Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Italian food is like pornography. I can’t define it, but I know when I have paid too much.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Down

Author Topic: How to Dress  (Read 41004 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #165 on: December 31, 2010, 03:52:35 am »

I do the washer thing.

Also, like a month ago I realized I had been using fabric softener instead of soap for the last 2-3 washings.  I bought some detergent.

Keith, I have never worried about you being single until now. At least when Pedro did this, we could just laugh and blame it on his being 18.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #166 on: December 31, 2010, 08:03:22 am »

Oh, I wouldn't worry. He was probably just really high.

I find that washing Pedro's clothes for him is easier and cheaper than replacing them. He's a "wash everything together in one big load, on hot, and then dry it in the dryer on the highest setting it's got" kind of guy.

I'm good with clothes that require special attention, but yeah, everything else gets that treatment. When I lived with my aunt's family it drove her nuts. "WHY DO YOU REFUSE TO SEPARATE WHITES AND COLORS?!" My point was I do when it matters.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 08:06:38 am by miles »
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #167 on: December 31, 2010, 04:09:33 pm »

When I first started working up here and I was still working outside all the time, I really enjoyed doing laundry. Just dump everything in - red sweatshirts, white socks, coveralls - everything. I miss that sense of childlike wonder and freedom.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #168 on: December 31, 2010, 05:11:34 pm »

I tend to only separate my clothes when they're new. I've never actually seen anything bleed and after a few washings I figure I'm safe. Plus living a lone I barely create enough laundry for one load a week and the machines don't charge less for half loads.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #169 on: December 31, 2010, 06:59:15 pm »

Why does anyone have white clothes?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #170 on: December 31, 2010, 09:13:48 pm »

Why does anyone have white clothes?

dress shirts?  white undershirts? 
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #171 on: December 31, 2010, 09:39:01 pm »

Tighty Whities.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #172 on: December 31, 2010, 09:40:10 pm »

most of my socks and half of my collared shirts are white. on the rare occasion i have any kind of tan, it such as enhances the old skin tone
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #173 on: December 31, 2010, 11:56:23 pm »

I wear a lot of white socks. It is only recently that I have begun to wear non-white socks without wearing slacks. I never wear white t-shirts or anything like that, though.

I initially typed "Also, wife-beaters look best in white" and then I got to thinking about it. That is a horrible term to just nonchalantly refer to something as - no matter how accurate and fitting it is.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #174 on: January 01, 2011, 02:53:21 pm »

Ugh, you guys are making me jealous. I do six loads of laundry EVERY WEEK, minimum. (Assuming neither kid pees the bed.) When I was using cloth diapers, it was more like ten.

- One load of towels
- Two loads of t-shirts & pajamas
- One load of socks/underwear
- One load of jeans/#####/heavy clothes (even in the summer; I wear jeans year-round and my son wears denim shorts a lot)
- One load of delicate/perma press/Pedro's work clothes

And then, of course, sheets as necessary. And I'm not subdividing by type to create more work for myself -- these are full loads. I have a super-capacity washer, and I never use anything but the highest water setting (unless, of course, we have a messy diaper leak and I have to wash some poopy clothes separately). In the spring/summer/early fall, I line-dry everything except Pedro's t-shirts (he doesn't like the way they feel when they come off the clothesline), but in the winter I use the dryer for everything except delicates. (I have an indoor clothesline but it takes waaay too long for most things).

I usually do three loads on Tuesdays and three more on Fridays, but this week I've been slack because we've been enjoying Family Time, so I've got an absolute mountain of laundry waiting for me right now. It's at least five loads, and I need to do at least four of them today.

Still, I'd rather do laundry than clean the kitchen.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #175 on: January 01, 2011, 04:44:10 pm »

Laundry is just an ongoing constant here.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #176 on: January 01, 2011, 05:29:45 pm »

I try to do all the laundry when I am home. When I first moved down and we were renting a house, we bought a washer and dryer from a friend for a grand total of $50. They're at least 20 years old, maybe 30. I so want new shit, but they still work fine, so I can't justify it (and the amortization on the old purchase - I'm making so much money on these).
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #177 on: January 01, 2011, 05:36:55 pm »

Actually, if they're that old -- especially the dryer -- you might be better served buying a more energy-efficient model. 20 or 30 years ago, washers and dryers were even bigger energy hogs than they are today. I bet if you replaced them, you'd see a significant drop in your power and water usage.

Would it be worth it in the long run? Not for me to say. But a good justification for taking the plunge if you've got the cash and are wanting an excuse for the new-and-shiny.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #178 on: January 01, 2011, 05:39:03 pm »

Yeah, I gotta save my money for replacing the chimney, basement carpeting, and fixing the AC. You are right, though, they are likely to be hogging some juice.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #179 on: January 01, 2011, 10:02:34 pm »

Sometimes I read the discussions between you homeowners and am thankful I'm still renting.  With the market down and all the emtpy houses around here though, I wonder if it might be time to start taking the plunge.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Up