Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Would Star Trek have had the same gravitas if Spock had been named Vince?

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 26   Go Down

Author Topic: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field  (Read 42346 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
« Reply #300 on: December 28, 2010, 07:27:38 am »

The Habaneros are 37 up on the Lab Rats, which is a wider cushion, but still not safe.  Lister has three players left, jaydub two.  This one could very well come down to what Michael Vick does for Lister and the Eagles on Tuesday afternoon.
The gap widened a bit with the Monday Night game.  Lister's Saints players did exactly squat, while Roddy White turned in a pretty good performance for a guy listed as "Questionable" on the injury report.  Tomorrow I see if my lead plus the contributions of Quintin Mikels (sp?) is enough to hold off Michael Vick. 
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
« Reply #301 on: December 28, 2010, 12:29:38 pm »

Right, not even Michael Vick can score 44 points, right?  Except when he put up 58 on the Redskins in November.

In the other semi-final, Brees and Moore weren't exactly spectacular, but good enough to give the Stew a 5-point lead on the Monkeys.  Asherdan has Vikings' tight end Visanthe "how did it look?" Shiancoe going this afternoon, while Nabu has Vikings D-lineman Jared Allen.  Were I betting on this, my money's on the Stew, but stranger things have happened.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
« Reply #302 on: December 28, 2010, 03:40:15 pm »

Yeah, I'd have been better off if Brees hadn't thrown that TD there towards the end. I wouldn't want all my eggs in a TE's basket (sorry about reinforcing the image of Shiancoe's basket for y'all) but then again Jared Allen won't be catching Vick, so it's almost certainly over for me.

I went into the postseason in first place in both my leagues, and I'm fixing to get knocked out in the first round in both of them. Maybe I should have rested my starters. I do have Vick in my other league, but I'm down like 50, so I don't know.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
« Reply #303 on: December 29, 2010, 12:23:23 am »

Former Fighting Irish player Dan Quinn's Wiki page. Didn't know where else to put this. I especially like:

Quote from: obviously Pat Quinn
While attending the school, he was involved in a bitter feud with evil Hall of Fame coach Lou Holtz and genetic miscreant starter, Frank Stamms. Quinn alleged that Holtz assaulted players, engaged in illegal point shaving by not allowing him more time on the field to make "spectacular fuck*ng plays."

and

Quote from: again, the nutjob himself
Quinn went on hiatus from MMA for four years, during which time he discovered the secret of cold fusion with stevia, the violin and prison, all in that order.

Solid work, Mr. Quinn.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
« Reply #304 on: December 29, 2010, 05:44:01 am »

Oh man.  That didn't turn out very well.  I recorded the game but I don't think I want to watch it.

While there's a long list of woulda-coulda-shoulda's, apparently T.O. was the one player making up for my other streaky WRs.  Welker did his patented team-first disappearing act, and Colston had about a 20-yard TD annulled by a false start.  Jacoby Ford won this year's "standout special teamer in a losing cause" award*.

Chris Johnson?  That commercial with the eggs and the watermelon, over and over and over.  I'm now kind of rooting for Jeff giraffeer to be fired so that the team's policy of spending no money** will take its full effect on the field.  Also, this is an awesome word filter edit.

*Also known as "The Cribbs"

**Unless it's on someone who can't handle the pressure of being an NFL quarterback!
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
« Reply #305 on: December 29, 2010, 07:55:35 am »

It's amazing to me that Jeff giraffeer has lasted so long.  A lifetime of watching Bud Adams meddle with the team and then fire one good coach after another when his meddling's didn't work out.  I haven't paid much attention to what's going on in Tennessee, but I assumed that someone else is running the team nowadays.  Adams must be 90 years old.  Edit:  He's 83.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
« Reply #306 on: December 29, 2010, 02:34:47 pm »

Oh hells yes.  Nabu had a glimmer of hope when Jared Allen scooped up a fumble, but in the end Asherdan gets juuuuuust enough out of Shiancoe to win by the aforementioned 68 one-hundredths of a point.  Nabu continues the fine TOUAMB fantasy sports tradition of the #1 regular season team getting knocked out in the first round of the playoffs.

Vick's disappointing evening means the Habeneros win convincingly over Lister's Lab Rats.  I'm sure a lot of fantasy football owners nationwide are cursing Michael Vick this morning.  After all he did for you, people!

So it's A Dude's Stew (Asherdan) vs. Habaneros (jaydub) for the champeenship.  Good luck, gentlemen.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
« Reply #307 on: December 29, 2010, 02:53:34 pm »

thought i had a chance at glory (fifth! after being last!), but my guys snatched defeat from the jaws of victory just like they like to do
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
« Reply #308 on: December 29, 2010, 02:57:07 pm »

Yeah, the Jared Allen fumble came too little, too late. However, last night was a fine example of what they always say the value of playing fantasy football is - being interested in games and players that you normally wouldn't be. Like I learned last night that Jared Allen is a showboating, overpursuing showboaty-overpursuer. For a guy who gets a lot of good press, he's very Ray Lewis-like in getting to the pile late or running off the screen and out of the play. To be fair to him, by the end they were basically triple-teaming him and daring other players to fuck up Mike Vick's shit. And they did.

Also, fuck giraffeer. The guy is done. He needs to be fired. His guys aren't playing for him anymore. I think it'll happen, because he isn't a VY fan and Adams is. And Jehu I hope we don't end up with Gruden.

Interesting (to me) point I recently read: Shanny has been nothing without Elway and is a mediocre coach at best who just lucked into getting a HOFer to make his bones with. I won't disagree.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
« Reply #309 on: December 31, 2010, 11:41:49 pm »

what
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
« Reply #310 on: January 01, 2011, 12:54:45 am »

Also, fuck giraffeer. The guy is done. He needs to be fired. His guys aren't playing for him anymore. I think it'll happen, because he isn't a VY fan and Adams is. And Jehu I hope we don't end up with Gruden.
You're a Titans fan?  I knew you carried the torch for the Chargers.  If Norval gets the axe, what would you think of Chucky at the helm there?  At least we wouldn't hear his witticisms on Monday Night anymore.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
« Reply #311 on: January 01, 2011, 01:00:30 am »

I should have added a carriage return there. That was what I meant - I might have to take a year or two off if we get Gruden, although he's proven he can win it all whilst capitalizing on another coach's hard work, so maybe . . . .

Seriously, though - I thought I lost last week, and now I'm in the championship? I'm not complaining, but did they re-score and decide Jared Allen's calf-roping sack dance was worth five points or something?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
« Reply #312 on: January 01, 2011, 05:41:18 am »

I guess a 0.68 margin of victory is shaky before the stat corrections go out.  I thought my matchups against Ash's team were more winnable.
Intersting move starting KC and Oakland's defenses.  Expecting that game to be a snore?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
« Reply #313 on: January 01, 2011, 01:15:37 pm »

Th' hell?  They must have adjusted something.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: The Frozen Tundra of TOUAMB Field
« Reply #314 on: January 01, 2011, 06:21:36 pm »

You're a Titans fan?  I knew you carried the torch for the Chargers.  If Norval gets the axe, what would you think of Chucky at the helm there?  At least we wouldn't hear his witticisms on Monday Night anymore.

Somehow, looking back and my response, I still didn't make it clear. Chargers only, no splitting the fanship. I was just commenting on the Titans, and that led into my abject terror at getting Gruden. I guess they're giving Norval and AJ another year, though. This way they can fire them five games into the season next year (barring a lockout) and next year will be in the shitter, too.

Speaking of that, is Marty's 14-2 the best season a coach ever got fired after? What's the next best - is it even 8-8?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 26   Go Up