Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am in a bed with an Asleepness Hat on.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: Wanking Around, Wondering...  (Read 46280 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #105 on: September 09, 2010, 07:20:59 pm »

...unless it ended looking into the fireplace and there, burning away, is a drum machine manual.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #106 on: September 09, 2010, 08:29:25 pm »

Canned.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #107 on: September 09, 2010, 11:43:13 pm »

Is there any industry speculation about Onstad's dwindling production?  I don't know if there even exist such as a webzine about online comics, maybe a blog or two somewhere; surely they would have noticed what's going on and commented on it.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #108 on: September 09, 2010, 11:46:57 pm »

Here's a possibility that I thought of.  Maybe the Onstad's have another kid.  So now, in addition to having a 3-4 year old he's doing the baby thing again.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #109 on: September 10, 2010, 12:00:21 am »

Wouldn't we get another pretending-to-be-ironic-but-entirely-sincerely-cloyingly-cute string of microblogs about the baby, then, and the near-immediate commodifying of said product?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #110 on: September 10, 2010, 12:21:44 am »

Is there any industry speculation about Onstad's dwindling production?  I don't know if there even exist such as a webzine about online comics, maybe a blog or two somewhere; surely they would have noticed what's going on and commented on it.

There is Fleen and I think he links to other sites on the same topic sometimes but I don't remember what they are.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #111 on: September 10, 2010, 12:25:22 am »

It might actually be relevant that he has been in rather poor health this week, according to his Twitter, for example:

Quote
Who wants to spend all day in bed with me while I hork up yellow bloody phlegm and Luna bar chunks? WELL YOU'RE TOO LATE IT'S OVER. (I hope)

So perhaps all this talk of the demise of the comic is premature.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #112 on: September 10, 2010, 12:43:06 am »

That'd only explain the last week, though.

And it doesn't explain "Bad Hick Accent Theatre" at all. haha.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Dangermoose

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 191
    • View Profile
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #113 on: September 10, 2010, 02:21:36 am »

Is he on strike? Until we all donate?  If so he should be less coy about it.
Logged

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #114 on: September 10, 2010, 03:53:58 am »

Here's the thing that troubles me: I don't have any problem per se with the hitting-people-up-for-donations thing, but if you're going to do it, shouldn't you first make sure that you've got two or three weeks' worth of new strips that you can post at regular intervals, so that your readers will be reminded of why they should donate in the first place? That seems to me to be a much better business model than begging for donations at the same time that you completely stop updating, and hoping that your readers will figure that the regular updates will come right back once you've got enough donations.

If he's not updating because he's been sick, that's perfectly understandable, but if so, he should have waited till he had sufficient material to return to a regular posting schedule before begging for donations.

I guess what I'm saying is, I sure hope Onstad isn't in a situation.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #115 on: September 10, 2010, 04:53:10 am »

If the dude was situified, though, in some kind of long-term manner, he would've spilled some general deets.

It would've served as a long term excuse, it could've certainly drummed up more sympathy for donations and...

You know, it would've allowed him to return with a fanfare and a backlog, eventually, instead of the half-hearted trickle we've seen the last few months.

He seems smarter than that, that's too many miscalculations on top of each other.

However, it DOES sound like the avoidance pattern of a dude in an anxiety/panic spiral, now that I think of it.

Because I wouldn't need to see that movie, Dottie, I've lived it.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #116 on: September 10, 2010, 12:00:11 pm »

I think we have all been reading too much into this. I mean, you know the man is a god to me, but he has terrible work habits. "Two or three weeks' worth of new strips" is something he couldn't do if his life depended on it. So it's no surprise that his simply getting a cold makes it look from the outside like the whole enterprise has collapsed.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #117 on: September 10, 2010, 02:37:45 pm »

"Two or three weeks' worth of new strips" is something he couldn't do if his life depended on it.

He couldn't do two strips?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #118 on: September 10, 2010, 03:39:45 pm »

He couldn't do two strips?

I'm unable to do two cans.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Wanking Around, Wondering...
« Reply #119 on: September 10, 2010, 07:49:02 pm »

Quote from: smick
I'm unable to do two cans.

It's okay, I'll cover you for that second one, repayable upon the day and date of the next Daisy Owl.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19   Go Up