Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Jumping jacks, flinging myself off of low decks, yelling into an empty bottle of carrot juice. Trying to get in writing mode.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: How to Dress  (Read 40919 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2010, 10:31:24 pm »

Quote
Last month my cousin's kid was in town and we got into an argument because he only buys golf shirts with a logo on the chest and I only buy those without. He wants everybody to know exactly what brand shirt he has on whereas I avoid certain brands (North Face, I'm looking at you) for exactly that reason.

My parents did not understand this for the longest time. They finally got it right when they stopped buying me clothes.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2010, 11:00:47 pm »

I dunno, some of the stuff on there...first, it's exclusively professional-man oriented, which is fine if you're a professional man, I guess. But mainly, it seems a little snobby about brands, and makes me feel like if I want to dress Pedro well at all I'm going to get a full-time job to support his wardrobe.

Well, it's a men's sartorial blog... so not a whole lot of ladyplay to take place.   

I've always read the author's brand snobbery as coming more from a place of quality, than fashion.   Jesse tends to highlight items that will last a while.   An Old Navy jean, will not last as long as a Levi, will not last as long as some of the raw denim options.  That's also why he tends to have a preoccupation with posting links to eBay vintage auctions.

Some of his advice though is magnificent:

Wedding Attire for Grooms: http://putthison.com/post/334425916/weddingattireformen - This is pretty much gold made text.
Hats and Douches: http://putthison.com/post/365446401/hatsdouchesanddorks - Man, when I was a young idiot, the dream was to eventually get a fedora AND a duster.  WHAT COULD LOOK fuck*ng COOLER THAN THAT?!
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2010, 11:30:11 pm »

Wedding Attire for Grooms: http://putthison.com/post/334425916/weddingattireformen - This is pretty much gold made text.
Morning dress FTW.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2010, 11:58:57 pm »

I need a fuck*ng Panama hat, STAT - and not one of those fake ones without give, but the real deal that you can fold and roll and stuff in your pocket.


I used to only wear Levi's jeans until I realized that it wasn't myself that made me look frumpy but my jeans. The next week I bought a couple pair of Lucky Brand that I thought looked good and I still have them over a year later. Levi's record without tearing was about nine months, and another three months before they were shredded beyond what modesty allows. These Lucky Brand jeans? Not a tear yet (though my cellphone pocket is wearing thin in one pair). Old Navy can kiss my skinny white ass.

(how the hell does it happen that my ass stays skinny though i've got a serious case of Dunlop? how does that make sense?)
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2010, 04:00:59 am »

If a light blue dress shirt and some dark blue slacks from the JCPenneys Big and Tall catalogue ain't good enough for a place, that place ain't worth a damn to me.

My head is already chock full of political conspiracy theories and parody songs and baseball statistics and the powers of minor side-characters in The X-Men.

I mean, if you need to know what kind of cuff links are non-gauche for a fox hunt or for eating lark's tongue in aspic, you go do that and have fun.

But the kind of stuff you gotta dress like that for, I don't enjoy things like that anyway so we're even.

I dress up for weddings, funerals and to get into exclusive magicians' performance lairs. That's it.

Die, get married or learn some really good close-up magic if you want me in a tie.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2010, 04:14:09 am »

(how the hell does it happen that my ass stays skinny though i've got a serious case of Dunlop? how does that make sense?)

Beer? I'm pretty sure that I will be rail-thin the rest of my life, but if I'm not careful I start to get a gut that I'm sure would keep on growing if I let it, while the rest of my body would stay the same.

Lucky jeans are great quality for the money, and they have great sales too. They also sell a 37" inseam which is rare. Denim is the one piece of casual wear that I will spend a large premium on, since you usually get what you pay for (to a point).
Logged

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2010, 05:59:26 am »

I need a fuck*ng Panama hat, STAT

Why you do not want a Panama hat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8ICwnEm_HA
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2010, 06:28:04 am »

Sesame Street used to be so much better than it is now.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2010, 06:53:23 am »

I don't think we're talking out of blind nostalgia here, I think you're absolutely right.

It used to be this... collage of experimental films perfunctorally framed by puppets telling kids how to spell.

It now seems to be this thing that sells dolls that liberal parents are slightly less ashamed of buying for their children. Some dick named Elmo hosts it.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2010, 02:57:28 pm »

Actually, it's hosted by a red fuzzy thing named Murray, and they've gone to a format that includes a rotation of longer segments with more complex storylines. Elmo's there a lot, yeah, but Ernie, Cookie Monster, The Count, Grover, and Oscar all still feature prominently. The celebrity guests are also a lot of fun (Neil Patrick Harris as the Shoe Fairy? Yes, please).

When was the last time you saw an episode of Sesame Street, honestly? 'Cause I watch it several times a week with my kids. I have very fond memories of it from when I was a kid, and while the format has changed, they're commensurate with the changes in our educational system that now involve kids having homework in Kindergarten. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2010, 03:21:17 pm »

According to that history of Sesame Street book I read they've also had to adapt to a younger demographic. When it started the average viewer was 5 or 6 but now the average viewer is 3 or 4. Hence the introduction of Elmo. Big Bird was originally intended as the viewers' avatar as he had the same basic mental faculties as a 5-year-old. But when younger kids started watching and older ones stopped they brought in Elmo to represent them.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2010, 04:48:48 pm »

So what are the 5 and 6 year olds supposed to do?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2010, 05:44:47 pm »

So what are the 5 and 6 year olds supposed to do?
...changes in our educational system that now involve kids having homework in Kindergarten. 

are you even reading the thread.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2010, 06:21:52 pm »

are you even reading the thread.

That doesn't mean they shouldn't have their own witty and entertaining educational TV show which doesn't talk down to them!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2010, 06:26:18 pm »

well there is "According to Jim"
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Up