Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
The tip jar is broken, but Wombat will entertain bribe offers, assuming she can find this edit screen again.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: How to Dress  (Read 40898 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2010, 06:42:51 pm »

my everyday uniform:

either cutoff jeans or this one pair of plain grey shorts I bought. t-shirt for a band or something. maybe just plain stripes. high-top nikes.
so yeah, I dress like a 13 year old most of the time.

normally I wear jeans instead of shorts, but it is really hot out.


I really, really want to buy this shirt.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2010, 07:03:13 pm »

Typical dress for me is a T-shirt, jeans, and sneakers.

Me too, and I have no plans to change.

Now that they make lots of shirts with funny things on them in the babydoll style, which looks like women's clothes, I feel like I'm dressed so much more appropriatelythan when I was younger.  So I think it's pretty clear, at my age, that this is as grownup as my wardrobe is ever going to get.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2010, 07:07:01 pm »

Hey Paul! It isn't just work I dress for, y'know. I go to grown up places and do grown up things outside of work and clothes are required there as well.

You can't service all of life in cargo shorts and a funny t-shirt.

I can dress up or down, but on my own terms not according to bunch of assholish fashion dictates.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2010, 07:20:04 pm »

my standard uniform is shorts and a t-shirt with flip flops or sneakers.

but then, i work from home and videoconference across the country. i have hats for when i oversleep.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2010, 07:20:27 pm »

Nice link, smick, and a good goal.

Hey Paul! It isn't just work I dress for, y'know. I go to grown up places and do grown up things outside of work and clothes are required there as well.

You can't service all of life in cargo shorts and a funny t-shirt.


Yeah, but you can easily give too much of a shit about how you dress or god forbid what jewelry you wear.  I'm looking at you, watch boys.

Solid dress shirt (white or blue), grey dress #####, tie.  Suit on days I go to court or if dress ##### aren't clean.  Fuck thinking about it any more than that.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2010, 07:40:13 pm »

I like dressing like a modern man who works for a living. Maybe its just my social circle or the popularity of Mad Men, but the retrosexual professional style is a welcomed development all around. The 24 year old who takes the time to take care of himself and his appearance comes out ahead of the 35 year old who just says "whatever" in the morning and rolls into work wearing whatever was clean that day. The internet-age casual attitude gives to taking one's self and occupation with less respect than it deserves. I would feel awkward running financial analysis in the same clothes I wear watching baseball. Its a state of mind thing for me at least.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2010, 07:53:22 pm »

Then why don't you talk about how you do that in a How To Dress thread instead of just calling us all asshole slaves?

Whatever, you rock on your working naked self.

At first I was just bragging that I didn't have to spend my days around a bunch of [deleted] that judge others by their appearance, but I was also giving advice.  This is a thread about giving clothing advice.  And this is it; don't be a slave, dress how you like and not concern yourself with what [deleted] people might think about it.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2010, 07:53:49 pm »

I felt bad today rolling out to the car and touching my unshaven face.  True, my workplace has no official dress code for scientists, but damnit - a fellow's got to have standards!

Not worth missing the train over though.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2010, 08:03:49 pm »

My standard uniform -- and by the way, these are much harder to accomplish for women than men -- is a fitted, solid-color t-shirt (cut for a lady) and yoga ##### in brown, black, navy, or gray. In the summer, I may substitute a plain, knee-length knit skirt (never shorts); in the winter, I may layer a long-sleeved shirt under the short-sleeved one or add a cardigan or pullover in a variety of colors. I shop almost exclusively at Old Navy because they offer cheap basics that are comfortable and offer maximum range of movement for wrestling with kids.

I wear jeans on dates with Pedro, but yoga ##### are my go-to, mainly because my waistline has changed shape and size drastically seven times over the last six years (what with weight gain, weight loss, and two pregnancies) and I don't have to worry about whether or not they're going to fit this week, no matter how my weight fluctuates. When I get to a size I plan to stay at a while -- now that I'm done with pregnancies -- I'll probably buy more fitted #####, but until I hit the 135-140 range I'm not going to make any more clothing investments. I'm only 10 - 15 lbs away from that, so I give myself a year at most before I'm back to being what passes for smokin' hot in this house. (Just in time for Judy's trip stateside? Hope so.)

For dress-up occasions, I have maybe a dozen dresses, eight or so nice dressy tops and dress ##### in brown, black, navy, and gray. I have few skirts with patterns and prints but I don't wear them much. I have a lot of clothes, but most of them are "just in case." I've gotten more wear out of my boobie shirts and trousers since we re-instituted a biweekly date night.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2010, 08:17:56 pm »

I've also been reading http://putthison.com/, which is pretty much the most inspiring thing ever.

I dunno, some of the stuff on there...first, it's exclusively professional-man oriented, which is fine if you're a professional man, I guess. But mainly, it seems a little snobby about brands, and makes me feel like if I want to dress Pedro well at all I'm going to get a full-time job to support his wardrobe.

What I really need is a website that says, "Wear this ---> not that --->." You know, like the food book. I need something that says, "If you wear t-shirts all the time because they disguise your post-baby belly fat, you'd probably also like [insert fashionable alternative here].
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2010, 08:24:42 pm »

Last month my cousin's kid was in town and we got into an argument because he only buys golf shirts with a logo on the chest and I only buy those without. He wants everybody to know exactly what brand shirt he has on whereas I avoid certain brands (North Face, I'm looking at you) for exactly that reason.

Of course I have no problem advertising bands/webcomics on my chest because I actively like those as opposed to them being the brand of shirt that was on sale, in my size, and not a color I already own.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2010, 08:50:51 pm »

This raises a really monumental question in my mind. Do you mean to say that people like your cousin like shirt brands in exactly the same way that you and I like comics and bands?

When I put it that way the answer is obvious, I guess, but it's truly mindboggling. I guess I must have always assumed that the people whose clothes had logos were sad dupes of the clothing company, that they had kind of been forced to wear that shirt and advertise the company because they couldn't find one without a logo that fit and was on sale and not in a color they already own.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2010, 09:02:28 pm »

FINE!  I put on some #####, are you happy now?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2010, 09:14:28 pm »

Only if you promise they're bullfighter togs.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2010, 10:30:07 pm »

which reminds me, why isn't *****_god in here posting about how he only wears jumpsuits made of that astronaut cloth.

You're pretty close, nowadays I only wear neon-yellow which in my mind is the color of the future.



The only problem is that if you wear neon-yellow in the day, it tends to attract insects like crazy.
Logged
ACHIEVE
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Up