Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

I get so lonely up here. You never write, you never call.

sigh

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bluefinger  (Read 2431 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Bluefinger
« on: September 06, 2010, 07:28:28 pm »

Bluefinger is an album by Charles Thompson aka Black Frances.  The album is based on Dutch musician Herman Brood.

Catastrophic Theatre in Houston is presenting a a new Bluefinger rock opera in November.

I don't know anything about the show, but I do know that the music is gonna be fuck*ng great.  My friend Kirk is in the band and I got a chance to listen to them rehearse for a little bit yesterday evening.  Hell yes!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Bluefinger
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 07:48:26 pm »

Are they planning to steal all the Blue in Fort Knox?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Bluefinger
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 11:45:58 pm »

Lighten up, Frances (Francis).

I saw the Pixies, and I saw Frank Black on his own, and I gotta say it seems like that guy is always in a bad mood.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Bluefinger
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 01:39:29 am »

Agreed. 

The last time I saw him was at the Doug Fir a few years back.   It was the 8th time I've seen him live.   He plays some Pixies songs every time I see him, and they just get slower and more half-hearted each time.   I'd prefer he not play them at all.

At the same time: Since Honeycomb, I've had a harder and harder time connecting with his music.   I've kind of put him on notice.   Haven't checked out any of his Grand Duchy stuff...

It sucks when your musical idols don't die good and young as nature intended, and just keep pumping out product well past the "Sell By" date.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Bluefinger
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 01:25:42 am »

When I saw him solo a few years ago, he played the first few chords of Where Is My Mind, chuckled a bit after the crowd starting cheering, stopped, and then played another song. I thought it was hilarious buy my friend was really annoyed.

I'm seeing the Pixies in Vegas in a couple weeks. I don't care if they ever write another song again, but I love seeing them live.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Bluefinger
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 05:16:35 am »

When I saw him solo a few years ago, he played the first few chords of Where Is My Mind, chuckled a bit after the crowd starting cheering, stopped, and then played another song. I thought it was hilarious buy my friend was really annoyed.

I'm seeing the Pixies in Vegas in a couple weeks. I don't care if they ever write another song again, but I love seeing them live.

When we saw them we got the CD of all the Portland shows - it was like $20. It was a wise investment.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Bluefinger
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 01:38:17 am »

The Pixies are playing here next week as are the Black Crowes.  If I could afford one of those shows I would choose The Black Crowes.  Think of me what you will.

Anyway,, does anybody have anything to add to my original comment?  Me, I'm liking the Bluefinger, it's pretty good.  Not as good as the Black Crowes, mind, but I'm looking forward to seeing my friends perform it in November.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Bluefinger
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 01:58:37 am »

I would see the Black Crowes. Maybe not over the Pixies, I don't know. I'd like to see a couple brothers get into a fistfight onstage, and it's too late to see it with the Kinks or Oasis.

Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Bluefinger
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 02:46:46 am »

Go see my classmate's band.  He's a nice guy.

They were excellent when I saw them last year.  Luther Dickinson rocked.  Plus I got to meet Chris Robinson.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Bluefinger
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 03:12:05 am »

Luther Dickinson is playing in the Black Crowes?  Damn, I want to see them even more now? 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Bluefinger
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 06:13:44 pm »

Going to see the show tonight.  They were on NPR yesterday.  Hear some of the music here.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Bluefinger
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2010, 06:27:56 pm »

The show was awesome!

Matt Kelly as Herman Brood
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up