Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

this is a messageboard. people talk about stuffs in messageboards. all is well&all is good.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: Wanking Around, Wondering...  (Read 46076 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #75 on: September 08, 2010, 12:22:41 am »

Yeah, if you're in dire enough a situation to be asking people for nothing-back no-strings-attached donations...

That might not be the time to also take your strip to a bi-monthly format.

You might wanna start busting out whatever you can, even somewhat subpar stuff, just to remind people that you exist.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #76 on: September 08, 2010, 12:30:27 am »

I hope he keeps in kind how much it would suck if he had to get a job working for the man.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #77 on: September 08, 2010, 12:30:51 am »

He's obviously working on something else, we just don't know what it is.  Hell, he might even be whoring himself out to some commercial job.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #78 on: September 08, 2010, 12:31:42 am »

I hope he keeps in kind how much it would suck if he had to get a job working for the man.

Ha, we posted at the same time.  Who can say for sure he's not doing exactly that?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #79 on: September 08, 2010, 12:37:29 am »

Ha, we posted at the same time.  Who can say for sure he's not doing exactly that?

Are you fuck*ng kidding me, Paul? One thing I can say for sure (as sure as I can know anyone from the internet), there ain't no way that guy's holding down a straight job.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #80 on: September 08, 2010, 12:46:30 am »

Are you fuck*ng kidding me, Paul? One thing I can say for sure (as sure as I can know anyone from the internet), there ain't no way that guy's holding down a straight job.

Good!  Then, when he gets fired he can get back to the talking cats and alive stuffed animals.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #81 on: September 08, 2010, 02:35:28 am »

If he had taken up another day job, I reckon he wouldn't be frantically begging for money from strangers on his website.

Taking another day job would be a total admission to the fact that he's regarding Achewood as a hobby/supplimentary income again, yeah?

So those things wouldn't happen in that order.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #82 on: September 08, 2010, 03:31:56 am »

The begging for money thing is starting to piss me off to be honest. He chooses not to do anything. He chooses not to produce a product for consumption either free or for a cost. He's just blindly begging for money for nothing in return.
The difference between him and a panhandler is that I can believe the panhandler has had some special circumstance that is preventing him from earning a wage.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #83 on: September 08, 2010, 04:44:01 am »

I mean, I can see him leaving up the donation thing for the purposes of new readers, coming on just now.

He does have a rather amazing backlog of content up that wasn't taken down when it was published in book form or put behind a second paywall for the archive.

How he could hook many new readers to get them to donate is the problem, when you aren't updating your site anymore.

For people actually paying for the paywall stuff, this must be even more insulting.

"I'm paying you for the extra content that used to be for free and now you're asking me to donate extra for the stuff that was supposed to stay free but is now simply non-existent?"

Man, why did he have to go and do a thing.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #84 on: September 08, 2010, 12:10:16 pm »

OK, I admit it. Even I am starting to despair now.


(Edit doo two such despair that I kan't spel kurekly.)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 02:59:13 pm by wombat »
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #85 on: September 08, 2010, 02:40:38 pm »

i agree with wombat.

but, oh well, all good things must come to an end.

The begging for money thing is starting to piss me off to be honest. He chooses not to do anything. He chooses not to produce a product for consumption either free or for a cost. He's just blindly begging for money for nothing in return.
The difference between him and a panhandler is that I can believe the panhandler has had some special circumstance that is preventing him from earning a wage.

you are insane.

many panhandlers panhandle as an occupation.  many people under special circumstances have direct resources for direct help that has nothing to do with standing on a street spreading TB to passers-by.  people under special circumstances who do end up standing on the street spreading TB will generally be given multiple forms of advice as to what to do with themselves. intermixed between "get a job" and "fuck off and die" will be juicy tidbits like "go to the shelter on the corner of 1st and Ave A and they can get you a hot meal and a direction".

there are a large number of people under special circumstances who will still end up on the street spreading TB, but the number of them compared to the number of people who will stab you in the back of the neck with a with a broken spoke from a schwinn in order to sell your socks to the crazy lady who eats cats in order to by sterno is such a poor ratio as to not lend one to hope in regards to thinking the best of panhandlers.

regardless of the bodily damage you may well incur from your optimism,
the primary difference between Chris Onstadt begging for money and a panhandler who may either be on hard times or be on hard drugs is that the panhandler doesn't have a website full of years worth of content for you to freely peruse.

or, if the panhandler does, maybe he should get off the street and stop spreading TB.

Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #86 on: September 08, 2010, 03:00:29 pm »

And of course the other difference is that if Chris Onstad had TB, you couldn't catch it through his website.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #87 on: September 08, 2010, 03:26:52 pm »

-Stuff-

And that was the day that A-Cap got chewed out for being too charitable to the homeless.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 03:37:46 pm by Doc »
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #88 on: September 08, 2010, 03:46:36 pm »

Speaking just from having lived about a quarter of my life in Los Angeles, the majority of the homeless people I saw appeared (granted, I am not a trained professional but I have a lot of personal experience in the matter) to be suffering some kind mental illness in the schizophrenic spectrum.

After that, the largest group seemed to be people who'd been addicted to heavy drugs and alcohol for so long that they functioned at a similar capacity to someone with an in-born mental illness, even if it was brought on by drug abuse instead of genetics.

Perhaps I was looking in the wrong places?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #89 on: September 08, 2010, 04:30:16 pm »

And that was the day that A-Cap got chewed out for being too charitable to the homeless.

I can die now; I've seen everything.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19   Go Up