Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

When the creations of a genius collide with the mind of a layman, and produce an empty sound, there is little doubt as to which is at fault. - Salvador Dali

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 26   Go Down

Author Topic: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field  (Read 42372 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2010, 04:36:29 pm »

I've seen a mess of MLB games at Shea and Citi and The Big A and Dodger Stadium, of course, and a few NFL games in Buffalo and that's really it in the terms of the major league games.

I doubt I could fit in the seats at Fenway and I doubt I could spend nine innings in fuck*ng Yankee Stadium without leaving on a fuck*ng stretcher.

I love the hell out of live minor league hockey, in person watching dudes from farms in Alberta just wailing on each other over and over again trying to get called up as an enforcer, but the NHL bores me... probably mostly because it is almost as bad of a television sport as soccer and since they're in the majors already, they don't fight nearly as much.

The NBA... eh. Eh. I just can't generate much more feeling about the NBA than "meh".

I did rush the field after the one Big East Championship 'Cuse won while McNabb was there, winning on a last-second touchdown. That was fun as hell.

I was bigger than a lot of the opposing team's players and a lot of them were crying, which was... weird.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2010, 05:21:55 pm »

There used to be an ECHL team in the Maryland 'burbs (they since moved to Mississippi or someplace like that where they don't naturally have ice, ever).  I organized a couple of group outings to their games with the promise "If there isn't a fight, I will personally refund the cost of your ticket."  I never had to pay.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2010, 05:31:20 pm »

I have seen an ECHL game.  That was pretty fun, even though I no nothing about hockey.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2010, 10:12:42 pm »

I was in Pittsburgh to play the Pitt Panthers and I broke curfew to have a cabby take me down to Three Rivers Stadium. There was no game or event that night so I scaled a fence or two and avoided the office side and...found myself the field. I ran around on what I thought was the TarTan (it was Astro by then)Turf and took pictures of my feet on the endzone logo until some dude yelled at me to get the hell out. I asked him which way was the quickest and he actually told me, and nice enough too. I asked him how often he had to boot someone and he said "Tonight?" which answered my question.

Did I ever tell y'all about the time I put a curse on the Buffalo Bills?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2010, 10:37:18 pm »

I've seen maybe 100 Oilers games in person and at least that many Astros games.  I've also seen the Rangers play a few times in Arlington and I saw  St. Louis game once.  I've seen a ton of Rockets games even though I like basketball the least of the big three sports. 

Houston doesn't have a NHL team, but they had the Aeros back in the 70s with Gordie Howe and his two sons.  Saw them play a bunch.  I don't know what league they were in, but it wasn't the NHL.  I remember they played against the Winnipeg Jets and Edmonton Oilers before they joined the NHL. The Aeros folded instead of trying to join the NHL.  My memory is foggy on this, but it seems like they had a season ticket drive and they had to sell some certain amount of season tickets to get into the NHL, maybe 8000 seats, and they failed.  Anyway, I saw them play a few times, that was a lot of fun.

Now there is another Houston Aeros team which I saw play once with free tickets.  I didn't enjoy it as much as I did when I was a kid. 

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2010, 11:50:37 pm »

Quote from: pmcd9
Houston doesn't have a NHL team, but they had the Aeros back in the 70s with Gordie Howe and his two sons.  Saw them play a bunch.  I don't know what league they were in, but it wasn't the NHL.  I remember they played against the Winnipeg Jets and Edmonton Oilers before they joined the NHL.

World Hockey Association. WHA.

(I love me some defunct sports team history.)
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2010, 07:24:49 pm »

I used to watch the Anchorage Aces play a lot. They actually played pretty good hockey. I missed the year of the NHL lockout, when Scotty Gomez came back and played with them. I've heard it was like watching an adult play against Pee-Wees.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2010, 04:51:52 pm »

All I need to get a record of 3-1 is for Miami's Defense to score 54 fantasy points.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2010, 07:10:03 pm »

Hell, the Giants probably scored that last night, yeah?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2010, 07:40:38 pm »

Just out of curiousity, does anybody know what it means when a player's score is in blue and has an asterisk by it? 
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
« Reply #70 on: October 04, 2010, 07:54:58 pm »

It means that guy got points for something atypical of the position.  A good example is if an offensive player makes a tackle after a turnover, he gets 1 point for that.

If you go to your matchup page, you should be able to click on the score for anyone who is so starred, and it'll tell you what the extra points came from.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
« Reply #71 on: October 04, 2010, 09:09:24 pm »

Dear The Eagles -

     Do you think you could possibly wait to let your QB of record get killed in the fourth quarter next time?  Thanks!  XOXO


(And yes I know Vick did it himself, it's just... gah.)
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2010, 09:44:37 pm »

I'd just like to point out that Eli Manning's total of -3.75 fantasy points this week is the perfect example of how I hate quarterbacks who may look somewhat competent but do the little things that make them a big bag of team-dragging suck.

I know you played and all, but I ain't never see competence from Eli Manning.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2010, 10:43:47 pm »

Ah, the "game manager".
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2010, 11:11:03 pm »

I got Roddy White on my fantasy team.  His accomplishment in the SF game is a classic example of the inner conflict that besets fantasy players - what if one of your players has a career night against your favourite (RL) team?

On that topic, goddamnit Clements, how could you not cover the ball when you get hung up in traffic on an interception return?  All you guys had to do was sit on it for 90 seconds and you would have won. 
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 26   Go Up