Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No, Philippe! Too soon!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: So much for puppy 2.0  (Read 4065 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
So much for puppy 2.0
« on: July 28, 2010, 06:50:01 pm »

My hubby and I occasionally joke that we would like to clone our pets.  Seems like that option is not as close as I once thought it was.  Fascinating press release though.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: So much for puppy 2.0
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 06:57:43 pm »

Somehow I missed that. Very interesting.

As someone who's married to one of a pair of identical twins, I've never been tempted to clone my pets.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

fanta

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -32
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 128
    • View Profile
Re: So much for puppy 2.0
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 10:30:52 am »


Quote
One clone of a male donor was actually born female (we still have no good explanation for how that happened).


Quote
For every dog cloned by RNL in the future, it’s likely that a dozen or more will be slaughtered for food as a direct result.


I dunno... is there anything so terrible about eating dogs? 

Hell we'll need to be eating humans soon enough if we don't stop having so many kids...
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: So much for puppy 2.0
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 01:05:15 pm »



I dunno... is there anything so terrible about eating dogs? 


It's immoral to eat cute animals.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: So much for puppy 2.0
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 09:00:12 pm »

A far more bizarre way of assuring you can enjoy your pet for years to come.  As one of our cats is a total sock theif, I would consider doing this as a tribute to him... but then again... no.

Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: So much for puppy 2.0
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 12:49:11 am »

I am sure I posted this before.

If anybody here ever decides to have yarn spun from a pet, I hereby volunteer my knitting skills to provide you with kitty socks or pug mittens or whatever. I'm both fascinated and repulsed by this idea, but I could not pass up an opportunity to say I've knitted with cat or dog fiber.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: So much for puppy 2.0
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 01:24:41 am »

I am sure I posted this before.

If anybody here ever decides to have yarn spun from a pet, I hereby volunteer my knitting skills to provide you with kitty socks or pug mittens or whatever. I'm both fascinated and repulsed by this idea, but I could not pass up an opportunity to say I've knitted with cat or dog fiber.
So I have these guinea pigs, when one crokes, do I just mail you the thing in a box?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: So much for puppy 2.0
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 01:50:11 am »

I think for that you need someone that tans hides, not someone who knits.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: So much for puppy 2.0
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 02:02:04 am »

No, you should brush it while it's alive and mail its fur to someone who spins.

I do not spin.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: So much for puppy 2.0
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 02:04:31 am »

a friend of mine from HS makes a living with her spinning wheel.  i can maybe get you's a discount.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: So much for puppy 2.0
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 06:19:32 pm »

Discount pet fur yarn, and someone who makes a living via the use of her spinning wheel.  There are two things I have had trouble imagining.

You're right JL.  I did post something about cat fur wool, or something similar at some time in the past.  Damned if the serch function isn't helping matters.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 08:49:41 pm by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: So much for puppy 2.0
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 06:37:57 pm »

I have been collecting dog fur from my RL plushie for use in oil booms.  If that ends up being unnecessary, I will have cubic feet of pure white 4" fur.  It begs to be used for spinning & knitting.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: So much for puppy 2.0
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 06:42:58 pm »

Where did you plan on sending your bushel of fur? Because I just had a mental image of you shoving hair in an envelope and just writing "LOUISIANA" on it.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

fanta

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -32
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 128
    • View Profile
Re: So much for puppy 2.0
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 06:56:02 am »

this thread blew my mind.  Spinning pet hair, oil absorbing booms.  wow.

I read The Moon is a Harsh Mistress recently, so sure, I can imagine reusing pet fur if you lived in an artificial terrarium on the moon.

It's certainly the ecologically progressive and culturally progressive thing to do - recycle your pet fur.  That and shoot everyone at your workplace.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: So much for puppy 2.0
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2010, 06:52:48 pm »

There's a "grassroots" organization that had coordinated with pet groomers and vets in a couple metro areas (mine is one of them) to get pet fur for making booms.  Supply overwhelmed their boom-making capabilities and their warehouse(s?) in LA filled up, so they asked people to stem the tide for a bit.  I haven't gotten an email from them saying whether they're accepting donations again (you were supposed to take your fur to a local vet or groomer to add to their shipment). 

Edit:  The org is Matter of Trust and from the pics on their site it looks like their effort is legit (whether its effective....)

« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 06:57:25 pm by jaydub »
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up