Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Young man on the #6 bus, The Doors were not a British band.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: La Tomatina  (Read 3372 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
La Tomatina
« on: September 06, 2010, 06:44:43 am »

Link to Pics on Flickr

Apparently this has been going on for 60 years or so in this little town in Spain.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: La Tomatina
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 07:14:38 am »

Sexy ladies smashing ripe juicy tomatoes all over each other once a year?

When will our backward American traditionalism ketchup with Europe?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: La Tomatina
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 08:55:48 am »

This town is someone's fetish.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: La Tomatina
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 12:20:48 pm »

Paul, you need to go!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: La Tomatina
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 08:39:47 pm »

Who goes to the one where a donkey goat is thrown off a church roof from a belltower?


*edited for reality check. Make that surreality check.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 04:38:58 pm by jaydub »
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: La Tomatina
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 08:51:46 pm »

Paul, you need to go!

No, I could never go to this.  It makes me sad just seeing the pictures of all the wasted tomatoes.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: La Tomatina
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 02:28:52 pm »

I never would have suspected Paul of having such sadly misplaced priorities.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: La Tomatina
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 02:53:43 pm »

You people KNOW how he feels about tomatoes. That is like the first thing I knew about Paul!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: La Tomatina
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 05:11:44 pm »

Paul, I feel you need to rethink this. Saying those tomatoes are wasted is like saying, if you glued, I don't know, bottlecaps all over a car, the bottlecaps would be wasted. This is performance art.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: La Tomatina
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 06:39:25 pm »

Paul, I feel you need to rethink this. Saying those tomatoes are wasted is like saying, if you glued, I don't know, bottlecaps all over a car, the bottlecaps would be wasted. This is performance art.

Canned for checkmate.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: La Tomatina
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 06:59:16 pm »

It just reminds me of the long months of winter when good fresh vine ripened tomatoes are so hard to come by.

It's harvest time when the tomatoes are juicy and bursting with flavor. They should be eating those tomatoes raw, and cooking them into a thousand different recipes.  They should be celebrating the plentiful harvest of tomatoes and not splattering them against a wall.

I guess this is akin to the running of the bulls in Pamplona.  Except at the end of the running of the bulls the bulls aren't lying in the street dead, their blood splattered on the walls.  

Also, you'd think that people writhing around half naked in a river of tomato sauce would be more sexy.  Sadly, it's not.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: La Tomatina
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 07:20:48 pm »

But if the tomatoes have souls...

Wait.

Wrong thread.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: La Tomatina
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 07:45:53 pm »


I guess this is akin to the running of the bulls in Pamplona.  Except at the end of the running of the bulls the bulls aren't lying in the street dead, their blood splattered on the walls.  


Uh, I thought the bulls were going to the bullfighting ring in Pamplona.  So at the end of the day...
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: La Tomatina
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 07:49:23 pm »

Uh, I thought the bulls were going to the bullfighting ring in Pamplona.  So at the end of the day...
...their testicles are on a plate, and their flesh feeds the poor.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: La Tomatina
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010, 07:51:59 pm »

Paul can't imagine that a place could just have too many tomatoes.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up