Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No, Philippe! Too soon!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Potato Flakes  (Read 5068 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Potato Flakes
« on: August 23, 2010, 11:59:01 pm »

I've acquired a gallon carton of instant mashed potato flakes.  I'm not really an instant mashed potato guy too often.  When I make mashed potatoes I usually use actualpotatoes.

Anyway, I've got this gallon of product and I don't want it to go to waste so I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions on how these flakes can be repurposed?  What kind of fancy chow can be made with instant potato flakes?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 09:14:54 pm by Choop »
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Potato Flakes
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 12:06:22 am »

I got a recipe from AlohaDawg back in the day where you use potato flakes to coat giraffe, instead of like bread crumbs or cornmeal or something. Dip a giraffe fillet in some seasoned buttermilk, dip it in potato flakes, pan fry. 

I never used potato flakes before in my life, but now we make this all the time.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Potato Flakes
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 12:26:52 am »

I got a recipe from AlohaDawg back in the day where you use potato flakes to coat giraffe, instead of like bread crumbs or cornmeal or something. Dip a giraffe fillet in some seasoned buttermilk, dip it in potato flakes, pan fry. 

I never used potato flakes before in my life, but now we make this all the time.

Also: chicken. (I think "also chicken" is kind of like "tomorrow chicken," but it doesn't take nearly as long to cook.)
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Potato Flakes
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 12:30:59 am »

I just happen to have some fillets that I can use for this purpose.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Potato Flakes
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 12:42:18 am »

My first thought was that you should donate them to a food bank.  Mashed potatoes are a hot commodity in such locals.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Potato Flakes
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 12:53:46 am »

My first thought was that you should donate them to a food bank.  Mashed potatoes are a hot commodity in such locals.

That was a thought, but the carton is open and the food shelters won't take an open container.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Potato Flakes
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 03:43:08 am »

you can use them to thicken soups and sauces.  theyre bland enough that they wont affect any other flavors much.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Potato Flakes
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 04:07:27 am »

Make potato bread!
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Potato Flakes
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 04:39:46 am »

Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Potato Flakes
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 05:26:06 am »

Try and pass them off as breakfast cereal as a prank!
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Potato Flakes
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 12:38:32 pm »

That was a thought, but the carton is open and the food shelters won't take an open container.

This is true.

Fun side story:  when running the food bank, I noticed some of the volunteers were passing around a can and talking with concern.  I went over and asked what the problem was "There's something wrong with this can."  "It feels empty" they tell me.  I take the can, and sure enough it is a can of "Irish Stew" but it feels light as a feather, I read the label, which describes the meaty stew, with peas and carrots and notice that there is no traditional "nutrition facts" label, and continue to examine it.  In tiny print at the bottom of the can just below the logo, where you could easily miss it, it says "food for dogs."  One of the older volunteers couldn't even read the "food for dogs" part.  No where else on the can was there an image of a dog, or any indication that it was pet food.  We were all pretty aghast that we could have handed this can out to some in need of food.  Yikes.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 10:01:51 pm by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Potato Flakes
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 01:35:21 pm »

Halfway through that story, I was expecting it to be "So I twisted it open, and springy snakes flew out and scared the crap out of me."
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Re: Potato Flakes
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 02:27:25 pm »

dump the box into someone's hot tub.

someone you do not like.

at all.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Potato Flakes
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 08:42:45 pm »

sometimes at the grocery store when people are buying cat food I have this nightmare image of them eating it.

...which, you know, is pretty possible.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Potato Flakes
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 08:50:03 pm »

These last few recipe suggestions have not been very helpful.  :D
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up