Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Note how white pepper, ground freshly into one's hand, makes it smell as though you've been rubbing your open palm around on a horse's anus.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to Dress  (Read 41042 times)

0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #195 on: July 25, 2012, 04:12:24 pm »

Got my suit back from the tailor. I look more like a guy from Goodfellas than a guy from Mad Men in this thing.
Fellows of a certain height look more like penguins than gangsters or ad agency flacks when forced to wear suits.  I'm sure this fact is at least partially behind my decision to go into a career where occasions to wear suits are few and far between. 
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #196 on: July 25, 2012, 04:19:50 pm »

I know this is the dork answer, but I am a big fan of reddit.com/r/malefashionadvice. If you post a picture (maybe with the face blurred out) and say "why does this suit make me feel like an extra from Goodfellas?" they will respond with a point by point analysis of why the suit looks that way. They also have guides on the side with pointers for people who know less than you probably know. I have relied on them heavily when looking for things like dress shoes, summer shoes, etc.

This summer I have embraced that I am just going to look like a weird hipster nerd. Shorter shorts, boat shoes, striped t-shirt, my bright yellow backpack. Every day. All day. Looking good.

One friend said that " look like a 7 year old on the first day of school." Since then I have upgraded my canvas sneakers to real boat shoes. Very comfortable. But they make me feel a little like my dad.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #197 on: July 25, 2012, 05:24:26 pm »

I own a purple tie, and I think it looks good. I am a pale Scotsman.

I wore a purple tie yesterday.  I am a pale-American.

I don't give a fuck whether it looked good or not.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #198 on: July 31, 2012, 12:33:19 pm »

Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #199 on: July 31, 2012, 04:59:31 pm »

That's pretty rad GKA.  Isn't Bill Nye lovely?

Two of my male coworkers came to work wearing purple recently and apparently this was an issue to my female boss.  I had just registered both of the as "looking nice" without really noticing anything unusual.  She always notices what people are wearing though, I mostly don't.  Both were very dark purple polo shirts.  Is it fare to say women have full access to the colour pallet while men have all sorts of perceived limitations?  Like, it's always a statement when a man wears pink, but not a statement when a woman wears blue...
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #200 on: July 31, 2012, 08:10:57 pm »

Is it fare to say women have full access to the colour pallet while men have all sorts of perceived limitations? 

Sure, but I always figure it's a fair trade for all that stuff like how we make less money than they do for doing the same jobs, and such.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #201 on: July 31, 2012, 09:22:13 pm »

I honestly don't get the wage gap argument. Are they saying they earn less because there is discrimination against women? Or are they saying women earn less because of basic facts of like we all have to live with?
Most of it sounds like it falls in the correlation =/= causation side.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #202 on: November 28, 2012, 05:39:47 pm »

Is it fare to say women have full access to the colour pallet while men have all sorts of perceived limitations?  Like, it's always a statement when a man wears pink, but not a statement when a woman wears blue...

I was reading an article about nerdy women. It basically said that western culture views a woman who takes an interest in manly things as bettering herself, but a man taking an interest in ladylike things is a "broken machine." I think that sentiment directly applies to the colour pallet thing. A subtle and deeply ingrained form of misogyny.
Logged

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #203 on: November 28, 2012, 10:51:29 pm »

Logged
[expletive deleted]

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #204 on: December 04, 2012, 11:20:47 pm »

Logged
[expletive deleted]

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #205 on: May 01, 2013, 10:58:38 pm »

i recently lost my last favorite pair of jeans to time and tearing. rest in peace, you lucky sons of bitches.

anyway i decided i'm through with jeans for a while. i'm short and fat, and it's tough to find jeans that look good, especially if they fit well. if they do both, they're expensive, and damnit i'm sick of the hunt.

so, slacks. they're a hell of a lot comfier than jeans, mostly, though they don't usually grow with you over time. they come in all kinds of weights for seasonable adjustments, and fabrics and colors for every consideration you'd need to bother yourself for. and anybody that says i'm not allowed to wear casual kicks with chinos can go fuck themselves.

fine, i admit it, i'm getting old. you know what else i don't wear? white sneakers. sure, i have a pair of white adidas sambas, but they have black stripes and a tan suede toe. my tastes have evolved, and thank * for it.

my slacks'es colors, in case anybody's wondering: black, charcoal, navy, dark brown, medium brown, light grey. no tan or khaki, by design. in the market for olive and maybe eventually some shade of red and/or lighter blue. also no white, nor will i ever.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #206 on: May 02, 2013, 05:02:53 am »

oh, I posted something here from my phone and it didn't take.

My favorite ##### are brown. I don't know what the name for this type of ##### is. My dad would call them Chinos, but to me that name evokes baggy ##### with big pleats. I guess they are brown khakis.

I roll the cuff a few inches and wear them with low-top canvas sneakers and no socks. It feels great.

I gained a tiny amount of weight, and suddenly all of my jeans are skintight. Good thing it's shorts weather. By fall I'll have biked it off and will be able to wear them without shame again.
My favorite shorts are the one item I wear regularly that breaks my self-imposed color rules-- they are "nantucket red."

I think I am kind of Over the skinny jeans thing. I am looking for jeans that are a little looser, but still tapered towards the cuff. 4 years of super-skinny jeans makes anything else feel like bell-bottoms.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dress
« Reply #207 on: May 02, 2013, 01:28:34 pm »

I think I am kind of Over the skinny jeans thing. I am looking for jeans that are a little looser, but still tapered towards the cuff. 4 years of super-skinny jeans makes anything else feel like bell-bottoms.

I'm the opposite. I've been wearing boot-cut jeans since...1993? I've tried on straight-leg jeans a few times and I even own two pairs of skinny jeans (which I wear exclusively with knee-high boots), but they always take me right back to 1987 and my stonewashed rainbow-dyed jeans with the zippers in the cuff.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]   Go Up