Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I had to look up how pi is derived. It has been sixteen years since the SAT, yet still, I feel very ashamed

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Blood Sugar Levels  (Read 4948 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Blood Sugar Levels
« on: August 21, 2010, 02:46:55 pm »

I've noticed a trend lately that some people won't say I'm hungry.  Instead they say "my blood sugar level is low."  I'm not sure I understand the psychology behind this.  It seems like they are trying to recast their hunger as a medical condition that they must treat by eating.

Have any of you noticed this trend?  Now if you'll excuse me I've got to get something to eat, my blood sugar level is low.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Blood Sugar Levels
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 03:03:54 pm »

My BFF said this the other day, but in her case, it was an issue where she realized she forgot to eat lunch and her head was starting to spin. It wasn't in the context of "I'm going to eat now," it was more like, "Excuse my not understanding what you just said, it was kind of complicated and my brain is being deprived of nutrients right now."

Otherwise, I think this is just a way of people saying, "I'm not just hungry, I'm hungrier than you."
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Blood Sugar Levels
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 03:24:59 pm »

Yeah, one of my coworkers says this.  It sort of annoys me.  She and another female coworker are both under the assumption that every woman in the office is on a diet or needs to loose weight.  They're both all about whatever fad is in the media at the moment too, which annoys the hell out of me.  What I say, silently in my head is "Stop reading articles about the weight loss befits of kwee-quay berry out loud.  If I want to hear the latest pop-science garbage, don't worry - it's everywhere already.  I don't need you to read it out loud while I'm trying to work."  It's like hunger or the desire for food for any reason other than sustenance has become shameful.  Fuck food issues.  (PS, I recommend reading In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan to anyone who will listen.)
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Re: Blood Sugar Levels
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 07:03:35 pm »

when i feel dizzy and shaky because i haven't eaten all day,
and i eat some peanut butter crackers and stop being shaky,
i assume it's something other than "i'm peckish".

Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Blood Sugar Levels
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 07:19:31 pm »

Blood sugar issues are best fixed with orange juice. Works basically instantly.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Blood Sugar Levels
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 05:16:30 am »

Yeah, I make that differentiation.  Hungry = stomach growling, thinking "really want food" on a more base level.  Low blood sugar = simultaneously tired and edgy, know I need to eat on more of a mental level rather than actually wanting food at that moment.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Blood Sugar Levels
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 07:03:56 am »

after 2 years of living with a dude who would fly into a rage about things like people saying "blood sugar is low" instead of "hungry," my response to anything is "i don't care."

maybe to a degree that is bad.

but I just don't care enough to get mad about what other people do. At this point. Unless it is like, throw their cigarette on the ground instead of an ashtray.

(seriously dogg, you are disrespecting both the earth and everyone around you, DBAC.)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Blood Sugar Levels
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 10:17:24 pm »

Oh, I'm not enraged, if that's what you are thinking.  More, I'm slightly bemused by this. 

But I posted this to ask the question, are humans with normally functioning metabolic systems really that sensitive to their blood sugar levels?  I was under the impression that in a normal person (i.e. non diabetic) it would take missing several meals to noticeably effect one's blood sugar level.  That if you skipped lunch and now it's dinnertime you might be tired and edgy from hunger, but your blood sugar levels are probably still fine.

I mean, the purpose of eating food is way more than simply to maintain one's blood sugar level?  I'm asking this seriously.  C'mon all you scientist in here, set me straight on this.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Blood Sugar Levels
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 10:32:11 am »

Yeah, hunger and satiety is caused by an interplay of two hormones called leptin and grehlin which are influenced by insulin and glucagon (the two hormones that regulate blood sugar levels) but it's not a simple relationship and lots of other stuff comes into it.
For instance leptin is produced by fatty tissue so the more fat you have the more you're going to produce regardless of what the rest of you is doing and there's tonnes of other factors like how full or empty different parts of your digestive tract are or how relaxed or aroused you are. So yeah, you could have low blood sugar but not exactly feel it as hunger or be hungry with perfectly normal blood sugar (this second one is how diabetes gets invited to your pizza party). Edit: Actually what I mean is abnormal hormone levels, not abnormal sugar levels the hormones keep the sugar pretty tightly regulated.

Personally I never used to get it when people busted out the blood glucose thing but just this last year I've noticed more that when I'm getting pissed off and unable to focus on stuff if chow down on an apple or similar I spring back to normal ridiculously quickly and can keep going for a couple of hours whereas before I would take it as a sign that I should give up for the night and go home. Often this will happen without me perceiving myself as being unusually hungry, just sluggish.

Addendum: Rereading your last post though Paul, someone who doesn't have diabetes probably shouldn't have an abnormal blood sugar level unless they are basically in a starvation state, what they will have is high levels of glucagon because their body is having to mobilise their energy stores to maintain a normal blood sugar level. So yeah, people probably aren't correcting their blood sugar level when they say this. I guess there might be dips in blood glucose levels when the body is switching between utilising glycogen which is easy to break down into glucose and fats or something which are harder though? Not sure.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 10:42:08 am by Doc »
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Blood Sugar Levels
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 02:49:38 pm »

I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant with the boy, so while I don't really understand all the biological science behind it, I can tell you how it feels.

A person with normal physiology who skips lunch might feel woozy, irritable, or lightheaded. A diabetic who skips a meal (or is having a blood-sugar crash after overindulging) feels like she is going to die.

Maybe this is because a diabetic having a bad day can have blood sugar levels drop into the 40s pretty quickly, whereas a normal person's "low blood sugar" cause by skipping a meal is likely to be closer to the the 70 - 80 range. All I know is, if I skipped breakfast while I was pregnant, I was back in bed for the rest of the day by noon.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 04:07:01 pm by jay-ell »
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Blood Sugar Levels
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 04:05:52 pm »

gestational diabetes

that fucks with my head a lot.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Blood Sugar Levels
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 04:07:24 pm »

that fucks with my head a lot.

....why?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Blood Sugar Levels
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 09:13:27 pm »

I can't follow this thread because it will make my Asperger's flare up.
Logged

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Blood Sugar Levels
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 09:44:29 pm »

....why?

the idea of a medical condition that only happens to a person during pregnancy is hard to wrap my mind around.  i didnt mean to sound so overly dramatic, its just.... weird.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Blood Sugar Levels
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 09:56:06 pm »

Hormones.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up