Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that someone should really go fix up the Achewood Wiki, the Achewiki, which could serve as a knowledge base for all things Achewood?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: floods in pakistan  (Read 8894 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

fanta

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -32
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 128
    • View Profile
floods in pakistan
« on: August 18, 2010, 07:21:15 am »

damn, so they (the Americans) got a whole army over there, but I guess they're too busy killing babies and such to be much help to the people in Pakistan.  I think they just lost the war in Afghanistan.  More than they were already losing it, I mean. 
Logged

fanta

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -32
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 128
    • View Profile
Re: floods in pakistan
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 09:48:04 am »

I guess if you're gonna find yourself in harm's way, better to be in the company of many than in the company of a few, as this will better arouse sympathy of others... e.g. terrorism, you get offed by a terrorist, people will be like, 'damn sucks to be him,' but if a few thousand perish with you, congress will be like 'damn we need to bail out their families.' 

But Pakistan has outdone it's self.  They hit that optimal sympathy scale, and they just kept on going exponentially until the number of people in harm's way far exceeds the sympathy the world has for them.  If anything, it diminishes the sympathy, because people are like 'well, no one's gonna want to bail out that many people.  They're screwed.  oh well.  Might as well not do anything.'
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: floods in pakistan
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 01:41:12 pm »

Yeah, this seems to be getting a lot less attention in the States than either the Haiti earthquake or the tsunami a few years ago.  Sad.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: floods in pakistan
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 01:44:21 pm »

Part of that may be due to the nature of the disaster.  People hear "flood" and think, OK, there's some property damage and hell of cleanup involved, but you don't get the same image of cataclysmic destruction that you get when you hear "earthquake" or "tidal wave".
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: floods in pakistan
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 05:15:56 pm »

Anybody remember what happened around Nashville in May this year?

Horrible guitar carnage.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

fanta

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -32
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 128
    • View Profile
Re: floods in pakistan
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 06:04:25 pm »

I don't think it's because it's a flood vs earthquake as much as because it's brown skinned people vs whites.  Also because they're poor too.  And because they're all terrorists.  At least, in the U.S. I think that's how it goes.  The U.S. conservative mindset is a little ironic in this respect because this is a group of people who think war=good, and if you want the war, and you want it to be halfways winable, these people are key.

Trying to find logical explanations for the reaction in the U.S. isn't very logical given that this is a population that votes for politicians based on feeeeeling.  For logic I think you need some kind of reasoning capability no?
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: floods in pakistan
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 06:11:45 pm »

Am I the only one here who saw the numerous reports of US forces flying mercy missions ASAP to deliver aid faster and before taliban groups could? So that we can both help the people in trouble and improve our image in the area? Because these were all over the news and nightline. I'm not saying we went in and solved the crisis, but it is not like we just ignored it either.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: floods in pakistan
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 06:14:03 pm »

I don't think it's because it's a flood vs earthquake as much as because it's brown skinned people vs whites.  Also because they're poor too.  And because they're all terrorists.  At least, in the U.S. I think that's how it goes.  The U.S. conservative mindset is a little ironic in this respect because this is a group of people who think war=good, and if you want the war, and you want it to be halfways winable, these people are key.


Nothing like keeping an open mind instead of making broad based generalizations, is there?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Re: floods in pakistan
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 06:44:35 pm »

Anybody remember what happened around Nashville in May this year? So yeah, WHAT AUGUST SAID!

yes.  i don't know how bad those pansy-assed big city fancy-##### had it but herebouts it's still pretty fucked up.

i'm a gonna guess that pakistan isn't going to get a whole hell of a lot of sympathy from poor folk in nowheresville who lost their "rent to own" house and their "rent to own" big screen only recently and are still dicking around with FEMA.

also, is pakistan the one who hates the US or the one who doesn't give a shit about the US, one of those flood victims might ask themselves.

i wouldn't even hazard a guess as to wonder what folk on the gulf shore are thinking.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

fanta

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -32
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 128
    • View Profile
Re: floods in pakistan
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 05:12:51 am »

Nothing like keeping an open mind instead of making broad based generalizations, is there?

The current state of the art science tells us that the mind can grapple with at most 10 or so concepts or ideas at once.  Since the physical world is comprised of more than 10 distinct things, we need systems of organization.  E.g. chapters in books, political spectra (e.g. right to left), and so on.  If you don't agree with my way of categorizing things, that's one thing, but it's false to equate categorization and organization with close-mindedness.  You probably won't agree with how I categorize and organize things because I'm smarter than you.  That's okay, however.  We can't all be equally smart.  ; - )




Logged

fanta

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -32
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 128
    • View Profile
Re: floods in pakistan
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 05:18:28 am »

Am I the only one here who saw the numerous reports of US forces flying mercy missions ASAP to deliver aid faster and before taliban groups could? So that we can both help the people in trouble and improve our image in the area? Because these were all over the news and nightline. I'm not saying we went in and solved the crisis, but it is not like we just ignored it either.

Eh, that's just a dog and pony show.  But these are brown skinned people we're talking about, and not even Americans, so it'll do nicely.  Tons of supplies, tons!  and millions of dollars!  Yes that's right, millions!!  Initial response was like, a few helicopters.  You could count on your hands the number of helicopters devoted to the effort by the U.S.  I mean, if it wasn't all just a PR scam, there would be some acknowledgment on the part of U.S. officials that our efforts basically are a drop in the bucket and are unacceptable, and the reason for this is X or Y obstacles, and we're working to overcome those obstacles or whatever, but no, it's all just fuck*ng PR.  Hell, 75% of the gulf oil is gone, didn't you hear!  Gone!  Fuck this administration, and fuck any "news" source that gives it any degree of credence by parroting it's shit.  I mean seriously. 


Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: floods in pakistan
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 05:52:41 am »

Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: floods in pakistan
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 06:56:20 am »



^^^HES COMIN AS FAST AS HE CAN TO THE FLOOD PEOPLES

(Obvious troll is obvious)
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: floods in pakistan
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2010, 01:05:21 pm »

I'm smarter than you. 


Based on any so-called objective measure you'd care to name, I both humbly and sincerely doubt that.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: floods in pakistan
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 03:20:25 pm »

I'm just wondering, is this a more or less normal occurrence in Pakistan or is this a freak flood?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up