Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Chris waited all day for the Comcast repair guy, and he never showed up. What is he supposed to do with this cream pie?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FTP clients for Mac  (Read 1883 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
FTP clients for Mac
« on: August 12, 2010, 01:16:49 am »

Hey guys,

Um, does anyone know of a good FTP client for OSX?

I am trying to do something for the radio station, and our tech guy is a "YOU SHOULD BE USING LINUX" turd, and I need to be able to FTP/SFTP (not sure of the difference...) in, move stuff around, and create symbolic links between files. The standard seems to be Panic's "Transmit," but if it can create symlinks, I can't figure out how.

I guess this is kind of going out on a limb since our active user base is like, what, 30 people? less?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: FTP clients for Mac
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 02:19:40 am »

I use FileZilla.  They have a Mac version, I can't directly vouch for it, but if it's as good as the Windows version then it's A-OK.
http://filezilla-project.org/
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: FTP clients for Mac
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 03:29:31 am »

the mac version of filezilla isn't nearly as good as the windows version, but it gets the job done. i'm sure there's an ftp plugin for firefox but i don't know if it supports sftp.

i've heard good things about cyberduck, but there's also a command-line ftp program built in if you're not afraid to get your hands dirty.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

fanta

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -32
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 128
    • View Profile
Re: FTP clients for Mac
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 07:09:43 am »

that's true - you can pop open a console window and voila - you've got an FTP client.  Of course, to really benefit from this, you need to be pretty damn comfortable with the command line, especially if you're working with file names that are long and/or have odd characters in them.

A quick google search reveals:

Fetch

cuteftp

Interarchy   http://nolobe.com/interarchy/

I am guessing that interarchy might very well be worth paying for.  You can try it for free.  I used it for a long time in the pre OSX days.  Back then it was made by some hard-core Mac geeks in Australia.  I'm not sure who's in charge of it now.  But by all means give it a try.

Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: FTP clients for Mac
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 07:37:01 am »

I don't even know what a ftp client is, but I have seen cyberduck on my roommates computer, so probably it is good?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: [1]   Go Up