Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Chris Onstad does not wear makeup. Life hasn't given him any funny ideas about who he is.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Really, I write like...What?  (Read 6407 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Really, I write like...What?
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2010, 07:36:34 pm »

It would be fun if it were well done.  But reading that it's just a spam filter that compares vocabulary, to only fifty authors, and seeing that it gives everyone the same answers anyway, that's no fun at all.


Lighten up, Francis Frances.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Really, I write like...What?
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2010, 07:58:36 pm »

WTF?  

This post = Stephen King?

This post = David Foster Wallace?

This blog post = Dan Brown?

There's a strong lack of vag. with these authors, no?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Really, I write like...What?
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2010, 08:16:13 pm »

Five Touamb posts of at least 3 paragraphs length.  Five different authors, including James Joyce and Charles Dickens.  Impenetrable and wordy - not characteristics I was hoping for.

I wonder - if you grabbed some selections from those authors whether the device would correctly identify them.


Edit:  4/5 correct identifications for excerpts from Cory Doctorow, DFW, and Dan Brown.  An unpublished excerpt from DFW was written in the style of Stephen King apparently.

I had no idea who Cory Doctorow was before this, and on quick inspection seems to write stuff I might like - so thanks for that!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 08:30:31 pm by jaydub »
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Really, I write like...What?
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2010, 08:18:57 pm »

OK, so, trying not to be a party pooper, I went and pasted in the first page of something I wrote, and it came back as Cory Doctorow, which seems to be one of the answers it gives everyone. And I went and read the first page of something of his on Amazon, which is in the third person and all narration, when mine was first person and half dialogue.

I say, bummer. It's something that could be so interesting if done correctly, but the idea has been taken by someone whose implementation is crap. That is not fun, that is sad.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Really, I write like...What?
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2010, 12:02:45 am »

Yeah, dude really digs on like the angle that makes sports fun for me.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Really, I write like...What?
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2010, 06:30:25 pm »

There is nothing better in philosophical-style science fiction than some good deep Dick-ing.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Really, I write like...What?
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2010, 06:41:50 pm »

There is nothing better in philosophical-style science fiction than some good deep Dick-ing.

Women who read romance novels instead of sci-fi just need some good deep Dick-ing.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Really, I write like...What?
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2010, 07:05:06 pm »

Women who read romance novels instead of sci-fi just need some good deep Dick-ing.

wouldnt that be common among a lot of women, despite their reading preferences?
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Really, I write like...What?
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2010, 07:13:16 pm »

That assumes that most women aren't already getting Dick-ing. I mean, presumably there's a large percentage of the population that is already sufficiently Dick-ed.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Really, I write like...What?
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2010, 07:15:55 pm »

I consider it a public service to do all the dicking I do.

I'm like, dick dick dick.

(sorry, I forgot you don't like it when I talk about my dicking)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Really, I write like...What?
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2010, 11:30:31 pm »

How many dicks is that?
Logged
ACHIEVE

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Really, I write like...What?
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2010, 03:10:52 am »

I like Dick but find he's kind of divisive, you don't want to recommend or lend to someone until you get to know them, let alone espouse his philosophy.

Don't be a Dick to strangers is what I'm saying I guess.

On another note I had a friend who loved his idea of the Exegesis and was psyched that they were publishing some of it, so I guess some of you might as well.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Really, I write like...What?
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2010, 03:53:41 am »

I think Dick is overrated.  He's kind of a lousy writer and I give his ideas a B+ at best.  I can think of several SF writers of his generation that I respect more.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Really, I write like...What?
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2010, 03:57:09 am »

I'm actually not huge on Dick. Some of my female friends really love Dick (and some guys too) but Dick has never managed to touch me like Asimov, say.

Really I only brought Dick up to pass the time on a boring friday afternoon.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up