorow. Another professional blog post and an article about video games were Lovecraft-eque, apparently. And a marketing sheet I did for a client recently was Margaret Atwood. But the stuff that feels most natural and is the least self-edited seems to consistently come out as Dan Brown.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Really, I write like...What?
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 05:04:33 pm »

That thing is pretty bogus actually.

Quote
Chestnykh modeled the site on software for e-mail spam filters

http://wtopnews.com/?nid=114&sid=2004713
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Really, I write like...What?
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 05:07:14 pm »


http://wtopnews.com/?nid=114&sid=2004713

Quote
"I had a typewriter when I was 6 years old," he said. "But I'm not a published writer and I don't think I write very good."
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Really, I write like...What?
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 05:11:51 pm »

I pasted-ed-ed in four of my journal entries and I got two Wallaces, one Palahnuik and one Vonnegut.

I have no idea if this is signifcant or not.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Really, I write like...What?
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 05:33:20 pm »

I put in some blog posts and got either Stephen King or Kurt Vonnegut.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Really, I write like...What?
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 05:45:16 pm »

both came out as Dan Brown. I don't know how to feel about that; I've never read any of his stuff.


Mmmmmm....  Well...
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Really, I write like...What?
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 06:03:57 pm »

I seriously don't think you need to worry that a spam filter thinks you write like Dan Brown.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Really, I write like...What?
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 06:07:16 pm »

Well, I mean, if a PERSON told me I write like Dan Brown, should I worry?

The guy might be an idiot, but if he's a best-selling idiot, his writing must be at least good enough to get published. And I'm OK with that.

I would not mind being a best-selling author, is what I'm saying, even if most of the people who bought my book ultimately ended up hating me.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Really, I write like...What?
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 06:11:51 pm »

I would not mind being a best-selling author, is what I'm saying, even if most of the people who bought my book ultimately ended up hating me.

And I'd rather have five people buy my books and love me. I am lousy at business.

But really, I don't think there's any point in giving a moment's thought to who a spam filter thinks you write like.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Really, I write like...What?
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 06:34:58 pm »

my theory, based on how many people get dan brown, is that dan brown is what you get if your writing doesn't fit any of the other authors.

I got Dan Brown for a paper for school. long annoying touamb posts got cory doctorow.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Really, I write like...What?
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 06:44:44 pm »

And I'd rather have five people buy my books and love me. I am lousy at business.

But really, I don't think there's any point in giving a moment's thought to who a spam filter thinks you write like.

Probably not, but it's kind of fun.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Really, I write like...What?
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 07:23:41 pm »

It would be fun if it were well done.  But reading that it's just a spam filter that compares vocabulary, to only fifty authors, and seeing that it gives everyone the same answers anyway, that's no fun at all.

You know, I miss the old days when it was hard to make an internet quiz and the people who did it, put some real work into it. Get off of my lawn.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up