Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That you can post photos to the TOUAMB Flickr Pool?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: How to Dress  (Read 40941 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2010, 01:28:03 am »

They want to promote Wombat to assistant manager at her part time job. She's practicing being bossy.

But seriously, no pleats.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2010, 01:34:04 am »

I would never wear pleats.

I used to hate shirts with button-down collars, and now I think I have come to peace with them. Not in a formal setting, though, like... plaid shirts. Plaid shirts with button-down collar.

this guy (drunkenly) stole my short-sleeve plaid shirt, and I want it back so much. It has been well over a year, so I guess I'm never seeing it again.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2010, 03:02:14 am »

On the nature of jackets I will say it varies hugely depending on venue. I like wearing jackets and I like wearing suits but the general dress code at most places I've worked is long sleeve shirt and tie sans jacket, often with the shirt sleeves rolled to just below the elbows in summer. Even the consultants at my hospital dress like this, though the full suits do tend to get broken out for meetings or important events. This is probably partly because it's hot as hell around here so a jacket is less of a good idea.
Anyway point being, you can look classy without a jacket, especially if you stick to tans and browns.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2010, 03:42:04 am »

Maybe I'm old school, or whatever you kids are calling it. Maybe I'm just old. Hell, I don't know. All I know is the tie comes off before the jacket. And cuffed ##### are for teenagers who don't know any better and crusty old southern fools who ought to.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2010, 03:44:29 am »

which reminds me, why isn't *****_god in here posting about how he only wears jumpsuits made of that astronaut cloth.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2010, 01:16:01 pm »

this is good stuff to know.  im filing it away in the memory banks , for real.  i am studying for a profession that mostly takes place in an office-type setting, therefore, i will have to invest in work clothes that are not steel-toe boots/work #####/a t-shirt that i dont mind sweating in and getting dirty.

its going to blow my mind not hearing nigger jokes every day(although those attitudes/ideas can be found in every sort of work place).
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2010, 02:48:41 pm »

its going to blow my mind not hearing n***** jokes every day(although those attitudes/ideas can be found in every sort of work place).

They tell the same jokes in offices, except they use the word "African-American." That's how you can tell the racists went to college.

Have you heard of the phenomenon (it might just be in the southeast) of teenagers calling black people "Canadian?"

Pedro was in a fast-food place one day and a black family walked in, and a table full of white teenage fucktards started talking loudly about how much they hate Canadians, go back to Canada, etc. Nobody else flinched, but Pedro, who was already aware of this bizarre phenomenon, was so disgusted he walked up to their table and called them out on it.

I don't know what the hell is wrong with people. Our county is 20% black and 8% other minorities; how do you go to school in a racially-diverse community and still think it's OK to be a bigoted piece of shit?

Sorry. End of rant.

This thread is making me think that Pedro needs some jackets.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2010, 04:04:56 pm »

That's the first I heard of that one.  I should start calling myself African American just to confuse the situation all the more.

Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2010, 04:42:47 pm »

If someone told that kind of joke where I work, they would be branded as some kind of classless troglodyte. That person would be invited to less meetings and insulated from clients. So I guess it is not acceptable in every work space.
If someone wore pleats, they would be branded as someone who has somehow managed to ignore every bit of male fashion in the past 10 years and therefore unprofessional. Yes, knowing how to dress yourself is part of being professional.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2010, 04:46:48 pm »

True, but A-Cap, you work in a place where you interact directly with customers. Most of the people at Pedro's company don't. And most of the people in his division are programmers and statisticians, so the ability to function socially within a group cannot be assumed.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2010, 05:35:02 pm »

Man, I am so glad that the dress code at my office is basically jeans and golf shirts. We don't even technically need to wear collared shirts at all due to poor wording in the dress code but most people do Mon-Thurs. And most employees seem to think the "no shirts with logos or writing" rule doesn't apply if the Redskins play that night. Or won the night before.

Also: would clothing questions in actual Trivial Pursuit be in WC or Sports & Leisure?
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2010, 05:47:26 pm »

fashion is an art, but style is a science. tossup.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2010, 06:11:00 pm »

I think I like dress shirts with jeans. I think I need to work more of that into Pedro's weekend wardrobe this fall.

(Yes, I dress my spouse. He is color-blind in all the ways that matter and even more fashion handicapped than I am.)
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2010, 06:29:19 pm »

Fuck all you corporate slaves and your silly assed dress codes.  I am working in my office right now and I am literally naked.  In a little while I might put on some shorts and a tshirt.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2010, 06:30:25 pm »

Oh man.  This is a topic that strikes at my being with mantis style like attacks.

I've been trying to move out of dressing like a 13 year old.   Typical dress for me is a T-shirt, jeans, and sneakers.

I'm phasing out any T-shirt with a slogan or something "funny" on it.  

I've also been reading http://putthison.com/, which is pretty much the most inspiring thing ever.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Up