Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Yay us!
Happy 9th Birthday to TOUAMB.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: My first retarded tech mini-project  (Read 3790 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
My first retarded tech mini-project
« on: September 02, 2010, 02:28:35 am »

I want to take something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Crosley-302-Desk-Phone-CR60-RE/dp/B000238LD8
And make it work with my cell phone.
Step 0.5 would be a basic cosmetic connection between the two devices.
Step one would be integrating the two on a basic level so that it rings when my cell phone rings. I have already seen a black model phone like this that plugs into the 2.5mm jack of a cell phone, but that doesn't come in red and does not come with the stand, it is only a headset.
Step two would be a dial interface.
Step three would be a more detailed integration where the red phone would have speed dial for each of its number keys.
End result: I have a red retro style phone next to my black networked office phone. The red phone for my cell phone calls and the black phone for my interoffice calls.


Any ideas?

Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: My first retarded tech mini-project
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 03:08:37 am »

My first thought would be to rip apart a bluetooth headset and use that.
Some quick searching reveals this and this which shows that others have thought along the same lines.

Edit: Look at that second link first, it's more along the lines of what I'd try, that first one looks like something for Advanced Users.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: My first retarded tech mini-project
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 03:19:52 am »

Awesome yeah, that gets me on the right path.
Voice dialing is an ultimate goal such that I can pick up the red phone say "call the boss" or whatever and bruce Springsteen gets a call from my cell phone contacts. Or more realistically "call hardware guy" and that vendor is called.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: My first retarded tech mini-project
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 04:39:25 am »

I mean a red phone on your desk should ideally respond to 'call Batman' and 'Get me the President' or the Pentagon.
No one need know that this actually speed dials your mother.

Actually, thinking a bit more about it, I'd imagine voice dialing would be easier to implement since that would be handled by your phone, whereas you'd have to find a bluetooth headset that has some sort of dialing functionality on it to get the keypad or rotary dial working on your red phone.
A red phone with absolutely no buttons on it looks kind of more important anyway.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 04:43:00 am by Doc »
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: My first retarded tech mini-project
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 07:14:45 am »

The only thing more boss than a phone with no buttons on it...

Is a phone with ONE button on it.

This is important.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: My first retarded tech mini-project
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 07:26:23 am »

Possibly a button that is also a light?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: My first retarded tech mini-project
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 07:39:01 am »

If you could make a really heavy, red, one button, one light bluetooth set up old phone that could make you money.  At least mildly internet popular? 

You could have an optional word like "President" or "J. Edgar Hoover" (that is what mine would be.  I hide my dope in a clogged out J Edgar Hoover book.) by the button.

Man, if this was done right it would be so boss.  You would just have to charge it and have the buttons hidden really well.  Also make it heavy.  Really Heavy.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: My first retarded tech mini-project
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 10:53:33 pm »

Ok so what is the deal with making it heavy?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: My first retarded tech mini-project
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 11:32:55 pm »

Because shit was heavy back in the day?

I guess if you're going to buy something for its nostalgic value, you don't want it to feel like a cheap, plastic piece of crap.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: My first retarded tech mini-project
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 11:54:08 pm »

It is the idea of the metaphorical gravitas turned back into literal gravitas.

ALSO: yes, more fun for smashy-smashy.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: My first retarded tech mini-project
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 01:41:23 am »

Ok so what is the deal with making it heavy?

Because actual dial phones that looked like that weighed about 8 pounds.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: My first retarded tech mini-project
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 02:35:51 am »

Now things have gone from big heavy important phones to little crap cordless phones to "what the fuck are you even talking about - you didn't carry your phone around in your pocket?"
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: My first retarded tech mini-project
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 03:03:21 am »

Yeah, I don't need to be a hundred years old to know phones used to be heavy. I have seen and used old phones. Old phones weren't even owned by the customer and they were heavy as hell. New phones are so light you can not even tell you are carrying one, and it can do a trillion different things. And it does those trillion different things so effectively that a 1% fuck-up rate is business killing.
I can't generalize for my entire generation, but everyone I know has entirely abandoned the landline phone. It is retarded. Why do I want or need a phone number than can only be used when I am within earshot of a particular fixture? Anyway, don't pretend that younger people don't know what phones are or how they used to work.

The device I am trying to build retains the aesthetic quality of an old phone and recalls the legendary red phone on the president's desk - While being entirely modern day functional. The housing of the phone is easy, that part is easy. The electronic components list I want to buy off-the-shelf and the operations of combining those parts is what I'm trying to get together.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: My first retarded tech mini-project
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 03:50:46 am »

why don't you contact sparkfun (from doc's second link) and see if they can do you one like you're talking, it'd be heck of easier than trying to rig it yourself
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: My first retarded tech mini-project
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 05:02:59 am »

Not tryin' to throw stones, A-Cap.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up