Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Trains are saying "hello".  All this time, we just snub them.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 26   Go Down

Author Topic: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field  (Read 42365 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2010, 02:42:47 am »

Quote from: Solana Beach Sun (whatever the fuck that is)
The San Diego Chargers placed veteran long snapper David Binn on "Reserve-Injured" on Wednesday due to a hamstring injury. The longest-tenured Charger will miss the rest of the season. Binn played in 256 of the last 257 regular-season games San Diego has played and all 12 of its playoff games dating back to his rookie season in 1994.

Dammit! This guy's been like a rock! Hell, he dated Pamela Anderson and that didn't take him out!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2010, 03:21:11 am »

How can a quarterback named Manning earn negative fantasy points?

Edit:  Nevermind.  Last minute TD kept that sign of the Apocalypse sealed.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 03:35:25 am by jaydub »
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2010, 03:21:41 am »

All I need for a win is for Colston to catch like 5 90-yard touchdown passes.  In the next six minutes.

Yep, it's fantasy football, all right...
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2010, 01:35:56 am »

My squad seems to be shaping up ok. It's gratifying to have the team do well after a live draft.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2010, 02:24:20 am »

Results of idle research: I think this is the box score from the first NFL game I attended in person (I might have gone to one before this). Check out the first downs and total yards. I don't understand why this happens.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2010, 02:52:08 am »

The first NFL game I ever attended, my brother got pneumonia and ended up in the hospital.

Ah, Buffalo.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2010, 04:37:03 am »

The NFL is the only one of the big 4 that I have not seen a game in person.  Went to at least 5 games at OU and probably 25 at OSU so that probably counts.  Especially OU.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2010, 08:25:06 am »

What's the big 4, NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2010, 10:11:52 am »

What's the big 4, NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL?

That would be it.  During the trip for my first MLB game my little league baseball team played pool baseball with Joe Carter.  We were both from Oklahoma City.  It is probably the only picture I have. 

I went to my only NBA game to yell stuff at Gilbert Arenas.  It was before the whole gun thing, and I was yelling good things.  It was super icy in OKC and maybe 2000 people were there tops.

I went to my only NHL game randomly because of free tickets.  It was hella sweet- way cooler than I thought it would be.  I was offered some free Denver Broncos tickets around the same time but didn't go.


Dayum, we all know about the Joe Carter home run, but here are two pretty kick ass trivia facts about him, from wiki:

Carter has the unique honour of being the first person to score a run in a World Series outside of the United States (Game 3, 1992 World Series) and the last person to do so (Game 6, 1993 World Series), a distinction that will remain in place until Toronto wins the American League pennant again (in 1993 there were two Canadian teams, but the Montreal Expos never reached a World Series and exist today as the Washington Nationals). He is also the only player ever to both record the final out in one World Series, and get a series-clinching walk-off hit in another.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 10:16:17 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2010, 01:00:21 pm »

I believe this is the first (or maybe second) NFL game I attended:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199611100was.htm

Truly redonkulous.  Redskins up by 14 in the 4th, Cardinals tie it.  Both teams missed field goals in OT before the Cardinals finally hit one.  Boomer Esiason all throwin' for 500 yards.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2010, 01:32:10 pm »

I've been to several NFL games and multiple MLB games.  I don't have much interest in hockey, so an NHL game is unlikely.  Haven't been to an NBA game, but been to lots of college basketball.  Oddly enough, I did go to a couple of ABA games as a kid. Go Colonels!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2010, 03:23:35 pm »

Yeah, but Alex Van Pelt. I work with a guy who played corner against Vince Young in high school. He admits that VY burned him pretty badly.

It's somewhat charitable to consider the NHL still part of the big four, and I like hockey more than base or basketball. I've seen ten or fifteen NHL games and one NBA game. Also some semipro hockey and college FB. I'd like to go to an NHL game in the next few seasons. I'm not sure how ugly they get - I was surprised at how chippy it got in the stands for SD - Sea on Sunday.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2010, 03:29:45 pm »

A few years ago a group of soccer supporters went to a Caps game. Apparently the other hockey fans were quite annoyed and how they kept standing and cheering and whatnot. From this I gather one watches hockey while sitting quietly in the manner of an opera or Japanese wrestling.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2010, 03:49:48 pm »

It's more the standing part.  Caps fans are plenty loud, but the expectation is that you're sitting down until something big happens (i.e. a goal or a fight).

I had Caps season tickets for two years, during their LAST good phase (when they won two division titles and traded for Jaromir Jagr).  Don't go all that often any more, but at least once a season.  Been to a handful of NFL and NBA games.  I actually think one is better off watching a football game at home, in terms of actually seeing what's going on in the game, not to mention not freezing your ass of in December and not having to pay $8 for a beer.  But there is something about the overall spectacle of a live NFL game with 80,000 of your closest friends that makes it worth doing every once in a while.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2010, 03:54:15 pm »

i ain't payin two hundred a seat to watch the falcons do anything.

growing up in ohio in the eighties, i got to see the reds post-machine and the bengals' one good season with boomer. the browns and indians were across the state so they were the enemy. still: reds? bengals? ugh. this is why i'm not so much a sports fan.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 26   Go Up