Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that someone should really go fix up the Achewood Wiki, the Achewiki, which could serve as a knowledge base for all things Achewood?

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Denise (19 Dec. 03)  (Read 8292 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Denise (19 Dec. 03)
« on: December 19, 2003, 02:22:03 pm »

Wow, am I the only one awake at 9:20 EST?  

Let me just say 2 things:

1) I'm so glad they have Friendly's in Hell.  It confirms my suspicions that Hell is actually northwest Ohio.  

2) The image of Beef as a fat slob is hilarious, but hard to swallow somehow.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Denise (19 Dec. 03)
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2003, 02:27:44 pm »

Has anybody ever been to a Friendly's that wasn't at or below the Denny's/IHOP level of grossness and/or took less than two hours to get your milkshake?

Now I wonder if you actually age in hell or if Beef is still thinking in terms of the living.

The strip wasn't posted yet at 8:30am EST
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Denise (19 Dec. 03)
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2003, 02:34:48 pm »

I'm awake!  I'M AWAKE!!

I ate at a Friendly's in Maryland about a month ago.  It wasn't completely awful.  Also, it was breakfast, so I was one of maybe three customers in the whole place.

Nice to know they have good-lookin' waitresses in Hell.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Denise (19 Dec. 03)
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2003, 02:57:08 pm »

Actually the Friendly's in my hometown (a suberb of Toledo) is really good.  Despite its being staffed almost entirely by yuppie kids, the service is reasonably decent and their food is a cut above Waffle House.  In fact, I make a point of going to Friendly's whenever I go up to visit my family because that particular one is chock-full of birthday party memories for me. Perhaps it's just ingrained in my early childhood memories, but I really like Friendly's.  Pedro seems to like it, too, even though he'd never heard of them before he met me.  So maybe it's just that one in Toledo that's good.  I've never been to any others.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Denise (19 Dec. 03)
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2003, 03:07:29 pm »

The ones in NoVa tend to be plagued by horrible service and complete ignorance of the concept "clean"

I've never actually had any non-ice cream items from one though. Much like I had no idea that DQ even served food until I stopped at the Gateway off the PA Turnpike. Ice cream places serving hot food, that's craziness right there. I mean, you don't see restaurants serving ice cream . . . oh, wait.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Denise (19 Dec. 03)
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2003, 03:43:34 pm »

Oh.  My.  Goodness.  

Crispy Chicken Salad.  I guarantee!  It will delight even the most sensitive palate.  Except vegetarians.  And people who don't like salad.  But it's still delicious.  Also, Munchie Mania is one of the better appetizer platters I've tasted in my lifetime.  Hot, fast, and tasty, it's big enough to share, but not so huge that it spoils your supper.  

But the best part of the meal is the "Happy Ending."  While it employs the same unfortunate terminology as a hand job following a massage*, it's a 2 scoop sundae that comes with just about every meal.  I almost always get the peanut butter cup sundae with hot fudge.  

'Cos, Damn.  

*Thank you, Dan Savage
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Denise (19 Dec. 03)
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2003, 04:51:59 pm »

I would expect Denise to be really hot since all the uggos go to heaven.

And Friendlies isn't really that bad, is it?  I mean, I always thought they were on the same level of chain restaurant as T.G.I. Fridays, Bennigans, and Chilies.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Denise (19 Dec. 03)
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2003, 05:14:03 pm »

:shock: jl, you're from Ohio? No *wonder* you're so damned cool. Have we talked about this? I'm from Dayton. And Columbus. So, yeah, I'm not so cool, but... Look! A deer!
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Denise (19 Dec. 03)
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2003, 05:16:16 pm »

Maybe it's a regional thing, but the 5 or so Friendly's I've been to around here (in 5 different neighborhoods) were all pretty skuzzy. One even close and turned into a Pollo Campero (who waits 2 hours for fried chicken?)
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Denise (19 Dec. 03)
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2003, 05:35:43 pm »

I have no idea what the fuck you're all talking about!
But hell the idea of Beef as a fat, nasty, hick, jerk is superb.
Yelling to your girlfriend, "You crappin'?"
That's class!

I love Beef's little train of thought on the subject too.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Doctor Vendetta

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 9
    • View Profile
Denise (19 Dec. 03)
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2003, 07:13:22 pm »

What so sort of dog would a cat own?  I'm guessing it'd have to be a chihuahua because of the size. :?:
Logged
Watch your arms, Kong

V-Adore

  • Guest
Denise (19 Dec. 03)
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2003, 07:17:39 pm »

I too find the image of Beef and Denise owning a dog sort of profoundly sad, in a funny way.

That's kind of the entire feel of this strip -- Beef's transformation is unlikely, but it's either something about Hell or something about Denise. Maybe both. Beef's lust does seem unusually direct.
Logged

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Denise (19 Dec. 03)
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2003, 07:28:35 pm »

Beef is a normal man.  He has needs.
Logged

sensate

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 111
    • View Profile
Denise (19 Dec. 03)
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2003, 08:36:01 pm »

Denise has a nasty Corolla instead of a Brat. Does that mean she's staff? Not a cat? Maybe she commutes to Friendly's from a deeper Hell?

God, I hate metaphysics.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Denise (19 Dec. 03)
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2003, 09:04:52 pm »

Excellent points.

Perhaps most striking: every time I've read "Denise" in connection with this strip, I've initially parsed it as "Demise." Downright... hellish.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up