Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Crime drama, 1980: Magnum PI. 2005: NUMB3RS. One based on smiling and helicopters, one on showcasing higher math. Explain discrepancy.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Future porn  (Read 6273 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Future porn
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2010, 06:07:31 am »

To come in late: I really like this furniture because cartoons in the 1980s primed me to approve of things that become other things but in my head these will either be wonky and nowhere near as easy to operate as they seem in the video or so expensive that if I could afford them I could probably afford a bigger house, this might be based on a misconception of how much houses are going for these days, though.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Future porn
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2010, 11:37:41 am »

Oh okay, so youre a marxist. You could have just come out and said that, it aint a thing.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Future porn
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2010, 01:33:59 pm »

JL, you don't need a whole tiny house to write in, you just need a shed:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/13/AR2010091304465.html

Yay! Shed! I have one of those!

Unfortunately, it's full of bicycles.

Actually, I want the tiny house as a combination writer's retreat/guest quarters. I might even like to build it on a trailer so that we can take it with us on vacations.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Future porn
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2010, 03:08:27 pm »


Actually, I want the tiny house as a combination writer's retreat/guest quarters.

Tiny house?  This is not awesome.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Future porn
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2010, 04:53:58 pm »

I mean, the stuff Fanta is saying is not retarded, a dude won a not-Nobel prize in economics for his work on that. The problem is not lack of technology, but lack of efficient/"fair" distribution of resources and technology. The year Borlaug's hybrid crops were introduced to India, they were already dumping millions of tons of grain into the ocean because they had so much, but corruption/inefficiency kept it from being distributed. Maybe it's easier to increase production than to end corruption, though (someone will link to this sentence and say "DING DING DING" and ignore everything else in this post.)

Also relevant is this stuff and this professor who inspired me to switch majors.

I don't see how it is controversial to say that new technologies are not inherently beneficial or not-beneficial, and it's all about how we use them. "Guns don't kill people, people kill people."


I am glad that it is cheap for me to live in a big-ish apartment in Saint Louis. When I tell my friends in other towns how much my rent is, they weep.
Normally first they're like "oh, you pay that much each? That is really cheap" and I say "no, we pay that much COMBINED."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Future porn
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2010, 05:03:48 pm »

I mean, the stuff Fanta is saying is not retarded, a dude won a not-Nobel prize in economics for his work on that. The problem is not lack of technology, but lack of efficient/"fair" distribution of resources and technology.


I can't disagree with that, but that's not how I interpreted the Phanta(m).  He can speak for himself, but I took him to say that the technology itself was the problem.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Future porn
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2010, 06:46:29 pm »

Call me old-fashioned, but I always figured that prices increase when demand outstrips supply.

How, then, would decreasing the square footage of an apartment without sacrificing livability (and therefore being able to fit more comfortable apartments in a single building, increasing the supply to approach the level of demand) possibly cause prices to increase?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Future porn
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2010, 05:17:47 am »

(someone will link to this sentence and say "DING DING DING" and ignore everything else in this post.)

DING DING DING
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Future porn
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2010, 08:20:24 am »

DING DING DING

YOU ARE A DELIGHT


AND YOU READ THAT IN MY VOICE


(am i doin that rite)
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Future porn
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2010, 12:10:11 pm »

(am i doin that rite)

You know son, I think you might just be getting it.

Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Future porn
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2010, 02:05:23 pm »

You know son, I think you might just be getting it.


That's good news!  everyone...

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Future porn
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2010, 06:31:44 pm »

I can only give one of you a can right now, and that would be unfair, so no cans for any of you.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up